“Next time we will stay with friends”

Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Next time we will stay with friends”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were in Wilmington for the weekend to meet up with some of my boyfriends college friends. We decided to stay downtown in the Sheraton because the rate was reasonable and it would give another stay towards elite status for the year. We had a general lackluster check in and given the fact that it was the Sunday of memorial day weekend (this is a shore city everyone pretty much clears out on the weekends to go to the beach) it was a ghost town to say the least. We have only just recently started to stay at starwoods more frequently and up until this point had had nothing but EXCELLENT customer service and guest satisfaction. He is a platinum at starwood and none of the usual amenities were offered (no free internet, no free water in the room, no welcome amenity and no room upgrade (which we didn't expect really since its an all suites hotel other than an upgrade to the executive floor). The executive lounge was closed however this weekend even tho all starwoods lounges are supposed to be open 7 days a week. The pool was cloudy and there were no towels and the ceiling was leaking into the pool. Ice was on alternating floors and there was no sign saying that if you took the stairwell to the next floor for ice that you would get locked out, we found out the hard way after traveling down 10 flights of stairs. When we returned from our college reunion the room was like a sauna and given our general stay I we slept and woke up bright and early to get out of there. The positives however is that it is a nice big room and it appeared to be clean so I would stay again if we just needed a place to sleep and nothing more.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Not a bad room, furnished nicely, comfortable bed, the down side;
sirens in the street all hours of the night; people yelling on the street in the wee hours, wifi is $9.95 a day extra, parking is $16.00 a day Sun thru Thur & $12.00 a day Mon thru Sat. Lobby coffee; $2.00 a cup. Water; $3.00 a pint. A quart of water in the room is $5.00 if you open it. OMG! No thanks.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Really, I had to look to find things to complain about. The front desk reception was friendly and efficient. Rooms were spacious, clean and in good condition. Restaurant was good for breakfast (though they did charge for coffee refills), but not much of a wine selection in the evening. Still, service was friendly and efficient.
There is free internet in the lobby, but it's 10 bucks per day for the "High Speed" wireless by AT&T in the guest rooms. I think my old 14.4 dial-up modem was faster. Seriously! Save your cash if you can do without the convenience in your room. How do hotels get away with charging for internet these days anyway?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
JeremyGM, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Dear "FrequentEater666",

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Sheraton Suites Wilmington Hotel. I am happy to hear you were greeted by our "friendly and efficient" front desk team. I agree with your comment about our suites being "spacious, clean, and in good condition" as well. I am sorry if our wine selection did not provide you with enough options, however I am glad to hear your feedback about the service being friendly and efficient. As you mentioned we do offer complimentary internet in our "Link at Sheraton" where you can plug in your own laptop or utilize one of our computers. There is a fee of $9.95 per day for internet in your suite which is a Sheraton standard. I am sorry if this did not meet your expectations.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and let me know if I can assist in the future.

Upstate New York
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel. Positives first. Every staff person I came in contact with was professional and friendly. The hotel is clean. The pool and fitness area are small but nice. I swam with my kids two nights in a row, and we enjoyed ourselves. Despite these positives, overall, I would NOT recommend this hotel at all. First, the rates are low because they jack up the hidden costs everywhere on things that are included at most hotels. They suck people in through cheap rates on Priceline then charge $12 a night for parking, $10 a day for wifi, $16 for breakfast. The breakfast should be excellent for that price. It's mediocre at best. This hotel is a complete scam, and gives the Sheraton name a horrible reputation. I will be much more cautious with Sheratons in the future. Second big negative is the rundown nature of the hotel. It may be clean, but it's old and worn. The carpet is spotted, the furniture is dented, and the bathrooms are outdated. The beds are way too soft with top sheets that don't fit. I'm a good sleeper, and I had two bad nights trying to sleep on these uncomfortable beds. Stay far away from this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in another hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed April 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend visit to Newark and Philly. Staff was nice and quick. Location is downtown and felt safe. We skipped on the hotel garage parking and parked at a meter in front of the hotel for free (meters are free Friday nights through 8 a.m. Monday). The building was clean and so was our room. Our suite was huge and included a microwave and refrigerator. There were 2 large flat screen TVs, 1 in the sitting room and 1 in the bedroom. The bathroom had a large marble countertop and there was also a large marble counter outside of the bathroom where you could get ready. The king size bed was clean and very comfy.

The only thing we were disappointed about was the wifi. It was free in the lobby but they charged you like 9 or 10 bucks if you wanted to use it in your room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
JeremyGM, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Dear "JS92003",
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Suites during your long weekend visit to Newark and Philadelphia (just 30 miles north of us). I am glad to hear that you were able to find parking on the street behind the Hotel, but we do offer a covered parking garage if you prefer for a nominal fee. We strive to provide a clean, comfortable, and spacious suite for a great value. As you mentioned we do offer complimentary wifi at The Link @ Sheraton which is located in the Hotel lobby at no charge. We offer wireless internet for a fee in our guest suites which is standard for all Sheraton Hotels. As an alternative the Four Points by Sheraton Brand does offer internet included in their room rates. Again, I appreciate your feedback and hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

NJ
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Excellent stay at the Sheraton Suites, Wilmington. Let's just get that out of the way right off the bat. Got a great price thru Hotwire. Was traveling from NJ to DE. Arrived late Friday night, 4/8, around 10:30 - 11pm. Check in was a breeze, the front desk girl was so friendly and welcoming (sorry didn't catch your name). I explained to her that this was mine & my wife's first trip to Wilmington, DE and if it would be possible to get a room with a nice view of the city. Boom, bang, bing I'm on the 10th floor with a SPECTACULAR view of the city. Plenty and I mean plenty of free parking on the streets surrounding the hotel. Apparently, you don't need to feed the meters on the weekends which was awesome. Parked right out back, grabbed our bags and went to our room. NEVER ONCE, FOR ONE SINGLE SECOND, DID I FEEL UNSAFE around this hotel. In fact, we never saw anyone from the time we parked out back, until we entered the lobby of the hotel. Never saw a bum, never saw shady people, never saw people staring at us, never saw people loitering. We felt 100% safe.

Rooms - This is where the hotel really shines. Large, well appointed rooms await you upon arrival. Great in room amentities such as refrig, microwave, starbucks coffee, separate sink in little bar area, and the best of all, a separate tv room from the bedroom. You can actually close the two rooms off with dividing doors if you wish. BIG vanity mirror outside the bathroom which my wife LOVED! The beds are some of the most comfortable I've ever slept on in my life. The sheets are so white and clean it looks like they just took them out of a brand new package right before you arrived. Pillows are out of this world. You won't want to get out of bed! Shower was hot with awesome water pressure. Tile was clean, no signs of mold. Central heat worked great in the room. Actually had to turn it down overnight because it was getting too warm in the room.

We only stayed 1 night and didn't get to utilize the restaurants, pool, fitness center, etc so I cannot comment on those particular aspects of the hotel. We're not so petty as to scrutinize hotel decor, carpeting, wear & tear, etc but my wife and I didn't notice one single thing that jumped out at us. We actually thought the hotel was quite chic and upscale looking.

We would return to this hotel in a HEARTBEAT. We're planning a long road trip this summer down south and I will be booking this hotel again as it's super duper convenient to I-95. And no, I absolutely in no way work or am affiliated with this hotel. This is just a 100% truthful review of our experience. BOOK THIS HOTEL, you will not regret it!

1 Thank zagulak32
Hello "Zagulak32",
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites in Wilmington. It is great to hear that you and your wife had such an enjoyable experience on your first trip to Wilmington. It sounds like the view, spacious suite, multiple flat screen TV's, dividing doors to separate the bedroom area, security of the Hotel, cleanliness, and amenities assisted in creating your great experience. If you do get to take that long road trip this summer we would welcome the opportunity to be one of your stops on the way. Hopefully you will be able to experience the rest the Hotel has to offer.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Got a great deal on Priceline but was a bit concerned because of other TA reviews. Agree with all the comments re the carpet in the lift and the public areas were so dark! Check in was fine and staff were very friendly. The room was nice and bright and didn't see any stains on the furniture. Ate dinner in the restaurant a couple of times and food was good as was the service. Swimming Pool & Exercise room were rather remote and at the end of a corridor with only meeting rooms. Parking price was reasonable given it was downtown but I would like to see them offer free wifi. I did have a small issue with the bill (I checked it on the TV in the room) and talked to a receptionist who said she would look into it but I didn't hear back. However, it was resolved by the Front Desk Manager at checkout. I just have to say this didn't feel like a Sheraton but can't complain about the price.

Dear "WeeLuv2Travel2",
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Suites in Wilmington. I am glad that you were able to reserve a suite at the Hotel at a "great deal". Thank you for the positive comments about the staff at the Hotel as well. I am glad you were able to enjoy a couple meals in Basil Bar & Restaurant as both the service and food are excellent. For those guests that choose to park with us, we do offer reasonable parking rates for a downtown Hotel of $16 Sunday through Thursday evenings and $12 for Friday and Saturday evenings. We do offer complimentary internet in the Link @ Sheraton located in our Lobby, however there is a charge for the internet in the guest suite which is standard for all Sheraton Hotels. I am glad to hear the front desk manager was able to resolve your concerns at checkout. I am sorry if you did not feel we were a Sheraton and would welcome any future feedback.