“Great place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
New York City, New York
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed one night for a wedding. The suites were beautiful! The beds were extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend this place if you have to go to Wilmington....

My only complaint was that the the garage was very tight. Small spaces and a tight turn coming out....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding you stay at the Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown. The staff and I were very pleased to see that you had a great stay. We also look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Have a great summer!
Eric Jolikko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have stayed at several Sheraton properties on the east coast and can say this hotel is not quite up to par. First off the underground parking garage is very tight. Turning into and out of it was pretty tight with a ford escape, they may have had on grade parking for larger vehicles. The parking garage elevator only goes to the lobby, where you have to get off and get on another elevator to go up to your floor, just a little annoying.
We had a (2) full bed suite on the 10th floor. The room showed quite a bit of ware and tear. The sink was cracked, the bathroom ceiling had quite a bit of water damage, the bathroom door paint was chipping off. However the beds were comfortable, the seating area in the suite was spacious and the views were great of downtown Wilmington.
This hotel is pet friendly, which unfortunately meant we heard the dog in the room next to us barking quite a bit.
The hotel did loose power for a couple hours one of the night we were there. However several blocks downtown lost power too, so I wouldn't put that on the hotel.
I just had some bad taste in my mouth after a two night stay here.

Room Tip: The Wilmington Street Ale House is a short walk away and a great restaurant
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I can tell you that the hotel just finished a room renovation that included new carpet, draperies, couch, chair and ottoman as well as the wallpaper in all the guest rooms. The bathroom renovation is scheduled for 2013 and 2014.
In addition, while the hotel had no control over the loss of power Saturday May 25, I can tell you that several of the managers and I were notified and arrived shortly after to assist guests in any way possible. There were multiple blocks in the city of Wilmington that did not have power. The power was out for one hour and forty minutes due to a “ground line” failure, according to the information that I was given by the Delmarva technicians that arrived at the hotel and assisted with getting the power back on. I do apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you again and please have an enjoyable summer
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were looking for a hotel in the Newark De. area for my daughters graduation from the University of Delaware. Unfortunately we started our hotel search too late and found many hotels in that area fully booked. We expanded our search north and luckily found the Sheraton Suites. Front desk staff was wonderful, room was very large, bed was perfect. There were complimentary cookies and iced tea in the lobby, what a nice touch. There was a wedding that night and upon arrival I was told the hotel was booked. I was worried about the noise that sometimes follows after a wedding reception, there was none! The only tricky thing about this hotel is the parking, there is a garage under the hotel. The entrance to check in which also leads to the entrance of the parking garage is narrow. We unloaded the car, brought the bags into the lobby, and sent my husband down to park in the garage. He took the elevator to the lobby and then we headed to the room. There is a $12.00 parking charge, with unlimited in and out with your room key. Free Internet is available in the lobby only.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation from UofD. I can only imagine how proud that you are. Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. The staff and I were very pleased to read that you had a nice stay. If your travels bring you to DE in the future, hopefully you choose to stay with us again.
Have a great summer!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton for one night about three weeks ago. Left a very, very expensive set of prescription glasses in my room. Didn't realize I had forgotten them for 2.5 weeks. I checked with the Pat Matonis, Executive Housekeeper, and she promptly identified my glasses and offered to overnight them to me, free of charge. It is this type of attention to detail that impresses me most and I'm also thankful for the housekeeper who picked up my glasses and provided them to lost and found - - this is the way it is supposed to work and I'm highly grateful. If I'm back in Wilmington I will most definitly frequent this Sheraton again! Thank You!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay and lost and found item. . I know that they can be very expensive and time consuming to get new ones so I am glad that Pat and the housekeeping team was able to assist you and be able to send back your glasses.
Thank you again and have a great Memorial Day weekend!
Kent Island, Maryland
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I booked the Wilmington Sheraton Suites, for two nights (May 18-19, 2013). Front Desk staff, were wonderful, our room was was roomy and comfortable. However, it had a terrible order from what I understand is from their Deep Cleaning technique. I had to leave as I could not take the smell. My husband and I did use the room service on several occasions and the room service were ALL To Notch! Only complaint would be that the chicken on our Greek salads was very dry to the point of being to dry to eat. A cheese that came up for another order was under steamy french fries which unfortunately made the grilled cheese soggy. Again, ALL the Room service staff were the best! Each time my husband and I went for a walk outside of the hotel we were harassed by men and women begging for money. These beggars seemed to like making the restaurant "Basil" a hang out. The service in "Basil's" was not mush to speak of though the food was. Since I had to leave and had one more night paid for I allowed my out of town friends to have our room. Apparently House Keeping had NOT shown up to clean or even straighten the room up until after 6:30 PM. I'm sorry, but there is NO excuse for that and I am still apologizing to my friends visiting from Canada for that terrible service.

Room Tip: We had room 1418, and it was very quiet except when some unsupervised children were running a muck...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with the hotel. The staff strives to give great service to every guest, so I am glad to read that you received that type of service from the front desk during your visit. I have discussed the comments the housekeeping manager, I do apologize for any inconvenience that you or your friends had during the stay.
Thank you again and have a great Memorial Day weekend
Stevens, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I cannot say anything about the hotel (just the restaurant) that is negative. The room was nice and everything was very clean. Anytime I called down to the front desk for something, I got it within minutes.

HOWEVER.... Their restaurant "Basil" is another story....

The food was ok, but I have NEVER had worse service, in my life. If you get Sherronda, run for the hills!!!! I am not kidding. She was rude, slow, and never checks on you. Her favorite line is "Gimme a sec". We had her twice. The only reason we went back to this god awful place (the town), is because nothing else is open on a Sunday. She should not be working with people. If you get her, good luck

Room Tip: Avoid the restaurant
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent F&B experience in the Basil Restaurant. I would completely agree with you that the service encountered was unacceptable and I apologize for that poor service. I have addressed these issues with the staff. However, I must tell you the staff does strive to give great service to every guest, I am sorry that you did not get that type of service during your stay. Thank you again for the feedback.
Sincerely
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip. The WiFi worked great. Good nights sleep. You don't have that many options in Wilmington, so this is one of the more nicer hotels downtown. I would stay here again for a business trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent business trip to Wilmington. Based on your score, I do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have had during your recent stay. The staff's goal is to recieve minimum scores of 4 or better, anything below that is considered a failure and not acceptable. Please feel free to reach out to me directly, so I can determine what the hotel could have done better. Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again.