“Repeated Business Trips”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Mesa, Arizona
“Repeated Business Trips”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I last stayed in this hotel in April 2008. I honestly can't see much changes since then in the rooms. The hotel is located on a busy street / highway that gets a lot of traffic. I've not really been bothered by the noise from the street. I have been back here 4 or 5 times now and have a street facing room a few of those times. I may just not notice it as I spend a lot of time in hotels and have adapted.

The Room
The room itself is pretty roomy (I've had 2 doubles and King rooms). There is a nice work area which isn't placed in front of the AC / Heat unit (a nice touch as it doesn't blow on you while you are working). The TV works well and the beds are comfortable. I'd prefer a foam pillow but the 4 or 5 that are in the room are all down. There doesn't ever seem to be an extra blanket / Pillow in my closet either. In some rooms they include a nice amenities in the bathroom including a scrub. I do have some complaints about the room. The entry to the room feels tight. The close is right behind the door in most rooms and the closet is hard to get into as the room is tight. I have metal hangars for my dress shirts and I have to turn them to get them on and off the bar due to it being so close to the shelf above. The bathroom is very small. I always feel I'm bumping into the shower curtain or the door in some of the rooms. The toilets are the old non-elongated toilets and feel really outdated. Perhaps it's an east cost thing but it just feels very small. I have had a few problems with shower heads and their water pressure. Overall the pressure at the hotel is great but a faulty shower head will reduce it greatly. My current room barely fogs up the window with the water hot and the door closed as there is not much water coming out of the shower head. The hotel did move me one week to a nice suite to make up for not being able to fix it which was great other than the fact the internet access in the bedroom of the suite (located behind elevators) was non-existent. Also housekeepers don't always empty my trash (There are two in the room and the bathroom one usually is emptied but the one I use the most is by the desk and it's not uncommon for it to not be emptied when I return from work. The AC Unit works pretty well but like most hotels isn't quiet. The curtains hang down over the vents however and only some rooms seem to have a plastic shield to keep the curtains from catching all the air. When the plastic piece isn't there the room takes a while to cool or heat as the air is forced into the window area.

Hotel
The workout room is small but does have some dumbbells and a couple treadmills. The front desk area is nice and open and there is a small "store" for snacks, some stuff for the microwave and stuff you forgot. There are two "towers" and thus two sets of elevators. Make sure you get in the right one for your room.

Restaurant
I only use the restaurant for breakfast so I'm not sure how it is for dinner but the breakfast buffet is good to OK. They have eggs, potatoes, french toast, pancakes (sometimes) and panini sandwiches or quiche, sausage and bacon (The bacon here is horrible, it's very thin and just has an off taste. I love bacon and haven't been able to eat it past week one). There are also breads, small bagels which I love due to their size you don't feel so full) and some danish items. They have milk and fruit and other stuff available which is nice. Not sure what they charge for it as I'm a Diamond member and get it for free but it's a decent meal. The waiters and waitresses are very nice and friendly.

Overall
This is a good hotel and depending on the price it is a good value. I use a corporate rate and therefor it's worth that rate. I would like to see some updates to the decor and stuff (it just feels old and knowing it looks/is the same as 2008 and not sure how old it was then) makes the hotel feel older. The staff at the front desk is very friendly and I really appreciate what they do to make things right when they go awry.

Getting in and out of the hotel is a little tough as there is a median (I've seen a lot of people driving over the median but to enter when going south, you should turn around at the light just south of the hotel and to go south coming out of the hotel you should turn around at the light just north of the hotel.

Room Tip: I would choose one in the "north" tower and away from the street if possible
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your review, Mr. Robertson. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. When you stayed here in 2008, the hotel was recently renovated. We will be undergoing a $5 million dollar reinvention beginning in 2014, so many of your suggestions will be addressed: larger fitness room, updated guest rooms/products, updates to the HVAC systems, etc. We will have our engineering dept take a look at the shower head in the room that you stayed in to ensure that the pressure is working correctly. Thank you for letting us know!
We hope you do come back and visit after our reinvention next year to witness the new and exciting changes at the DoubleTree Wilmington!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
wilmington, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

My opinion in staying in this hotel, this hotel is very nice and good location and have very good staff group for service " thanks very much for best host and i hope i come back again and stay in this hotel in nearest time

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your review and your kind words, Mohamed! We are so thrilled that you experienced very good staff & service, enjoyed our location, and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in town!
Wilmington, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

My recent stay was for business. Unfortunatley the downtown hotel was fully booked so this was not as conveniently located. No breakfast is included which is disappointing given the rate that is charged and considering I am HH member. Otherwise it is a good stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review, John. We are glad that you experienced good service & a great room while staying with us. Although breakfast is not included in our standard room rates, we do have some rates that include breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future again!
philadelphia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel was a convenient location for all our needs, comfortable accommodations, staff friendly, especially security staff. Kalvin, with security went out of his way to assist our group when we unknowingly got a little too noisy. He was very friendly and professional. We will return and we highly recommend this hotel for group occasions.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thanks for the great review! So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again!
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel is situated on a busy highway on the outskirts of Wilmington. It is an ideal business location. There are a number of chain restaurants close by and many shops and malls to choose from. Overall it is a nice hotel, with friendly staff and good facilities. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your 5 star review! We are so pleased that you had a great stay!
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My mother and I spent a couple of nights at this hotel in October 2013. The goal of our trip was to visit Nemours, Longwood Gardens and Winterthur. This hotel was about 15 minutes from all of these attractions.

Our experience with the front desk was very positive - nothing says "welcome" better than a warm chocolate cookie. Our room was on the fifth floor (no view to speak of) and was clean and comfortable - the bed and pillows especially cozy. We had a toilet issue on our first night - we called down to the front desk and were greeted by a friendly and professional plumber just minutes later. He fixed our problem in a matter of minutes.

We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant our first morning - the buffet was reasonably priced (~$12 with coffee & juice), fresh, and with many choices.

I was slightly annoyed on Saturday when the restaurant sign said that the lounge opened at 3pm. When we asked the front desk, they said it opened at 4pm. We waited until 4:20pm and went somewhere else instead. Other than that it is important to note that this hotel seems to be a wedding depot. I saw fliers for 3 weddings over the weekend we stayed. We were staying next door to someone in the wedding party - and Friday night was a bit rowdy. Saturday was more controlled. I'm a heavy sleeper though, it may be of concern if you sleep light.

I'd stay here again if the price was right. I would also consider staying in one of the other area hotels if they offered a more competitive price (this area is not lacking in moderately priced hotel options).

Room Tip: If there are wedding parties staying on that weekend ask to be placed as far from the wedding party...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review and for staying with us when you were visiting the area. We are glad that you received a warm welcome and had a positive experience with the Maintenance, Front Office & breakfast. We are so sorry that the restaurant was not available during your stay. We will bring this up with our Restaurant staff to ensure that we are opening at the correct time of 4pm. We did have a number of groups staying with us during the weekend that you visited, so thank you for your patience with any guests that may have been a little loud. Thank you for letting us know, and we hope to enjoy your company again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The night attendant Dominique was a great help going out of her way the assure our stay was a pleasant one. The hotel housekeeping was great and did a great job on our room after having friends over and a night o drinking and football.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your 5 star review and for staying wtih us! We are so glad that you had a great experience and we'll be sure to pass along your great comments about Dominique! Come back anytime!