“The Best on Miami Beach!”

The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Indianapolis
“The Best on Miami Beach!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The review below me just nailed it so I will not elaborate (looooove that review,btw!). We're here now for 5 nights. It is truly fabulous. I would recommend it to anyone not needing or wanting the party/bustle-hustle of SoBe at their doorstep. I have been relieved and elated to come back to the welcoming, luxurious entrance of The St. Regis every night after dining out in Miami Beach. The rooms are outstanding. Just like the photos. The only issue is service - as described by Spades below. At the pool and even the beach... (Why aren't they pushing drinks when the gratuity is automatic??) Umbrella charge for any guest is silly. All in all, we are thoroughly thrilled with our stay and would come back our next trip if we can be so lucky.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seat 1C, Delta Airlines
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Well, mirrors on the wall anyways....

I really want to give this hotel a 5. It is so sweet as a facility and I think there are a lot of people who are trying very hard to make this a great experience. I am also a Starwood bigot and a plat member. Was treated very well, but yet, you have to go into this with eyes wide open.

Off ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light....

There has been much written already, none of which I can refute, about how there are service issues and whether this place is still on shakedown cruise. Staying in May, I can say...

they Stab it with their steely knives, but they still cant kill the beast....

Such a lovely place...

This is a FANTASTIC building. Anyone complaining about the technology ought to turn in their ipods and tripadvisor login IDs and go back to their 78 Pontiac and live the rest of their lives with paper and pencil - Philisitnes. First rate. Fantastic controls, and even automatic curtain reset to keep the room cool. If you do not understand it, you need to check out and go to the Best Western. Cool / Heat, auto, manual... in the wall. That is you.

Then she lit up a candle, and she showed me the way

The SPG benefits were good. Upgraded to a butler-served mini-suite, although you should probably push the best-available button as I got upgraded to a full suite after some issues with the TV in the first room that could not be resolved. Was BLOWN AWAY with the quality of the full suite. Just amazing. The room, the decor, the amenities, the space, the balconies. UNBELIEVABLE.

This could be heaven or this could be hell....

If you get hypertensive about service and flawlessness in 5-star resorts, move on. This is not the place for you. While I had hoped that they would have stuck the landing at this point being open for 5 months, still an amazing amount of gaffes. Considering how many people are around, how much invested in technology, etc., would think this would have been flawless.

The things - hoping that the GM is actually reading this - that really needed addressing, include the following:

1) The cable in the workout facility was out, essentially, for the duration of my stay. I look forward to being able to work out while keeping up on the markets, or while wasting my time watching NBA playoffs. It was knocked out during a storm the first day there, and was not restored until noon the day of checkout, despite TV being maintained in the rooms. Huh? WTF? I am sorry, just do not understand. It is FL. It rains. Deal with it

2) Was walked in on at 1:30 pm by housekeeping supervisor despite having gotten a 3 pm checkout earlier, and NO delay between doorbell ringing and the person entering. Bad bad bad. Sorry if you called while I was returning to the room, that does not entitle you to enter the room while ringing the doorbell. Get your checkouts coordinated and do not, under any circumstances, leave with the - OK, I will check tha t- threat on my checkout. Bad bad bad.

So I called up the captain - please bring me my wine - we havent had that spirit here since 1969

3) The service level in and around the pool areas was abysmal. Getting the attention of a service person was the equivalent of hailing a cab in NYC in a rainstorm. This, despite the atmospheric prices and the number of people (I counted 20) in the huddle as I went into the pool area. The one exception I will say, is the beach area, who clearly knew more about what their mission was. Ricardo and Carlos were exceptional.

Will say - a lot of goodwill lost with the $25 umbrella fee at the beach. You want me, as SPg plat, to get skin cancer? Hmmmm.... ROI on that is not positive. Hyatt did not charge me for the umbrella in Aruba. RC in PR...need I go on?

One final comment; if you are looking for a place that is serene, move on. This is the Bal Harbour equivalent of a Vegas hotel on the strip. Both pools and the beach were marred by smokers, kids and cell phones. Maybe it is me - and I know I will go back to islands vs. the mainland, but I was hoping at least a certain amount of this would be free from cell phones and business deals. There were people that would take cell phone calls, speak loudly CAN YOU HEAR ME? and wander around the pool area in front of where I was laying out and take their concall. Excuse me, this is what I wanted to get away from. The only serenity in this place is on your balcony. Anything else is illusory. Also - there is a TON of construction noise during the day. If you like the sound of cement grinders and cutoff saws...you have arrived.

Perhaps it was my expectations, or silly hope, but thought for the price (even in points) that this would be better. Gawd I wanted it to be. But, before - or if - I come here again, a couple of years have to pass.

BTW - if you do go, do rob a bank; I have been to a lot of places, and the prices for splurges - be it drinks, a spa treatment, etc., were freightening. I do not think I have seen anything more expensive. Too bad, as I did not see a whole lot of traffic into the restaurant, bars or spas. Not all of us are Russo-petro tycoons.

Recommendation - if you are considering taking a taxi from MIA...I thought the same thing, but decided to RAC at the last minute. Very glad I did, able to gather some things from Costco and make better of it. 2 days tops, otherwise you will be out of walking-distance activities and restaurants.

How they dance in the courtyeard...sweet summer sweat...some dance to remember..some dance to forget...

Suggestion to St Regis - make one of the two pool areas - and half the beach area - kid/cell/smoke free. There are people in the residences (as opposed to the hotel) who are destroying the experience on all three accounts. Nice that they have the opportunity, but I really did not want to deal with that while I was here.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door. Had to find the passage back to the place I was before....

Room Tip: 01 and 02 rooms are full suites, 02 and 04 mini. All good. North quieter, but you see nothing of t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank kingofsp8s
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2012

As a travel consultant, I visit a lot of hotels. None have been as impressive as the new St. Regis Bal Harbour just north of Miami Beach.
The designers stopped at nothing in giving it that "wow" factor. Yet, it's not stuffy or pretentious like some of the properties on South Beach. This hotel is right ON the beach---not across the street from it like most of the others. And what is across the street are all the designer boutiques at the enthralling Bal Harbour Shops. Gentlemen, guard your wallets. You may have to tear your wives away.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the water; but there is only a small difference between ocean view (you'...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marilyn M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I've stayed at some incredible hotels, but this place takes the cake. Yes, there are a few (minor) kinks to be worked out, but nothing that would keep me from coming back. And the hotel *has* only been open since January. The level of service is outstanding; second to none. The food at both restaurants is excellent, as well. And did I mention the complimentary head/neck and foot massages poolside? I know where I'm staying when I go back to Florida!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view. The only downside is the lack of privacy because of the hotel design...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 6, 2012

On arrival we were impressed by the feel of the hotel.The first room we were shown was gorgeous with a large terrace but on the 18th floor.I don't love heights and it felt much higher than 18. The views were great butI still didn't feel comfortable.The staff quickly changed us to a lower floor no problem at . The elevators are operated by your room key card.You swipe it before entering your directed to a elevator bank and you are lifted directly to your floor .No internal elevator button to push.Once in your room all electronics are at your fingertips.With a swipe of your hand your lights go on and off.The pool areas ,gym and beach are all very nice.My only complaint is the lack of bathrooms in the outdoor areas. There is only one stall by the pool.The only other option is returning inside to use the health club facilities or the main lobby.The restaurants were all very good within the hotel.Staff was very attentive across the board.In general we really enjoyed our experience .

Room Tip: If you can get a corner room and like sweeping panoramic views try for a high floor.But all rooms ha...
Boston
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My husband and I were here for four nights and have never been more fully attended to. While the grounds are gorgeous, the decor divine, and the fare fantastic, the service stands out as supreme.

Service: quick, friendly, and attentive but never suffocating. Staff in the spa regularly ask if there is anything you need and also offer water (they do this in the gym as well, and also bring by cold face cloths on occasion). Particular kudos to .

Spa: Love the scrub--it's outstanding; the facial and pedicure are skillful but only a bit above standard

Grounds: huge planters aplenty; tidily kept. family pool w/ kids separate from adult pool which is quieter; tons of poolside lounge chairs. quick beach access w/ (again) tons of chairs

Decor: upscale, modern but not austere, glamorous but not gaudy soft upholstery w/ punches of purple set among sparkling glass and metal

Fare: we had one lunch at the poolside restaurant which was okay but a bit pricey for what you get. J&G Grille was FANTASTIC! especially for lunch. Burger was the best--truffle spread; truffle pizza also delicious, as was the lobster salad. We went across the street for a couple of dinners (La Goulue and Carpaccio) but at the rest of our meals at J&G (which we had all our meals there).

One caution is that some of the butler services apply only to suites. We had been to the St Regis in Bora Bora (where all the accommodations are suites) and were treated to the full range of services. At Bal Harbour, I ordered coffee and tea service and thought it was complimentary.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear beantownqueen,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful experience with us and that our staff took great car of you. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Dant Hirsch
Hotel Manager
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay here for a long weekend getaway. From the moment we got there until the moment we left, we were never let down. It is a beautiful place away from all the craziness of SoBe. The staff are incredibly professional and friendly. The rooms are exquisite. The views are amazing. We will definitely be back and without hesitation recommend this place to everyone

1 Thank Albertomiami
City Center
W South Beach
W South Beach
#12 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!