“Reasonable hotel - no frills”

Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in December and found the Sheraton suites to be comfortable but dated. The hotel is centrally located but there really is not much in the vicinity for a tourist - the hotel seems geared up to business and conference stays.

The hotel was clean but required a facelift. The common areas were ok but require maintenance: the lift broke with us in it and my husband had to prize open the door, the gym and pool looked unloved, the corridors were fairly dark and I repeatedly got static shocks from the light switches in the room.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the shower powerful, this compensates for the poor decor and fittings

The breakfast was fine and we didn't eat at the restaurant, however, I was surprised to find the hotel bar closed during the day and on a Saturday too!

Overall, the hotel is ok but very dated and you sense the staff are making the best of a bad situation. For a Sheraton I expect more but it probably suffers from it's location as Wilmington is not exactly a destination location and I can't imagine anyone visiting if it weren't for work or family.

The pros:
- Every member of staff was very helpful.
- centrally located, though there are few shops or restaurants in walking distance
- underground car park, which we were advised was necessary due to car crime.
- room was clean.

The cons:
- the hotel is incredibly dated and requires a massive overhaul both in the rooms and common areas.
- the bar is not open during the day.
- although centrally located we were advised that there few walkable restaurants and were encouraged to eat in or get take out.
- they use a taxi service called family taxis, which we found to be fairly unreliable (turning up late and not knowing where places were)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I can tell you that in November/December of 2012, all the guest rooms and guest hallways received new couches, carpet, wallpaper, drapes and lights. In 2013, the guest rooms also received new chairs and ottomans. In 2014, the hotel will be start replacing all of the case goods and the bathrooms will be renovated. I will pass your comments regarding the taxi service along to the cab company's owner and the City, as it is important to have reliable transportation. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us so that we may improve upon our services.
Happy New Year

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We came to town to visit Longwood Gardens and Winterthur. Of course, the Hotel du Pont would be the logical choice but we did not want to spend that much a night and with our son we needed more space. The Sheraton is only a block or two away so it makes sense. The reception staff greeted us and was friendly. The suites are large and have a wet bar in the living room. The bed was very comfortable. There is a sleeper sofa. We were disappointed that the wet bar only includes little plastic cups. Extra pillows for the sleeper sofa were absent. Minors items easily fixed. Overall this is a nice hotel that will serve you we'll in Wilmington.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel. All of the hotel's guest rooms are two room suites with the majority of them having a king size bed but there are also suites that have two double beds in them. However all the suites have a pullout couch in the living room. This enables additional sleeping space, privacy and/or the ability to work or relax in the living room of the suite while being able to close the doors to the bedroom area. This feature makes this hotel much different than most of the hotels in the Wilmington area that have just the "basic room type". The staff and I hope that the next time you are in the area, you chose to stay with "us" again
Happy Holidays

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Through my 83 nights at this specific Sheraton, I can say with certainty that they a phenomenal staff who will go out of their way to assist you. Given it's convenience to various office locations, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank you for your great feedback regarding this past years stay at the hotel. It was great to see you and talk to you over the past year especially the past several months. The staff and I wish a SAFE and Happy Holiday season. AND if your work brings you back to the Wilmington De area - we expect you to stay here :) .
Happy Holidays

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Hard to find- downtown Wilmington is a jumbled maze of poorly marked streets, many of the one way, and the hotel entrance is hard to see. That being said the sleeping room was clean and quiet, with the nice addition of a sitting room with a desk, couch and TV. Small fridge and coffee maker to boot. Parking under the building reasonably priced. Front desk staff excellent.

Room Tip: High up all is quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel - we truly appreciate the comments. The hotel is continuously upgrading as in Q4 (2012) / Q1 (2013) the hotel completed replacing the guest room and guest hallway carpet, wall paper and light package. In the guest rooms the window curtains/shades, couch, chair and ottoman. In addition in Q4 2013 all of the tubs were resurfaced. The hotel has numerous improvements set for 2014 as well. Thank you again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The staff at this hotel are simply extraordinary. I've been down here for the past few days because of the snow storm and weird schedule at work. The staff has gone above and beyond to make this stay pleasurable. If every hotel had people of this caliber working, I can only imagine how effectively the world would be. If you're looking for quality rooms, superior customer service, with access to Downtown Wilmington, you would be foolish not to stay at the Sheraton Suites.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you so very much for the very nice comments. The hotel is truly blessed to have such a great staff and I do appreciate that you are recognizing them as well. Sunday’s storm was a crazy one, as of 10am the weather forecast was calling for a dusting, however 6 inches later cause quite a mess on the roads and for which I am glad that we able to find a “home” for you and be safe.
Thank you for the great comments and please know that the staff and I wish you a very safe and happy holiday season.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 10, 2013

So i was in town for a wedding yesterday and as i rushed to get dressed, i realized that i did not pack my cuff links. There was also no time to run to a store and buy some. So i called housekeeping and asked if they happened to have some in the lost and found. The manager from housekeeping came to my room and had found 1 cuff link and was able to Macguyver another cuff link out of some sort of screw(she also brought bobby pins as a backup). Needless to say, she saved the day. I traveled for work for 10 years and have spent countless nights in hotels across the world. This moment is one i wont forget. Thanks!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your great comments regarding your recent stay with the hotel. I am very please to read how the staff "went the extra mile" for you in your time of need. The staff definitely strives to give the best service to every guest, every time.
I hope that you had an awesome time at function that you attended!!
Thanks again!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

this hotel was our second hotel during our east coast trip it was also the largest a suite with microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, desk table two tvs couch, we also had two beds it was like a apartment minus a stove. it was also the best priced hotel. they had a daily lunch special I think mon-fri for just 8 dollars and the food was good. but I want to talk about the employees I cannot get over the customer service this hotel gives. first I spoke to Shawna several times from hawaii
each time she was very helpful and really informative, then got to meet shawna and I think another shanika something like that also Ms Brown everyone at that front desk must be on happy pills because these gals and also the one male we encountered on check out sorry dont know your name were really one of the best if not the best crew we have ever met in any hotel or business. do you know if you request something its like you get it immediatley and they even call like right after to see if our request was met who and what hotel does that we needed something fixed and this tall african american attendant engineer was up in less than five minutes just happy to be able to fix the problem I think his name may be reggie not sure but he was the same guy who brought me an extension cord again within five minutes of calling. and each time front desk calls to see if request was met my whole family noticed that this hotel was the only one that followed up. other hotels never did that and they never came up in five minutes even the real expensive hotels. also I got to meet my housekeeper for four days angela I think is her name she was so sweet and efficient and she just loved her job, she cleaned the room really well and was always very friendly. one day I was speaking to Ms Brown front desk and a guest just came in and I guess he was feeling under the weather and Ms Brown really took care of him getting him tea and he commented on such great service. also an elderly couple came and asked for directions and she was very patient in giving them info, they were not even guest at the hotel. when I walked past the hotel dupont I asked for directions back to my hotel the doorman just pointed and gave a very lazy and not to friendly direction. but at sheraton even if you are not a guest they treat you like a vip i witnessed this when that elderly couple needed information from Ms Brown. Also I give Shawn a lot of credit for being everything from front desk, concierge, troubleshooter she is just full of energy and a great asset to this hotel. everyone at this hotel was terrific, professional, happy, friendly, really like a big happy family, must be they have a great manager who takes care of there staff. sheraton wilmington you have really one of the best customer service in any hospitality industry and you should be proud of yourselves I give you ten stars.

Room Tip: just ask Shawna or anyone front desk and tell of your needs and they will work it out with your requ...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review of the hotel. The staff and I were extremely pleased to read it. I can tell you that the staff takes great pride in giving the best service possible to each and every guest. I am glad that you were able to experience it first hand with multiple hotel employees. While I share every survey that the hotel receives, I have shared this with many of the staff members this morning and they all had smiles from ear to ear after reading your response.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the Wilmington area.
Warm Regards