“Exceptional Service”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Wilmington, Delaware
“Exceptional Service”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

After a long flight from Dallas, I was expecting an unattentive staff awaiting me. I was pleasantly suprised to be greated by Shawna Mack working the Front Desk. She greeted me with a smile and an eagerness to assist me. I thought I was going to have trouble when my corporate credit card was somehow declined. She took great steps in reassuring me that everything would be taken care of. Shawna brought the issue to a quick resolution. Along with her colleague Dominique, got my stay off to otherwise wonderful start. As for the rooms, they were clean and smelled fresh. The beds however were not to my liking, a bit hard. Overall the hotel is great, in a great location and enough amenities to satisfy the most demanding of customers.

Room Tip: Great place to eat and socialize is Washington Street Ale.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. Both Shawna and Dominique are part of a hotel staff that enjoys giving get service. I know the ladies were excited to see their names on the Trip Advisor forum and I thank you for acknowledging the service that you received from them. We look forward to seeing you in your future trips to the Wilmington area.
Happy Holidays
Eric Jolikko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reviewed December 14, 2012

After our last stay at this property, my husband and I were very disappointed and decided to take our business elsewhere. Due to a last minute change in plans, however, we needed to be in Wilmington for the weekend and were hard pressed to find accommodation. I saw 1 night available at the Sheraton and took it. I also emailed the hotel and asked if we could be wait-listed for the second night. I did not hear back but at check-in, was told we had been given the room for an additional night as per my request. This was fantastic as there were many events that weekend and a real shortage of rooms. Out check-in was delayed because there was a large wedding group ahead of us and we had to wait in line for about 10 minutes. The front desk clerk apologized for the inconvenience and credited us with free parking. In addition, my Starwood Gold status was acknowledged right away and we received our 250 points as our amenity.

In terms of the room, we found everything clean if a bit worn. The suite was spacious with an empty mini-fridge, great for storing restaurant leftovers, and a Sheraton sleeper bed. We did not use the hotel exercise facilities or restaurant this stay. Although the hotel was very busy with several weddings, we did not experience any excessive noise from the corridors. Overall, a big improvement over our prior experience. We stayed in a regular suite, not club floor, 2 adults and booked through Starwood website.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Medidate
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent weekend stay with the hotel. The hotel staff takes great pride in giving great service and I glad to hear that you received this type of service during your stay. I am uncertain when you stayed with the hotel prior to this stay, however I can tell you that the management of the hotel has really put a lot of time, effort and training with all the associates about how important the guest is and the proper service of EVERY guest. It sounds pretty basic but it can be taken for granted if not address on daily basis.. Great customer service is not able to exist if the staff doesn’t but in to it and I must say that I am very lucky to have a staff that truly cares! Thank you again and Happy Holidays!
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I took a mini-vacation as part of a big celebration weekend.....and checked into the Sheraton Suites just a mile from my home! (I had already checked my friends from Vermont & Maine in the Sheraton Suites and decided to join them.) The mini-vacation (2 nights) was the perfect way to enjoy the weekend free of all responsibilities! And the suite was a perfect way to entertain guests after the party....large living room with full kitchen accessories (refrigerator, microwave, and bar.) And the bed linens were truly luxurious! Treat yourself to a mini-vacation soon!

Room Tip: ask for a room that doesn't look out on the roof & AC units
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding you “mini-vacation”. The staff and I are happy that you enjoyed yourself. The next time you are in need of some “R&R”, please ensure that you give us a call and stay with the hotel again.
Thank you again and Happy Holidays!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Worn out two star hotel at best, but this might be the norm for downtown Wilmington. Room smelled of bug spray and/or carpet cleaning fluid upon check in. Carpet in room was worn through in several places. Tap water in bathroom smelled of mildew. Received a scam call at 1:00am from some Wilmington low-life claiming to be the night auditor and asking me to give my credit card number. Room service was on par with Applebees, except it was twice the price. On a more positive note the front desk folks were pleasant.

Room Tip: Try Hotel Dupont.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. I do want to apologize for any and all inconveniences that occurred during your stay. As stated on other Trip Advisor responses, the hotel is aware of the hotel’s condition issues and due these issues, the hotel is very excited to announce that it is currently under a room and guest hallway renovation. The first section of the renovation is scheduled to be complete by the end of 2012. This includes: guestroom and hallway rug, guestroom and hallway wallpaper, draperies and lighting in both guestroom and hallways. In 2013, the hotel will continue to enhance the guest experience in the guestrooms.
In regards to the scam call that you received; this is unfortunately is a scam that many cities and hotels have fallen prey to for the last decade. As soon as I arrived on that following morning, an email was sent to every guest that stayed in the hotel to make them aware of the situation and to ensure every guests safety and security.
Again thank you for your feedback and I wish you a Happy Holiday season
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Paid a total of $70 on Priceline for what ended up being a king suite. The suite itself is very large with a nice layout. There are flat screens in both rooms.

As for the negatives. The sofa is quite hard. The carpet has a bunch of stains and the bathroom had some hair in the corners of the floors. Priceline showed that the room had free wifi but it turns out that it's $10 per device per day. Hotel parking costs $16/day.

Overall good for what I payed but not up to actual 4 star standards.

• Stayed December 2012
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. It is truly appreciated. The hotel aware of many of the condition issues that exist in the hotel and we are excited that we have finally started a much needed renovation in many of these areas and it will all be completed before year end of 2012.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope that the next time you are in the area you will decide to stay with us again. Please ask for a newly renovated room.
Happy Holidays
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our party came to Wilmington for the Grand Gala and had excellent accommodation at the Sheraton. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Our rooms were very well appointed and surprising large. The only problem we had with the room was one of the showers drained slowly.

Our breakfast in the hotel restaurant was the usual hotel fare but well presented and very large portions. The restaurant wait staff were very attentive and happy to accommodate special request.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with the hotel. The staff was excited to read your comments as they are committed to guest satisfaction with every guest. Hopefully you let the staff know about the drain issue so we can address it. If not please feel free to contact the hotel directly. Thank you again and Happy Holidays.
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We visit Wilmington often as my family lives there. We stayed in the Sheraton Suites about three years ago and it was passable. My husband made the reservation this time and I could hardly believe the difference. Every employee was obviously so well trained and friendly. Our experience was very good and we will definitely return. Rooms were spacious and everyone so friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience that you encountered during your recent stay. The staff and I take great pride in delivering service that exceeds guest expectations (or at minimum meets those expectations). I glad to hear that you experienced that type of service this past weekend. It was also a pleasure to talk to both you and your husband. Again, thank you so much for your feedback.
Happy Holidays !!