“Sketchy neighborhood”

Courtyard Wilmington Downtown
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We had stayed in a series of Pricelined hotels that were a bit disappointing and decided to splurge on our last night of vacation and stay in a Marriott, since they are always familiar and very good. The neighborhood was very sketchy; I did not feel safe. However, there is a secure garage, but in order to get there we had to pass bums and a fight that had broken out. When we arrived in our room, it was just okay. The bathroom, while it appeared clean, was very outdated and worn. Not what I would expect for the price paid and the Marriott name. The desk clerk was extremely helpful and pleasant, but the staff at the bistro the following morning were rude. Overall, it was a decent stay....but not what is expected from a Marriott.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShayB27
meghan p, Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

I am so sorry for the experienced you encountered here at the Wilmington Downtown Courtyard during your stay. I would just like to just give you an update if you ever do decide to stay with us again. We are currently in the middle of updated all of our guest room bathrooms. Also we do current have security at night if you would like them to walk to the parking structure with you if you or a family member were uncomfortable. Lastly I would like to let you know that I will follow up with the bistro associates to ensure they are treating every guest with respect and taking care of guests needs. Again I would like to apologize for the experience you had during your stay. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I spend 50+ nights a year in Marriott hotels and this is by far the worst property I stay at. It's an older property and it has significant problems. The biggest issue is that tissue paper has greater sound insulation qualities than the walls of this hotel. End up with a neighbor who snores and you will be on TripAdvisor writing a review at 3 AM rather than sleeping. Add in street noise and not even the TV can drown out the exterior sounds.

I'm forced to stay in this hotel several times a year for business reasons and I dread every visit. It's old. It's really noisy. It's just not up to Marriott standards.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sparty219
meghan p, Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

I am so sorry for the disturbance you experienced here at the Wilmington Downtown Courtyard during your stay with us. If you are with us again we do have white noise machines at the front desk to try and help with some outside noise or neighboring noises that we can put in your room. Also if you are here on a regular basis we can be sure to pre block you there for you are away from the street side and in a back corner where it tends to be a little quieter for our guests. I am so sorry for the disturbance you encountered again.

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean rooms this was second time staying here. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends i would also stay here again. I do wish they had better deals on the room cost . The staff was very nice and helpful.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions in the past, but were pleased to see that this year it had undergone a very pleasant renovation to its entire ground floor including the reception and breakfast areas. The rooms, while small, have everything that you might require. The reception staff were very helpful and the breakfast staff very obliging. They make terrific bacon just the way I like it! The hotel is very well situated to downtown Offices and to a selection of restaurants.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor at the end of the corridor looking towards the back of the building...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Christina R, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you for being such a loyal guest; I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our lobby renovation to include The Bistro and that our associates took good care of you.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This hotel is located in central Wilmington. We arrived by Amtrak in the afternoon on a very hot and sunny July-day, over 90 F. We didn't take a cab but walked to the hotel. It worked but we were tired after walking for about half an hour. When we came there my credit card didn't get through. The receptionist said we should call our bank about it because when you travel the bank can Believe the card is stolen, a kind of security. But who calls a bank in Sweden in the middle of the night (time differences).My partner's card worked. Mine had been used for our other hotel, the first in the USA we had been at. This was the second. I checked my account online and nothing was wrong. There was enough Money to use. I said this will be a big problem for us when travelling over 3 weeks if the bank believes that the card is stolen in every state. I Went down to the front desk to talk about it but she insisted it didn't work. Ok, something must be wrong. I was very sad about this. And indeed very worried about this. To add it was our anniversary. When I again told that nothing was wrong with the account and wanted the receptionist to listen to my problem, not saying it was her fault, she was acting very rude and wanted me to calm down and raised her voice. To add she starting talking to her colleagues about it at the front desk and said my card didn't work but my partner's. I felt very upset about this and still sad afterwards. We didn't even feel for eating out but forced ourselves to. Not much to choose from after 5 pm. After some time we found a pasta/pizza Place and the credit card worked. The room was quite ok and breakfast was included. It was no traditional breakfast. you chose from a hot or a Continental deal. We took the Continental. We had Three things to add. We had the yoghurt cups with pineapples/cocoa, So fresh and yummy. The yoghurt cup and the nice receptionist at checking-out made this Review from 1 to 2. It feels this hotel is more of a business hotel than for Tourists. The Town-centre has not much to offer except for the nice Delaware museum and the Old Swedes Church, a few restaurants open after 5 pm. Not many people out after 7 pm. I wouldn't walk there alone in the evening.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. July was hot and humid this year, so I can imagine how you felt after walking to our hotel from the Amtrak station. Even though we are just over 1 mile away, we do not typically suggest walking, especially with luggage. I am so sorry that we experienced an issue with you credit card and for how our front desk associate handled the situation and how she made you feel. I will be sure to review your comments with all of our currect front desk associates as we have had some staffing changes in the 4 months since your stay. I do hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your travel in the US.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Honestly, this hotel was only selected because its location near my meeting. I arrived late, hungry and tired. I was extremely pleased they had an in hotel bistro. Even though it was soup and a sandwich, both were done very well. The staff were extremely personable, helpful and professional. The room was quiet, clean and well appointed. In the morning they were willing to hold my bag while I was at my meeting - and even greeted me by name when I came back to retrieve it. They did a great job! Thanks for making my stay so pleasant.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I've stayed here a couple times for work. The location is perfect - walking distance to few bars, restaurants, and the office. Most places close down after business hours, so plan ahead for supper. Hotel doesn't have room service, but there is a bistro on site that is open until about 10pm. You can order and take up to your room.

The rooms had plenty of space. It's great to sprawl our without feeling claustrophobic. The King size bed was very comfy. Loved the pillows too. The first trip I stayed, my room was right next to the elevator - didn't hear a sound! The second trip, I had very noisy neighbors. I called the front desk on the second night and I didn't hear them again. Thankfully.

The front desk staff and security were very nice and bubbly! Great after a long flight. When I travel to Wilmington again for work, I hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing East will have a beautiful view of the sunrise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business