“Expected better...counting on improvements” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Washington, DC
“Expected better...counting on improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent 4 nights here. This property has so much potential, but the service was what you'd expect at a Marriott or Hyatt. Our delux suite was beautiful; however, the walls are paper thin. Our East European neighbors (understandably still adjusting to the time zone difference) decided to blast techno music at 6am. We called the butler who made sure they eventually turned the music down. At check in, we found the suite less than sanitary. A hair on the nightstand, a hair in the WC, and another hair on the sofa. The butler made sure someone came and cleaned immediately...so much for first impressions.

The housekeeping service was atrocious. Maybe I expect too much, but for $1k/night, I expect to have my suite cleaned each day, especially when I leave at 10am and return at 3:30pm. We did get housekeeping service the following day, but they forgot hand towels and soap...and never brought them!

The butlers are nice people...they mean well. Many were just plain inexperienced. Again, all were friendly, just not qualified to be working in this hotel.

The pools! Nice water and nice view, but why is their a lemon from the previous day still on the lounge table? Why are there palm leaves on the patio? Just plain dirty. Also, why are you so understaffed?

The positive of the pools...a great bartender (Antonio) as well as a few others. He and a couple of others definitely know service. I guess superior service by a few offsets the poor service by the majority.

Four Seasons, Ritz Carleton: consistent 4-star service. The experience here was so much less.

Positives: I must say that Ali, the manager, as well as the pool manager- John (I believe), were the most service oriented managers I met in a while. I'd definitely hire both in a flash! They did everything they could to accomodate for the sloppiness of the service. Also, Sean, in the Lobby Bar, was great! He was friendly and knowledgeable...and very helpful. Again, Antonio at the pool bar, was great! Fun to chat with and a true professional.

I know we were there prior to the grand opening weekend, still, if you are open for business, you'd better be ready. 4 nights of luxury should be just that. Not me having to wait for ice 10 min) no ice machines because the butlers bring your ice, not finding blond hair everywhere in our suite (I'm bald and my wife's hair is dark brown.

Again, Ali, John, Antonio, and Sean made this stay enjoyable. My wife and I will return to St. Regis Bal Harbour, but they've got to do better.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank JomoKen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

From the fabulous interior to the beach, this hotel is close to perfection. Love everything about it. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

A great hotel in every detail: confort, service, decor, food and ambience. It bothered us one achitecture flaw: there is no possible privacy at the balcony. You can be seen from every spot of it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Alef1
east hampton, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

The new St Regis in Bal Harbour takes some getting used to, but the time spent is well worth it!

First impressions may be that it's somewhat formal and maybe stuffy. Wrong on both counts.
While the hotel is elegant, and fully tricked out in noveau-art deco splendor, it turns out to be
comfortable, faultlessly friendly, and a fun place to hang out.

Check in:
There is no "lobby" per se, but a fantasy mirrored alley that leads to reception, bar, restaurants and elevators on the main level. Check in is accomplished in comfortable chairs pulled up to a desk, and is lubricated by the champagne cocktail delivered in proper flutes. Very civilized. Very easy.

Rooms:
After check in, a bellman shows you how to access the elevator with your electronic key card (easy) and escorts you to an absolutely beautiful room. Walk into the entry vestibule, make a turn and there at the end of a long marble hallway (where the handsome bathrooms and closets are) is the bedroom and the drop-dead view of the Atlantic past the massive, well funshished balcony. The bedroom itself is well equipped with an easy chair, corner sofa, bureau, desk and bar, and is beautifully done in neutral tones. The lights, drapes and sheers, and service/privacy notices are electronically controlled from a wall panel or a bedside console. (Why some reviewers found this set-up difficult to master in the 21st century I'm not sure. We found it fun!) Possibly the best hotel bed and pillows ever. Gourmet chocolates on the pillow at night. And a pre-check out sweet treat the last evening. BTW a prior reviewer mentioned paper-thin walls. Don't know where that might have been. Couple next to us had a toddler and an infant and we never heard a sound.

Pool/beach:
The pools are large, warm and not crowded. There were lots of children around when we were there, but they seemed to gravitate to the lower pool area, and were well behaved anyway.....not an annoyance. The only issue, typical of hotels in the area, is that shade takes over in mid-afternoon unless you're willing to move to the far south reaches of the upper pool deck. Retreat instead to the beach, where by positioning yourself properly (at the suggestion of the very helpful Jorge) you're in the sun until at least 6 pm. There's full food and bev service at both pools and on the beach, and little treats like frozen grapes, "mojito water" and juices served gratis just when you need them. Lounges are padded and comfy, and there are beach chairs for those who prefer. The only gripe.....eliminate the charge for beach umbrellas. It makes no sense and is a cheesy misstep for a hotel of this calibre.

Food/drink:
Didn't have dinner in either of the restaurants. There's a free coffee/tea setup in the bar every morning (why do people care so much about having in-room coffee makers?) Atlantico serves a very good breakfast (except for the western omelet which is less an omelet than something you might find at McD's). Lots of variety, and an expansive buffet if you have the appetite. Lunch at J&G Grill is excellent. Try the house-made ginger ale for a treat!

We've previously stayed up Collins Ave at Acqualina, which we also love, but St Regis blows that one away when it comes to the bar, because a) it's open until at least 1 am, and b) there's live music. Don't get it when a resort in a place like Miami pulls in the carpet at 10 or 11! There's also a nice bar in J&G, as well as the daytime haunt by the lower pool.

Our one issue with the food is the menu at Fresco, the outdoor restaurant by the pool. While there are some great and interesting items.....tacos, ceviches, ahi wraps.....if you're there for a week or so you really start to crave a tuna salad or turkey sandwich, perhaps a milkshake. Even though Starwood is trying to re-invent Miami Beach, a nod to the old favorites would be apppreciated!

Spa:
The Spa is gorgeous. A bit confusing in layout, but gorgeous. They are very accommodating in selecting a massage therapist that fits the individual's requirements. When I was not totally pleased with the massage on my first day, I clarified my wants and the next one was perfect. Good showers and locker facilities. And they don't try to push product purchases on you!

Service:
Can't imagine the boot camp the entire St Regis staff must have gone through. Each and every one has the best attitude, a big smile, always a hello, and an "it's my pleasure". From the car valets to the bellmen, maids, servers, pool and beach attendants, restaurant hosts, bartenders, concierges, and spa personnel there was not one negative moment in 6 days. A few shoutouts to some over-and-above staffers: Bali at the concierge desk is totally on top of her game. Made some great suggestions, not just for high profile restos but, knowing no one can enjoy "gourmet" dining every night, came up with Emilio's, a neighborhood gem that came close to being the best of the trip. It was fun ending the night chatting with Sean at the lobby bar. Excellent martinis. No vermouth. The blonde hostess at breakfast at Atlantico went out of her way to accommodate 7 of us includinig a 2 year old at the perfect table out of the way of other guests, and, on another morning, made sure we were fed and coffee'd even though the restaurant had already closed its breakfast service. Jorge at the beach and Jonathan and Jess at the pool went out of their way to be sure we had all the service we could endure.

At the end of our first day, my wife and I questioned whether we'd come back to this hotel. By next day we were sure we would. Enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Probably not a bad one in the bunch.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trigger18
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Just got back from a weekend at the St. Regis Bal Harbour and it was simply one of the best trips i've taken. The hotel is beyond beautiful and the staff is phenomenal. No request is left unattended to. I spent much of my time at the pool which is a haven of relaxation. It takes a very unique hotel to impress me these days but the st regis came through with spades. This hotel is without a doubt the newest and most luxurious property in all of miami. I can't wait to go back for another weekend stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ksellers_11
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife and I are definite hotel snobs, and St. Regis Bal Harbour is as good as it gets. We were looking for a 3 day get away and this hotel provided plenty to do, beautiful rooms and excellent service. Sure there may have been a little glitch or two since it has only been open a few months, but I would come back any time. The property is walking distance to great shopping and wonderful restaurants. The concierge staff, Brian and Bali, were most helpful with recommendations. Rebecca and Sean in the bar were also great. We look forward to our next visit to the St. Regis.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank George J
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Just stayed for 5 nights with my wife and daughter. Simply one of my best vacations ever. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is terrific. You can't walk five steps without someone asking if they can help or point you in the right direction. We had a studio suite with a perfect view. We basically lived at the pool which was very nice and heated. My daughter (age 9) went to the kid's club and she loved it. Also, went to the yoga class and beach fitness session - both instructors were very engaged. We had a terrific experience with one of the butlers who approached us at the pool and gave us advice on restaurants. On our last day, he brought up cookies and brownies for my daughter (no charge). Not sure what all the nick-picking is about the lights - they are not that hard to use. Their Bentley took us to a local mall when we called. As a SPG Platinum who travels quite a bit - this will be rated as a 5 star hotel. .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
#21 of 206 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 710 reviews
Oceanfront
Metropolitan by COMO, Miami Beach

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!