“Best Hotel Experience”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I chose this hotel to surprise my wife with a 20th anniversary trip. She has many food allergies so eating out can take much of the fun out of the travel experience. I planned ahead by calling Chef Jordi Valles who assured me that we would have no worries in his hands. When we arrived we were greeted by a gracious staff. They asked if I wanted champagne and I said coffee would be better and within 5 minutes I had a latte in hand. For our anniversary they gave us a room upgrade. The rooms were magnificent anyway, but the upgrade was over the top. We opened the door to find a nice note and giant fruit basket including exotic fruits. We joked that we should call and invite a dozen of our best friends to join us. The Hotel was clean and beautifully furnished. The beach view from the 22nd floor was awesome. We were never without immediate service to our needs. Place a call to the desk and receive, in minutes! The dining was incredible in every way. The food delicious and service impeccable despite the issues with allergies. Everyone was aware and careful to help. On our anniversary Jordi had prepared a special allergy free cake for dinner. It was wonderful and we brought home the leftover! Every evening we would arrive to our room and discover a special allergy free treat he had prepared for us. We enjoyed every minute of the trip and decided we would make it an annual event, so we'll be back! Thank you to Jordi, Franco, Nigel, Paul and everyone I forgot!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Stephen H,

Thank you for staying at The St. Regis Bal Harbour during your visit to Miami, Florida. I am very pleased to learn that our team provided you with exceptional service throughout your stay and that we made your wedding anniversary special. Thank you for the kind words and lavish praise you bestowed upon chef Jordi and the culinary team - I will share your good feedback with our associates.

The St. Regis Bal Harbour and its entire team is look forward to celebrating your 21st anniversray with us in 2013!

Warmest Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a beautiful property in a very nice location right on the beach and opposite the Shops of Bal Harbour. The rooms are large, with amazing terraces and good views. The only criticism is that they are close to the condominium residences so privacy is not great. We stayed there after they had only been open a few months and they had clearly hired some very inexperienced staff who were still learning. In another few months it will be better.

Room Tip: Get as close to the ocean as possible to avoid the feeling of being right on top of the condo reside...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jsimke
StRegisManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Jsimke,
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the beautiful resort and spacious guestrooms, which are indeed expansive, and with the 210 square foot balconies in the standard guestroom, are the largest on the eastern seaboard. As for privacy, I did want to let you know that we are installing privacy screens on all balconies, so when you return you will have much more privacy between guestrooms than before. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just got back from our first experience at a St.Regis property. Beautiful location, spectacular amenities, and wonderful staff. Do yourself a favor and book your next getaway at St.Regis in Bal Harbour. Loved it!!! The restaurants on the property were excellent. The entire staff were warm,polite and attentive. A perfect vacation spot for families or couples.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Fotdal
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Fotdal,

I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, and we hope to have you back to the Resort soon.

Thank you!

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

So perhaps I'm just too picky but here goes. The hotel is really beautiful. However, it's not without its challenges. Check-In was fine. We got upgraded to a suite and it was one of the best hotel rooms I've ever been in. The strange thing was that the room was hot. So we just figured since it wasn't occupied that a few hours of air conditioning would cool it off and it would be fine. Went to the bar/lounge. Has got to have the most uncomfortable furniture I've ever sat on in a bar. (We were told they're replacing everything as it's clearly not working).

Come back to the room..still hot. In fairness to the hotel, it was late and I wasn't about to move at 11 p.m. so I didn't call the front desk. One of us slept on the sofa in the living room because it was so bloody hot in the room. Long story short - the air conditioning's cold water intake wasn't turned on so the room wouldn't get cool. Had maintenance in the room the next morning to correct the issue.

The adult pool...or was it? Between the constant construction noise on the condo building behind us and kids showing up it didn't make for the most relaxing experience. Loved the massages at the pool!...But we had to point out to the staff many times that little kids were in the adult pool. For $3k for four days, I want peace and quiet as advertised. The kids have a pool. Go use it. The other annoying thing is that while the help was very nice they disappear for blocks of time and we couldn't figure out where they went to. It's a lovely pool but enforce the rules. Also, the condo residences use the adult pool as a pass through and we moved at one point..all these 2 and 3 year olds constantly walking back and forth was annoying.

Dinner. The trainwreak at J&G. Long story short - a server knocks over a glass of wine and from there, the entire meal was downhill. We had to move tables and we didn't make a big deal about it but for $500 for two people it just ruined the evening. They sent out a pizza while we waited for all of the replacement dinners but it just wasn't a good experience. I need to teach them how to use a grill for steak. Terrible.

Parking. If you don't call at least 10 minutes ahead to the valet - forget it. It's a wait.

Beach Staff was terrific. That was a great experience.

We've been to the Mandarin in Miami probably 10 times so it was between them and the St. Regis. I'd go back (in-season at the hotel restaurant for breakfast has got to be interesting (it's so small) so I'm not sure if I'd risk in-season.) I have somewhat of a jaded view of hotel help because the benchmark to us is Las Ventanas in Cabo and every resort hotel should send their people there to learn how to really take care of guests. The St Regis needs some time to get humming on all cylinders.

Pool food. Ok. Rather unimpressive for this type of hotel. Elevators. They're the lastest and greatest in technology where your room key tells you which elevator to use. Several times we ended up on the wrong floors??. and a few times we ended up in the basement when we were the only people on it. It was strange and rather annoying.

As for us going back. Debatable. It's a beaufiful place but it's one of those hotels that can't figure out what it wants to be. Is it truly a resort catering to wealthy families or is it going to cater to everyone? Time will tell.

5 Thank ktellison
StRegisManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear KTellison,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear you loved the beauty of the hotel, the suite with its sweeping ocean views and the beach staff that truly strives to provide bespoke service. I reviewed your comments about your stay with us and wish to apologize for the air conditioning issue. We have since resolved it, but truly apologize that it marred your stay. We are also looking into additional signage for the adult Tranquility Pool. Finally, I apologize that your dinner at J&G was not up to your expectations. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to imporve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact me at Dant.Hirsch@stregis.com.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed at the St Regis with my husband and two teenage children in July. We have stayed at other hotels in the Miami area (Ritz Carlton, Acqualina, Mandarin), all good but this is by far our favourite and will definitely stay here again. The hotel is beautifully designed and the rooms are spacious and luxurious. The pool area was busy but we sat at the adults only pool which was heavenly. The staff were all really friendly and nothing was to much trouble. I didn't find the service slow at all as has been reported in other reviews.

A special mention for the lady who took our yoga class on the beach. I can't remember her name but she was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Adele44
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Adele44,

I wish to extend my sincere gratitude for your recent review of The St. Regis Bal Harbour.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your yoga class at the beach and the time spent with Tracy, our celebrity trainer. Tracie's extensive background in spiritual and religious studies has impacted her unique teaching techniques and healing works, and her personal “Power Yoga Sequence” has become a national craze and liberated many elite and celebrity cliental.

I hope to welcome you back to the best address in the near future!

Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Get transformed to a different realm at this hotel. Inside and out it is a wonder to behold. Worth at least one visit. Location is ideal right in the middle of Bal harbour with Sunny Isles Beach just to the north of it and south beach a little further south. Don't miss out on this experience at least once.

1 Thank Juan_C_305_704_7791
Dear Juan_C_305_704_7791,

Thank you!

Wellesley, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the resort the week of July 4th. Relative to comparable hotels, the experience was "okay" but not great. A few tangible examples:

Positives:

- The property is gorgeous!
- The experience we had at the cabanas with butlers Ed and Jefferson was great.
- The food we had from the pool bar was also good - very fresh and tasty.
- We did the barbeque on the 4th and that was good for a buffet.
- The butler and concierge staff were very attentive to our emails in the days before arrival as we set up various reservations.
- We enjoyed a spa treatment and the locker room
facilities are truly exceptional.
- And the complementary massage treatments (think Virgin Airlines upper class amenities) were a nice touch.

Areas for improvement:
- As Starwood Platinum members, our room was guaranteed for 4pm check in but was not ready until almost 5. This probably sounds like not a lot of time, but we had been told we would definitely be in by 4 so we milled around waiting. No one from reception called at 4 to let us know the room was not yet ready. My wife finally got fed up sitting down at the bar and called and found out that the room was ready at 4:45.
- No folio with our car/dinner/etc reservations was given to us at check in. We had to ask for one, and it is incomplete.
- The person who showed us around our room gave a very cursory overview. This was really unhelpful especially since there is a central console that controls the shades/lights etc that we had to fumble around teaching ourselves that night.
- The bathroom has a TV powered by its own remote. The remote wasn't there at check in and never materialized after repeated requests.
- The website says there are coffee makers in the Astor suites but there wasn't one in our room.
- There was no hair dryer in the room. My wife realized this as she was getting ready for dinner. When she called to request one it didn't show up for 30 minutes and this made time extremely tight to finish getting ready.
- No one offered to unpack our bags or bring up coffee in the morning; we have had butler service with other St. Regis hotels before where this was offered.
- We rented private cabanas for a few days; the phone in ours (Hibiscus) did not work. Also there should be hooks in the shower area of the cabana to hang robes and towels after a shower.
- We had reserved a poolside cabana for the third day and the larger cabanas the first two days. At check in the receptionist informed us that the amenity for being a platinum member is a poolside cabana but she said she didn't think we needed one since we already had one
reserved. I suggested perhaps she just take off the $150 charge and leave the reservation which accomplished both goals. She said she would do that, but then we got to the pool on the third day and there was no cabana reserved for us. Fortunately Jefferson knew we planned on using the cabana and had set one aside for us. This is when having a folio would have been helpful. (We also had asked for an Ocean View daybed, but due to the snafu were stuck in the back by the spa.)
- On the larger, private cabanas - the hotel could space out the use of cabanas instead
of piling people on top of each other. There are 8 of the large cabanas and they were filled from right to left as the day went on. Why put 3 parties in the first three cabanas when you could provide more privacy for guests by spacing cabana usage out until all 8 are filled?
- J&G food was great, but service was average.

On the plus side, we did bring these concerns to the attention of management and they were responsive.

Overall we really did have a nice time; we would consider coming back. The signature disappointment is that the little things that were wrong add up and, collectively, detract from an experience that should have been perfect.

The hotel's goal is to become the first 5 star hotel in South Florida. Our hope is this review helps them get there.

Room Tip: The Astor Suite we stayed in was quite nice; quiet, with a semi-private balcony and great views of t...
4 Thank l_l_sx
Dear I_I_sx,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your 4th of July stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the property, the Oceanfront Day Villas with butlers Ed & Jefferson, the cuisinie, oceanfront 4th of July barbecue, St. Regis Signature Butler service, spa and the poolside amenity of complimentary massage samplers.I reviewed your comments regarding our stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and apprecaite all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the issues you had with check-in, the cabanas, the electronics and the introduction to your room, and want to assure you we have addressed these with our staff members. Again, thank you for your comments, which help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. Should you wish to discuss your experience further, I invite you to phone me at 305-993-3310. We are glad your are considering a return visit and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bal Harbour
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,245 reviews
COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach
#3 of 207 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,307 reviews

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!