“Elevator Access”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Washington, DC, United States
“Elevator Access”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Elevator access at this specific hotel is below usual standard for Double Tree. In previous visit the elevator and room key system was not functioning. During this visit the elevator was slow at times.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

chapman1118, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dai-
Thank you for the review! We apologies that the elevator issues created difficulty during your stay. The hotel has begun a 5 million dollar reinvention and the elevators are being addressed. We hope that you will see an improvement the next time you stay with us!

Yours in Hospitality,

Eric Chapman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for several nights at the end of May while in Delaware for our son's wedding. The hotel was nicely appointed, and our suite was very comfortable.The restaurant was a great spot for breakfast, and allowed our extensive family to get together in the morning to regroup. We also hosted a delicious brunch for over 100 people the morning after the wedding, and were extremely pleased with the quality of the food and service. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and made the entire experience wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the review! We are glad that your group had such a great experience during your stay. We hope that you are able to come again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,

Eric Chapman
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I have been going back and forth about placing my review on The Double Tree by Hilton Wilmington, Delaware for almost a month now. I just finished placing a couple reviews of restaurants I recently enjoyed. I like to give credit where credit is due, which is why I always like to share a good experience on Trip Advisor by inviting others to have the pleasant experience I have enjoyed. We work too hard for our money and I, myself don’t like to be disappointed, which leads me to where I’m headed.
Choosing Double Tree by Hilton, Wilmington was my biggest regret. Back in February, I checked out hotels in the Wilmington area to accommodate some out of town guests for my husband’s 50th surprise party being held two miles away from the Double Tree. I did look at the Double Tree a few weeks before hand as a potential place for the party, but it didn’t have the intimate atmosphere I was looking for. So, I decided to go with the Country Club instead and was more than pleased with my decision. However, I still needed to fins a hotel to accommodate my guests. The Double Tree was a nice looking hotel, but what really sold me was that they have a shuttle service. This was perfect for the guests to check in and not have to worry about driving back to the hotel. I booked a block of ten rooms, the shuttle and requested with each booking in my block to include breakfast and put the breakfast on my charge (a little thank you to everyone for coming). So it begins……
Mind you, I booked this in February as my husband’s surprise party is/was on June 21st. On May 1st the invitations were mailed, but being the organized freak that I am, I called the Double Tree to confirm my reservations (7 weeks in advance), go over the shuttle service, rooms ect. I was told that since I reserved through they’re online reservation number, the shuttle should not have been reserved and I did not have ten rooms on a block, but rather ten rooms were to be charged to my account! Really, do you honestly think I’m going to sleep in ten rooms in one night??? I could see if I reserved ten rooms for others, but wouldn’t that require me to also give the name of the people checking in? I was told that the shuttle is an independent service through this Double Tree and reservations had no right to reserve it. I asked the hotel how this could be fixed, she simply said, oh, we recommend this shuttle service and gave me the number. I was told the bill would be $800.00 to pick up the guests at two different times and drop everyone off following the party (shuttle service three times in 6 ½ hours to drive 2 mi. Now, I’m not blaming the shuttle service (they are a business) and they did a great job. I just cannot believe the hotel didn’t blink an eye to think it was fine for me to pay $800.00 for their mistake, Unbelievable.
Long story not as long as the story, the hotel paid half the shuttle, told me as an apology that the breakfast would be on the hotel, and they have worked things out and were able to do the block. Oh, and the girl had a nerve to tell me, thank GOD you called to confirm! The BOOM…..the breakfast was not picked up (I paid the bills), we did not get a block, we were on different floors although the guests requested to have our rooms together and they said it will be done (not). My block was supposed to be ten rooms. Six (12) of us were able to get rooms and four (8) others were told they were booked. My other guests had to stay at two other hotels. This was a horrible experience. I am still disappointed and I was embarrassed as I had to explain this to our guests that weren’t able to get the room.
To make matters worse, no one called following our stay to ask if everything went well. They just didn’t care. Also, I received a survey from Double Tree and gave a terrible rating and explained myself in the comments. Too funny, they emailed me back, said we saw we fell short; we’re spending Five million dollars on renovations! Really??? Do you think I care after what you put me through?

Room Tip: Air worked well
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The room was ready early as requested. It was very clean and beautiful. The front desk were pleasant and accommodating. Housekeeping to were very pleasant. The pool was very nice as was the hot tub. We were permitted a late check out as well. Breakfast was included which was a plus as well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Maryland
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed here for one night because we were in town for a family birthday cook-out.. The hotel was clean and the rooms were very nice and the bed was very comfy. We eat and had a few drinks at the bar/restuarant. I would stay here again. The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Very nice hotel, conveniently located - internet service was not good, but the room was very comfortable and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Housekeeping could have done a better job with the vacuum cleaner, but the bathroom and beds were very clean. Air conditioning unit was very noisy but did keep the room cool and with the hot week we were having, the noise was overlooked! Cookies were awesome!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night for a family affair. The staff was helpful and friendly. The location was very easy to access from 95 and plenty of food places near by. The rooms were clean and modern. Booking online offered the best discount. I only wish there were a few more handicapped parking spaces.

Stayed July 2014