“Has seen better days”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Milan, Italy
“Has seen better days”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

There's nothing really wrong with this hotel. Staff were nice and helpful and the service relatively good (complimentary parking as well). Still, it feels like this place has seen its better days. The rooms are really large (separate living room and bedroom). I did not like the lack of free wifi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. In regards to the guest rooms being “dated”, the color scheme is Sheraton/Starwood approved and recommended. The wallpaper, rugs and sofas where installed in November and December of 2012. The hotel also replaced the chair, ottoman and lighting package in the hotel in March 2013. The hotel has additional renovations that will be completed in 2014 as well. Thank you again.
Warm Regards
Eric Jolikko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Mass.
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I found the hotel to be very good. The room was modern and very spacious. The bed was very comfortable. I did not eat in the hotel (see my review of Harry's). The gym is very small. Really not useable by more than 2 people.

Parking under the hotel was very convenient.

Good choice while in Wilmington.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments regarding your stay at the hotel. The staff and I truly appreciate them. We hope the next time you are in the area you choose the Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown again!
Stay warm and have a great weekend!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Pros- Comfortable, clean bed
Great shower
SUPER friendly, helpful staff. Best staff I've encountered at a hotel.
HUGE room with lots of space, and a great layout.
Very quiet, and I slept great.

Cons:
It shouldn't be that hard to get a taxi. If you're catering to a business clientele, you should have taxis lined up in the morning, particularly in freezing weather. The lobby was crowded with people this morning waiting for taxis. I was late to work this morning after a group jumped in our taxi that the very helpful lady at the front desk called for us, and she had to call another for us.

Food: I ate twice for dinner in the hotel restaurant, and the food was mediocre. The crab cakes are minced and bland with no lump crab meat but the sides were very good. The next morning, I ordered room service for (continental) breakfast, and the bagels and pastries were ice cold, and no juice. I guess I should have requested the bagels toasted. Dinner the next night in the hotel, I ordered a burger cooked medium, and it was well done. Both nights for dinner, no one refilled my water (empty). The cheesecake for dessert was also just not good.

Only complaint about the room was that there was a gross dark brown stain on the carpet right outside the bathroom... I thought it was blood at first. Hope someone cleans the carpet.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank urthurdit
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the hotel. After reading your review, I was hoping that you relayed these comments to the staff before you left so we could rectify with the individuals that would have been cooking, serving and cleaning your guest room. Regardless, I have discussed this with the entire management team so we can fix these types of issues moving forward. I do appreciate your feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 302.576.8000 if you need to discuss any of your concerns.
Thank you again and Happy New Year.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a fine hotel with all of the amenities you'd expect. It's not exceptional but the rooms are good, the beds comfortable and the facilities are fine. While some parts of the hotel look a little tired that's not a big issue and in no way detracts from the comfort of the hotel.

There are three aspects of this hotel which I found particularly good for a business trip,

1) The room I had was a good size and the desk was comfortable to work at for long periods, which can't be said for all hotels.
2) The wifi service was excellent and connection was easy
3) Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the staff were brilliant. Everyone I met during a week long stay in December were friendly and helpful which makes a big difference, in my opinion.

Should I be on a business trip to Wilmington in the future this hotel would be my first choice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. The hotel will be renovating areas throughout the hotel in both 2014 and 2015 to give it a "fresh" look. In addition, I would agree about the staff, they do a great job servicing the guest and take great pride in it. Thank you for recognizing them.
Happy New Year
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in December and found the Sheraton suites to be comfortable but dated. The hotel is centrally located but there really is not much in the vicinity for a tourist - the hotel seems geared up to business and conference stays.

The hotel was clean but required a facelift. The common areas were ok but require maintenance: the lift broke with us in it and my husband had to prize open the door, the gym and pool looked unloved, the corridors were fairly dark and I repeatedly got static shocks from the light switches in the room.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the shower powerful, this compensates for the poor decor and fittings

The breakfast was fine and we didn't eat at the restaurant, however, I was surprised to find the hotel bar closed during the day and on a Saturday too!

Overall, the hotel is ok but very dated and you sense the staff are making the best of a bad situation. For a Sheraton I expect more but it probably suffers from it's location as Wilmington is not exactly a destination location and I can't imagine anyone visiting if it weren't for work or family.

The pros:
- Every member of staff was very helpful.
- centrally located, though there are few shops or restaurants in walking distance
- underground car park, which we were advised was necessary due to car crime.
- room was clean.

The cons:
- the hotel is incredibly dated and requires a massive overhaul both in the rooms and common areas.
- the bar is not open during the day.
- although centrally located we were advised that there few walkable restaurants and were encouraged to eat in or get take out.
- they use a taxi service called family taxis, which we found to be fairly unreliable (turning up late and not knowing where places were)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I can tell you that in November/December of 2012, all the guest rooms and guest hallways received new couches, carpet, wallpaper, drapes and lights. In 2013, the guest rooms also received new chairs and ottomans. In 2014, the hotel will be start replacing all of the case goods and the bathrooms will be renovated. I will pass your comments regarding the taxi service along to the cab company's owner and the City, as it is important to have reliable transportation. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us so that we may improve upon our services.
Happy New Year
Richmond
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

We came to town to visit Longwood Gardens and Winterthur. Of course, the Hotel du Pont would be the logical choice but we did not want to spend that much a night and with our son we needed more space. The Sheraton is only a block or two away so it makes sense. The reception staff greeted us and was friendly. The suites are large and have a wet bar in the living room. The bed was very comfortable. There is a sleeper sofa. We were disappointed that the wet bar only includes little plastic cups. Extra pillows for the sleeper sofa were absent. Minors items easily fixed. Overall this is a nice hotel that will serve you we'll in Wilmington.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. All of the hotel's guest rooms are two room suites with the majority of them having a king size bed but there are also suites that have two double beds in them. However all the suites have a pullout couch in the living room. This enables additional sleeping space, privacy and/or the ability to work or relax in the living room of the suite while being able to close the doors to the bedroom area. This feature makes this hotel much different than most of the hotels in the Wilmington area that have just the "basic room type". The staff and I hope that the next time you are in the area, you chose to stay with "us" again
Happy Holidays
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Through my 83 nights at this specific Sheraton, I can say with certainty that they a phenomenal staff who will go out of their way to assist you. Given it's convenience to various office locations, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for your great feedback regarding this past years stay at the hotel. It was great to see you and talk to you over the past year especially the past several months. The staff and I wish a SAFE and Happy Holiday season. AND if your work brings you back to the Wilmington De area - we expect you to stay here :) .
Happy Holidays