“Impressive property but disappointing service” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Luanda, Angola
“Impressive property but disappointing service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

The pros : beachfront location in posh neighborood of Miami. Impressive and modern building with very well fitted bedrooms.

The cons : disappointing booking management, despite early request for connecting rooms we were only informed that this wasn't possible upon checkin, despite being in regular contact with the hotel. We ended up never receiving the key to the second room (and not paying for it of course). Also no upgrade offered despite being a platinium SPG member. Restaurant for breakfast was clearly not sized for the number of guests staying at the property and this resulted in a large queue which is just unexpected for an hotel of this level. Buffet was mostly empty and items had to be requested individually.
Last but not least the butler service is certainly not matching the service levels experienced in St Regis Asian hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Olivier B
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Oursdur,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The St. Regis Bal Harbour. As a valued SPG Platinum member, I truly appreciate your feedback. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to upgrade you during your stay due to our occupancy level as we offer Platinum guests upgrades to best available room or standard suite whenever available.

I will share your feedback with our reservations department as well as the reception desk, for further investigation, review and training.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues with your further and I may be contacted at 305-993-3310.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel was an excellent experience. Spent a good amount of my time at the bar poolside. My bartender Chantal was attentive, fun, and great at mixing drinks. She's the reason I kept coming back! I was well taken care of even when I wanted to continue enjoying drinks on the beach. Service and staff were on point. Really nice hotel...if you have the money!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon J
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Sharon J,

Thank you for your compliments of The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our Pool and Beach area during your stay.

I am very pleased to learn that our team provided you with exceptional service throughout your stay and thank you for the kind words and lavish praise you bestowed upon Chantal - I will share your good feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a beautiful property. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Public areas great. Spa and Fitness Center top notch. Family pool plus quiet pool for adults. Food service at pool excellent. J and G an excellent restaurant. Close enough to South Beach to head down for dinner but escape for peace and quiet at night.

But most important is the service. Somebody is paying attention in the hiring process. Everyone we encountered was professional and intuitive. The opposite of the Ritz cookie-cutter playbook. Kudos to Lauren at the pool and Jose on the bell staff,,,professional and engaging individuals,,,

Its about time a property like this opened in Miami.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear plecticel,

I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, and we hope to have you back to the Resort soon.

Thank you!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I usually enjoy the scene in South beach, but sometimes, you just want to get away from it all. St. Regis is not budget friendly, but when compared to the service at other hotels, it stands out. Everyone on the staff seemed to enjoy working there and have no problem going above and beyond to help with whatever you need. Refreshing! I hate having to deal with nasty attitudes from under paid and over worked staff. The pool was lovely. Small, but lovely. Bartenders were great. Chantel (or Chantal) was an excellent mixologist! Her drinks were yummy but not watered down. She listened and got it right each time - all WITH A SMILE. That alone made this hotel worth it. Why spend $$$ only to be disappointed with your drink & deal with an attitude when you send it back?!

If you want to experience the beach, you don't have to sacrifice luxury. The wait staff sets you up nicely with cabanas/umbrellas and bring your drinks to you! That's what you call service. Ashley made sure we had everything we needed and didn't miss a beat! Will definitely come back (have to save up the piggy bank first though).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aldine F
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Aldine F,

Thank you for your compliments of The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our Pool area and the Fresco Pool Bar during your stay. Thank you for your kind words upon Chantal and Ashley, I am pleased we were able to exceed your expecations. The pool & becah staff works especially hard to make every guest feel special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the bbest address in the future.

Warmest,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

What can I say the absolute best part of this hotel is the beach and the service provided by the Fresco Bar staff. There was one bartender by the name of Chantal. She Is very personable and great at her job. She was very attentive in making sure my drink was just right. She also made sure to ask me if I like sweet tasting vs something with a little kick. You can tell she enjoys her job because her service even when dealing with others remained the same 5 STAR!

I also had great service on the beach itself given by Ashley. She made sure to check in on me and others I was with continuously.

The pool/beach area has some great staff and for the amount the rooms costs I am very pleased at the turn out of my vacation.

Stayed August 2012
3 Thank milehiclub
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear milehiclub,

I wish to extend my sincere gratitude for your recent review of The St. Bal Harbour. I am pleased to hear your overall experience was excellent and I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our staff and leaders.

It will be my pleasure to welcome you to our address again very soon.

Kind Regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is my first time writing a review but, really enjoyed the rooms at this hotel. I dont think you can find nicer rooms anywhere in the world! The check-in process I did not like, the front desk took too long. The pool is quite small and the service there was not very good either. If you are looking for a great place to stay that is not very crowded like in south beach, then this is a great hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank benrbibo
Dear benrbibo,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comment. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our our guest rooms.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all feedback we can get. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your registration, I will share your feedback, for further investigation, review and training.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

2 weeks ago, my husband and I visited the St. Regis Bal Harbour for 5 days to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The pictures online do not do this wonderful resort justice. From the elegant artwork and dazzling jeweled-like walls of their lobby, to the inviting modern rooms (all of which have stunning views) everything was perfection. Some technologically stunted folks may not enjoy the key-card only floor access and touch screens, but techies like my husband and I found them awesome (and free Wi-Fi!). All of the staff was attentive and warm (Loved those we chatted with in particular: one of our butlers Alexander who showed us to our room, Hamilton at J&G Grill, and Pedro at Atlantico!).

We did eat at both of the resort's restaurants, Atlantico for breakfast and J&G Grill for dinner. This is not the resort to visit if you're very money conscious - this is Bal Harbour folks! The prices at J&G Grill may be considered high - but as a native New Yorker, I considered the prices very reasonable for the superb quality of cuisine. The breakfast buffet at Atlantico wasn't extremely extensive (you can always order a la carte), but the food served was very good. For lunch, we were usually at the pool so we enjoyed burgers and fries at the pool bar (I recommend advacado and bacon as a topping for your burgers).

I did enjoy the fact that there were two large pools on the premises for guests only - one for adults only and one for families. The adults only pool is quite tranquil and we loved it. We visited the spa for a couples massage - Claudia was amazing! The service was romantic and relaxing.

The moon was full and bright during our stay, which made for an awesome night-time beach visit, an experience which I recommend (the beach is quite safe but always use caution).

Now about the butler service and the team at the St. Regis - they were the kindest and most exceptional team of which I ever had the pleasure of dealing. Champagne (very delicious, not the cheap stuff!) was delivered to our room on the first night with a note to congratulate us on our anniversary. On our anniversary date, after returning from dining at the Setai in South Beach (of which was awesome Asian cuisine!) we opened our hotel room to pink rose petals on the bed in a heart shape, and a thoughtful (well researched) gift - a frame with two images, on one side was a picture from our wedding announcement the year earlier with our wedding date below it and on the other was an image of our honeymoon hotel and the St. Regis. This gift warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes. This anniversary will be remembered and cherished always.

A huge thank you to the exemplary team at the St. Regis Bal Harbour - we will visit again soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josey W
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Josey W,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary, we are honored that you chose to celebrate this special occasion at The St. Regis Bal Harbour.

Hearing feedback from guests such as you is one of the many reasons our staff members are so proud to be a part of The St. Regis. Thank you for your kind words and we hope you will visit our address again soon.

Kind Regards,

W South Beach
W South Beach
#8 of 206 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,343 reviews

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!