“J & G grill, restaurant at St. Regis”

The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
BUENOS AIRES
“J & G grill, restaurant at St. Regis”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

WITH MY WIFE, WE ARE FANS OF CHEF Jean Georges Vongerichten. We started many years ago with Vong (we still complain about its close, for us, the BEST of all JG's restaurants). We have dine among others, in Vong, Spice Market, Mercer Kitchen, Jo Jo, Jean Georges Shanghai and in all of them we have french food with an asian touch or asian food with a french touch. Unfortunately, not this time. Very good but that touch was absent. Excellent disposition (it recalled us of that of Shanghai). The question is, did JGV put his name but not his knowledge in this new restaurant? Please, Jean George, reopen Vong

Room Tip: we only dine
1 Thank AKADE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2012

The Bal Harbor St Regis is a great luxury hotel. Beautiful hotel. Great Service. The crowd is a little older and the hotel is much quieter than a South Beach hotel. Across the street from the Bal Harbor mall which is nice.
The room is beautiful and great technology. All rooms have a decent but not great view of the beach. Unfortunately, the shower pressure was poor and water leaked out of the shower.
Staff was great. But i asked for the New York Times to be delivered to my room every day and they never got it right. Other than that they were helpful and courteous.
Concierge was knowledgeable and helpful.
Breakfast is nice but overpriced. Could use a bigger variety on the buffet.
Gym is disappointing. I hated the lobby. It was cold and unwelcoming.
Valet staff was great.
Basically we had a very nice time but for a luxury hotel there was just a little touch missing.

1 Thank JAR55
New York
Reviewed March 7, 2012

First a note about my review....we were told on check-in that the hotel hasn't formally opened yet and was still in a period of testing and staff familarity - so while this review might come across as nit-picky, it's intended for both fellow travellers who are thinking of staying here, and Starwoods/St. Regis management who are hopefully reading these reviews to get feedback on their 'testing period'.

On paper, the St Regis is the perfect choice for anyone looking to stay in a new, luxury hotel, sufficiently removed from the 'south beach scene'. It's expensive, but like other luxury hotels it's the service you're paying for and at the St Regis you're getting your money's worth. All of the staff are extremely attentive, polite and eager to help, without being overbearing.

The rooms are bright, modern and well appointed. I would agree with other reviewers have commented on the touchpad light switches which sound easy in concept, but you really do have to randomly press several buttons to turn on/off lights that you want. They could improve the whole experience if the panel had a light/indicator to show you what light configuration is currently in use, or they replaced the panel with a manual light-switch! Similar story with the privacy button - there is no visual indication to tell you whether it's on or off, other than opening the door and looking outside. I'm absolutely a gadget person and love this techy stuff, but it just seems like they threw technology at something to make it feel cutting edge without product testing it with a real hotel guest. The buttonless, card-entry elevators are also an innovative security feature, until the computer system breaks and everyone has to wait 20 minutes for the service elevator (happened to us on Saturday afternoon).

The food is very good, but still has the 'St Regis' (or egregious) markup on it. $10 for a bowl of cereal - really?!? The bar itself, was small (considering the size of the hotel), very quiet and did not entice you to stay for another. While it is nice to be away from the south beach scene, the resulting problem is the hotel being cutoff from people coming into the hotel for a few cocktails. My wife and I (in our mid-30s) were by far the youngest people in the JG Grill by at least 10 years. Not to take anything away from the food, which was excellent as usual, the atmosphere felt muted and stuffy, which was surprising for such a new modern hotel.

But more than anything, the hotel just feels like it's missing something. It's almost sterile and lacks the vibrant buzz that other Miami Beach hotels have. From the moment you walk in, it's a long mirrored corridor that feels almost like a labyrinth than a welcoming hotel lobby - there is no traditional hotel lobby space, just smaller concealed areas (for concierge, front desk etc) tucked neatly away.

For any major hotel, the focal point is invariably an open, busy lobby area with people coming and going, relaxing in oversized lounge chairs, enjoying a cocktail in adjacent hotel bar etc - it's what makes the heart and soul of a hotel. The St. Regis simply doesn't have that and hence the whole place feels more like an expensive apartment building than a 5-star hotel.

2 Thank britnyc
new york
Reviewed March 6, 2012

we had the honor to stay in this luxuries hotel that provided us with everlasting memeries we where treated with royalty every step of the way by the unbeliveble warm staff .we stayed in other st regis facilities and this one beats all by far service,staff,pool,spa,butler service,its just the cream of the crop facility
the ordinary room is like a delux suite elsewhere
we never had such service going down to the beach so pleasant and easy

THANKS MR. DANT HIRSCH, SAID HAYKAL, STEVE, MARK, CARLOS,
FOR MAKING OUR STAY SO PLEASANT AND LUXURIES
KEEP UP YOUR GREAT WORK
LOOKING FORWARD TO BE THERE SHORTLY

DAVID GOLDSTEIN

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Westport, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Let me start by saying that the St. Regis Bal Harbour is an amazing dog friendly hotel. My husband and I stayed at this property 2 weeks ago and had a fabulous time. We were contacted the week before by our butler, who asked who would be traveling in our party. I let her know that we would be bringing our small dog. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a glass of champagne and welcome to our dog by name. To our surprise we were upgraded to a Grand Deluxe Suite, which was huge. We were escorted to our room and within minutes our butler showed up with dog bowls, treats, bottled water and toys for the dog. I placed an order for lunch to be served out on our balcony with him and gave him several garments to be pressed. Both were done promptly. When they arrived with our lunch which include a burger for our dog, the attendant cut up the burger for the dog while I was on a phone call without me even asking. This is great service.

Later when I asked the concierge best place to walk the dog, she left her desk and went for a walk with me to show where I should go.

To our amazement the dog was allowed to sit with us on the beach. The beach attendants were great offering to bring water for the dog and even walking her if I needed. I am not sure who was pampered more, the dog or myself.

The restaurants were great. We ate at J&G Grill for dinner as well as Atlantico for breakfast.
The service and food was delicious at both. Atlantico even allowed us to sit outside with our dog.

The spa and gym wore also great. The attendants in the spa were very helpful. The gym equipment was state of the art. My only complaint is the gym was missing exercise bands for stretching, but the trainer on staff was so nice and lent me one of his personal ones to use.

The beach and pools were beautiful. I think that it helped that it was 80 and sunny everyday we were there.

Our suite was great. It had 2 full bathrooms, a dining room, kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, walk- in wardrobe as well as 2 huge balconies overlooking the ocean.

I only stay at 5 star properties throughout the US and Europe and I have to say that this is up there with the best of them. I can not wait to return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Plus-beautiful room...excellent restaurants and location
Terrible service ..spa..booked appt they gave me a confirmation with wrong time..got there also had wrong time. Steam room too cold then after asking for help made it too hot. Not cleaned up then my locker could not b opened could not get hot water in shower
Went to pool ..workers there too busy socializing to see if we needed anything got totally ignored
Friend sent chocolate strawberries and hotel. Fancy chocolates.. Then the turn down chocolates. Next morning maids ..who had otherwise done a great job of cleaning room...threw all my chocolates out..even ones in unopened boxes
Asked for bath supplies..had to call
6:05. Am. Some buzzer went off. Not sure where that came from
Got confirmation letter for dinner reservation...after we left for that dinner
Never heard from or saw our butler
Heard our neighbors kids
Ok little things. But when you r paying for super service this was not
However service at restaurants was excellent also recommend marlins for manicure and pedicure. Next time we go to the ritz or four seasons

Room Tip: Ask for one with no neighbors
4 Thank Elyse T
StRegisManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Elyse T,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the guestroom, location and your dining experience (and service!) in the restaurants. I reviewed all your comments regarding your stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the issues you experienced and want you to know that we went through each point and addressed them with our staff. While we were new, we still strive to provide exceptional, bespoke service. I do hope you will return when your travel plans bring you to Miami. We would love to welcome you back.
Dant Hirsch
Hotel Manager
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2012

When picking hotels I was well aware that as a city built on tourism, Miami has shortage of amazing beachfront properties which tick all the ‘great holiday’ boxes. However, since I was travelling with my mum, I was looking for something that little bit more special.

The Hotel

The St Regis Bal Harbour opened on the 19 January of this year. Located in one of Miami’s wealthiest neighbourhoods it is a 15 minute drive from the pulsing mayhem of South Beach. If you’ve ever stayed in a St Regis you’ll know that apart from the amazing rooms and service there are the little extras that make any trip unforgettable.

As I'm typing this Tyler my personal St Regis Butler is wrapping my dresses in tissue paper, folding my purchases and packing everything neatly into my suitcase. And in the morning the complementary St Regis chauffeur driven Bentley is unavoidably going to ferry me on a last minute dash to the shops. Oh, and before bed there are the delicious handmade gourmet chocolates that send me off into a sweet satisfied slumber. Holidays don't get any better and it is these little gestures which made me choose the St Regis.

The moment I walked through the doors, I thought 'wow' and I am not easily wowed. The hotel was designed by Seiger Suarez Architectural Partnership with interiors by renowned studio Yabu Pushelberg. There is a delicate balance of beautiful luxury but that doesn’t descend into tasteless over-the-top opulence. Marble, mirrors and handcut crystal chandeliers. Lilac coloured blooms which bring the spaces to life and friendly, sunny staff. Many of the other hotels in Miami were built in the 90s or early noughties and don't necessarily have the same 'wow factor' you expect when shelling out for a five-star.

The Rooms

We stayed in a deluxe oceanfront room on the 21st floor which opened up onto the most gorgeous azure view of the Atlantic Ocean.

All rooms at the St Regis are 'smart'. There are no switches to flick on or off. Everything can be done from the comfort of your bed or from super simple touch panels on the walls. Want to draw the curtains? Swipe your finger. Switch on the lights? Swipe your finger. Play moody jazz or classical chill-out? ... yup, you guessed it; swipe your finger. It's a bit like having a magic wand.

Everything in the rooms is designed for ultimate comfort. The beds are like everything else in America, supersized. There is a nightly turn-down service (remember those chocolates?) and bottles of Fiji water for every guest. Slippers, bathrobes and a million goodies in the bathrooms to perk you up after a long soak in the massive marble bath. An ipod connecter and stereo system mean you can bring the party back to yours after a night on South Beach. And if you can't face the beach in the morning you can collapse on the sofa-lounger on the balcony and still catch the rays.

The Facilities
As a five star the St Regis has everything you could want. There are two swimming pools, jacuzzi, beach, spa, state of the art gym and two restaurants. The food throughout the Hotel is delicious and I've posted a review of breakfast here, if you are interested.

I've now moved from my room to the bar. It’s a balmy evening and there is a quartet of musicians playing live Latin jazz and couples dancing the salsa cheek-to-cheek. It could aptly serve as the setting for a modern day Casablanca, except that there's no Bogey making sultry chocolate eyes at me from across the room, which is about the only thing the St Regis can't provide.

As I sit here, gently swaying to a jazzy improvisation of Louis Armstrong's 'It's a Wonderful World' (no really!) I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness to be leaving this beautiful little haven of tranquility and all the happy memories its given me. However, can't shake the feeling that it's Hasta La Vista, Baby.... I'll be back.

Read full review on www.the-luxury-marionette.com

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,302 reviews
COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach
#3 of 207 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,339 reviews

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!