“Worst Customer Service in Hotel Industry”

Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Atlanta, Georgia
“Worst Customer Service in Hotel Industry”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I am a road warrior, traveling for business almost every week of the year. This hotel is absolutely the worst at customer service, the rudest people in business. I have had a billing discrepancy with this hotel which was due to THEIR mistake and they are not willing to adjust it, at no cost. Their Revenue Manager, Stacey Sanchez, is the most unprofessional person who has no idea about client retention and revenue management as a concept. They are willing to lose a business traveler for good for $100. That's definitely Revenue Management at its best. Well, I guess I will take mine and my company's revenues elsewhere. Not to Sheraton Wilmington, or Sheraton in general. Do NOT go to this hotel. They will nickel and dime you (and the building looks pretty nasty anyway).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
JeremyGM, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear "l0velyO",
I wanted to respond to your feedback about our Hotel. I am not sure what the specifics are to your comments, however I can assure you we handle all situations individually to try to come to a logical conclusion. We certainly value your and your company's business and would welcome the opportunity to handle your lodging needs in the future. Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of service. We care and I hope to hear from you!

Jeremy C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 15, 2011

First let me say the Hotel is not a 4 Star as said on Hotwire... When i arrived I was greeted by a very friendly Shawna st the front desk, the only one smiling at the time. She was very helpful and happy to serve. Second the carpet in the elevators are not dirty but should not been used in the decor, because it does look like someone made a mess in them!!!!! Third parking truly is a JOKE, all the complaint where right!!!!!! Spaces are so small even a SMART CAR can almost not fit.
If there is anything good to share is that the room i had did have a great view!! I would return, but it truly is not a 4 Star place. but a ok place to stay if you are going to the casino.
But if you have to stay somewhere stop by and see Shawna she made the place worth staying at, Her smile and service was friendly and on point!! Thankyou....
And to the Manager the wall infront of the elevator on the 16th floor should be repainted or something because you Jeremy dont go on the floors or inspect the rooms, because soon as you step into 1621 you notice the couch cushions are dirty and stained as well as the lounge chair next to the TV.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear "shuemanCTA",
Thank you so much for your comments as I appreciate feedback both good and for improvement. It is good to see that you enjoyed the service and friendliness of our front desk associate. I am glad you were able to enjoy a "great view" from your suite as well. I know that you felt the parking spots are small in our garage. We have a small number of spots that are reserved for compact cars only, however we can accommodate cars and SUVs up to 6' in height. We have also addressed the maintenance and housekeeping issues you mentioned. I hope you give us the opportunity to take care of your Hotel needs if your travels bring you back to the Wilmington area!

New York, Ny
Reviewed February 7, 2011

My wife and I just spent a weekend at the Sheraton Suites. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly and helpful. We booked through Priceline and get an extremely reasonable rate for a hotel of this caliber, with a swimming pool, sauna and exercise room. So what if the garage has small spaces? The dirt spots on the elevator carpet (one guest complaint) were actually black spots and part of the design element of the carpet. The suites were large and cheery. Yes, the hotel borders a poor neighborhood, but so does the majestic Dupont Hotel three blocks away. In contrast to other guests, I would stay here again and certainly recommend the hotel to any Wilmington visitors.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Davunger
Dear "Davunger",
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience for future travelers to see. We do try to offer a clean Hotel, friendly service, and spacius suites for a great value. We are happy to be given the opportunity to accommdate your housing needs while in the Wilmington area. We appreciate your offer to recommend us to other visitors and hope to see you again!

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The worst New Year's Eve of my life!
The Front desk is really bad customer service! They refused to help me address the problem of staying no matter what!
Parking is very super tiny, don't think it's free $12 for each day (specific time)
You wouldn't believe that on 1st of January 2011, New year, there were 2 time of False Alarm in the morning about 9:40, we had to wake up and ran from the 5th floor to the lobby, and nobody came to say anything. I had to walk to the Front and ask what's going on? False Alarm! Fine, I went up to the room and again about 11:30, the alarm was on again!!! What the worst New Year to Stay in Sheraton Wilmington!!!!
Please don't go there, I warned you. Maybe it's cheaper than another hotel but it's not worth it!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
JeremyGM, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Hello "Traveler 2521",
Thank you for your comments as I appreciate both positve feedback and feedback for improvement. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologize if our front desk did not assist "the problem of staying no matter what". There are times that we are fully committed with other guests and unable to switch dates on existing reservations. We are an urban Hotel with an underground parking garage. There is an additional charge for parking due to the convenience of having a secure covered spot. We can assist with other parking options if you prefer or we have packages that include parking. For our guests and associates safety, we do have a fire alarm system. Unfortunately there are things that cause the alarm system to ring that are out of our control as was the case during your stay. I am truly sorry if this alarm inconvenienced you.
Again, I am sorry if we did not live up to your expectations or ours, but with feedback like yours we can only hope to improve. Thanks so much and feel free to call direct if I can be of service.
Warm regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Overall, not a very nice hotel in a not very nice area. But it is convenient to downtown Wilmington businesses and one of the only options in the area. MUCH better than the neighboring Courtyard property, which charges similar rates for tiny, terrible rooms. Parking at the Sheraton is TERRIBLE...be warned. The spaces are tiny and extremely difficult to fit into. Hotel also tends to fill up during the week (especially if there is a conference or something going on) so book early.

Pros:
-Convenient location for business
-Friendly staff (I stay there frequently so they go out of their way to greet me and be helpful)
-Large rooms
-Best of limited options in the area

Cons:
-Semi-sketchy neighborhood
-Bad food for room service
-Horrible parking garage

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank bean1111
JeremyGM, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Dear "meganb1109",
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your business trip. We are conveniently located in downtown Wilmington with easy access to most corporate buildings. I understand we have limited space for our underground parking garage, but find it convenient for guests who do not want to deal with the weather conditions when getting in and out of their vehicles. There are some other options for parking in the area that we can assist with in the future. Our Hotel does tend to stay very busy during the business week, so we do recommend making advance reservations if possible. Thank you for the positive feedback about our "friendly staff" and I will certainly review your room service feedback as well with my team. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs in the future if your travels bring you to Wilmington!

Warm regards,

Jeremy
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We booked this hotel on hotwire and saved a lot. But there were a few catches. We had a king bed, but for some reason there were no king sheets. They put on flat queen size sheets so at the foot of the bed you felt matress and by morning every side had pulled loose. Also, as indicated you had to pay for internet. And though it indicated 'self-park' it didn't say you had to pay-it was $12 for Fri and Sat and $16 for all other days. But the suite was very nice, lots of very hot water, clean, spacious.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights this past weekend. We had some friends in Wilmington we wanted to visit and since they just had their 2nd baby we declined their offer to stay with them and went on Priceline and got this hotel. We won with a very low bid and were very happy to get a hotel a few miles from them.

We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and the hotel was not very crowded. We got the impression that most people stay here for business during the week. We were very happy with the size of the suite. The front room had a microwave, a fridge, and an LG flat screen TV. The bedroom also had a flat screen TV and also a vanity area with a large mirror that my wife thought was very nice. The bathroom was pretty basic.

The one issue we had was a sneaky suspicion that they did not give us new towels the 2nd day even though we left the towels on the floor as instructed to receive clean towels. My wife found a makeup stain on one of the towels the 2nd day that she remembered leaving the first night when she was doing her makeup. Even if it wasn't the same towel, some of the makeup on the new towel came off when she rubbed it so it wasn't a permanent stain from a different towel. It was either her previous towel (pretty sure) or someone else's towel that wasn't cleaned very well. Either way, ewww.

Aside from that issue, everything else went pretty smooth. But it left us with a weird feeling and we would probably stay elsewhere our next time in Wilmington.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple