“Nice Staff, Terrible Room”

Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Arlington, Virginia
“Nice Staff, Terrible Room”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I thought this was the Sheraton Suites, but the room I stayed in was more on the equivalent level of a cheap motel.

The staff was nice and accomodating, but the room was unacceptable. Some of the living room area doors were missing knobs, the bathroom ceiling had water stains, the sheets were torn and the outlet next to the sink in the bathroom was broken with internal components clearly visible.
Upon calling the front desk to inform them of the torn sheets, we were told that some would be sent promptly and after 20 minutes, called back to have a different front desk worker inform us that they had no knowledge of sheets being needed.

I will not return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KosMarkov
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered during your recent stay. Although it may not appear to be true, this hotel and its staff take great pride in delivering a high level service to our customers and will continue to do everything in our power to meet everyone’s expectations. I have talked directly with both the Housekeeping Manager and Maintenance about your issues and discussed ways to remedy this types of issues in the future. Thank you for sharing your experience with us so that we may improve upon our services.

Sincerely
Eric Jolikko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed there for 1 night in September after a visit to Longwood gardens.
Hotel had no hot water that day and the garage was full.
SPG lounge only had apples and drinks left when I arrived (around 10 pm), no coffee.
The room was OK for a family of 4, nothing special though.
In addition of SPG points I was charged about $77 for ?brand reward program and taxes.
A front desk clerk assured me that these charges will be covered by SPG, however my credit card was charged. A message to the hotel manager was left unanswered.
I normally don't pay that many points for a regular property unless it's near a major attraction or in one of the major cities, made an exception this time and ended up paying extra.
Not worth it (+ the aggravation)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Europegoer
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for comments regarding your stay. In addition, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay.
As I stated in the letter that I sent out to all hotel guests on late Saturday afternoon; the hotel experienced one of its hot water boiler pumps fail. The letter was put out to be proactive in case any guest experienced an issue with the water temperature in their guest rooms and not because this hotel or I wanted to provide a “sub-par experience”. Not every guest experienced an issue and when I put this letter out we were hoping that no one had an issue. I am aware that some guests did have an issue on Saturday evening and early Sunday morning but hot water was completely restored to the hotel by 9am on Sunday as the plumbers were able to temporary fix the issue until Monday morning when they completely replaced the pump. There wasn’t a clear cut pattern of which rooms were affected so I instructed the front desk to give a room discount to the guests that did call down with hot water issues. I am uncertain whether you called down to the desk or mentioned the issue at check-out but if you call me directly I would be more than happy to refund your points. Look forward to talk with you.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here when we found out Hotel duPont overbooked us for a local wedding. What a gift! The place is beautiful and we are hotel snobs. Service very good got checked in ASAP. Our room was huge and very clean! It was decorated nicely and the bedding was very comfortable and felt like home not like a hotel. One minor complaint was the shower water was initially cold but they told us with a note that they had a problem an we're working to fix it and they did so promptly. The only other small issue was the concierge breakfast on the 11 th floor. The food was cold and the woman servicing us was cranky. I would stay here again

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with the hotel. I am glad that you were able to have the opportunity to stay with us the last time you were in Wilmington. The hotel’s staff always strives to meet/exceed expectations and I am sorry that they did not during your stay. I can tell you that the AM Club Lounge attendant has been changed and we now have a phenomenal gentleman taking care of the guests.
Thank you again and we truly hope to see you the next time you are in Wilmington
Warm Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My recent stay at the Sheraton was superb. The room was comfortable, breakfast was delicious and service was excellent. I must say I have to credit the front desk for making this possible, particularly Shawna. I had a problem with my credit card and was able to get the situation rectified without any stress due to her patience and professionalism. The Sheraton will definitely be at the top of my list for my future travel plans.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank VCarv
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your glowing feedback about your stay and Shawna. The staff and I truly appreciate it. As mentioned numerous times before, the staff strives to ensure that all guest stays are great. I am glad to hear that you were able to experience this during your stay
Thank you and we hope to see you in the future.
Bedford, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel was very clean, the room very comfortable. Mom, sis and I spent a girls weekend in the suite with 2 double beds and a double sofa in the living room. We had more than enough space for the 3 of us. The coffee maker and frig in the room were an unexpected surprise--could do very nicely if you just wanted to lounge in for a continental breakfast. Hotel staff from Rich, to Latifah in the restaurant were great, friendly, attentive and helpful. If you are there for the buffet breakfast on Sunday, have the chef make fresh eggs for you. The buffet eggs are cooked marginal but everything else was great. The location was not great for a weekend as the financial district is kind of quiet--we like more activity, but would probably choose this hotel for all the other features.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown. All of our rooms are two room suites. With the addition of the refrigerator and microwave, the hotel is ideal for both business and leisure guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your suite. I was also very pleased to hear that the staff (especially Richard and Latifah) took excellent care of you and your family, the entire staff strives to give all hotel guests this same experience.
Thank you again and we look forward to see you again in the future.
Southwest Ranches, FL
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel staff, especially Gloria in the restaurant is worth returning for. I thought the breakfast buffet was pricey for what you got, but it was convenient. The rooms are very large, with a sitting area and a separate bedroom. They have a good sized refridgerator and a microwave if you want to prepare some of your own food, though other than the desk in the room there is really no where to sit and eat n the room. There is a cute area nearby to go eat or go out to some bars, the problem is that all the surrounding area looks like a run down neighborhood that I wouldn't want to walk alone or even accompanied and especially after dark.

Room Tip: There is apparently a club level in the hotel that includes some appetizers and snacks and drinks...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. The staff strives to provide the best service possible to all the guests during their stay. I am glad to hear that Gloria was able to provide that type of service to you. In addition, to enhance the guest experience the hotel will be starting a guest renovation starting in November. Thank you again and we truly hope to see you again when you are in the Wilmington area.
Austin, Tx.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here the night before a marathon. Sleep is really important to me while traveling for races and this hotel did not disappoint. The front desk was helpful and directed me to a restaurant nearby. I was also able to get a late check out without any problems.
They have free wifi in the check in area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I hope that you did well in the race and met or exceeded your goal time. I would agree that the beds are extremely comfortable and if you are interested are available for purchase at Sheraton.com. Thank you again and we truly hope to see you again when you are in the Wilmington area.