“Good experience, good breakfast, good area!” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Brandywine Valley Inn
BEST WESTERN Brandywine Valley Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
ny
“Good experience, good breakfast, good area!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

Not sure what all the past negative experiences have been about, but I would swear that we were not at the same place those reviewers were. Maybe improvements have been made since their stays (???) The room and bathroom areas were neat and clean, clean sheets and towels and very comfortable beds. Very central location, close to shopping and dining. The daily breakfast was good...very hot yummy coffee, good bagels, cereals, juice....nothing fancy, just a nice way to start the day. I would admit that the place is more "motel-like" than a hotel.....but we felt very safe. We brought our canine family member and the additional charge was only $25 for the entire stay. There are places to walk your pet, but you need to go to the side and back of the hotel, which is ok.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Herndon, Virginia, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

No bed bugs on first night, but new sheets brought new bugs -- tons of them. We packed up and left in the middle of the night. At checkout, the desk clerk gave me the manager's business card and said to call her on Monday to see if she would adjust the rate. If we bring those bed bugs to our house, a rate adjustment will be inadequate.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

Great place for the money. I felt like I was in a fort. The rooms surround the pool. Wish I could have stayed another day to lounge around pool. Friendly helpful staff and great breakfast!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Trappe, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend as a good value for the money. Then I saw the reviews on-line which led me to have a few questions about the place so I called them directly. I asked pointed questions about some of the things I had read and about the rooms which the staff member answered thoroughly. I decided to give the place a try. It was easy to find and check in was a breeze. The facility and room was clean and the staff was friendly. Several hours later the phone in our room rang and it was the staff member I had talked with the night before when I had called checking in to make sure everything was to our satisfaction and see if we needed anything. Wow...I was impressed! I thanked her for calling and assured her so far everything was just fine. We ate at the Hollywood Diner for both dinner and breakfast, which we found to be not only convienient but reasonably priced with good food and service. The entire stay was comfortable and we will stay again in the future.

• Stayed July 2010
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband ,extended family and I stayed at this hotel for a family gathering. We entered the hotel on Wednesday, June 23, 2010. Upon arrival, I noticed that my nephew was playing the lovely piano and my husband went to him and asked if someone had given him permission to be on the piano and he said yes. Mary, the manager, came in and told him he should not be on the piano and removed him from the piano and closed the covering over the keys. It seems to me that Mary should have spoken with her personnel staff first and then proceeded to inform us that the piano was for display only. By the way, the young lady that checked us in had given my nephew's grandmother permission to be on the piano. We got to our room, room # 147, on the end, near the street. We got to the door and we literally had to PUSH the door open; not only did we have to do this one time, but everytime we entered or exited this room. My sister-in-law had a room down from my husband and me and told us her toilet was stopped up. The next day, someone came and repaired it. The next evening, our toilet was stopped up. I called the front desk and spoke with a female and she said she would send someone over right away. My husband and I waited in the room all evening and no one showed up. I think the young lady just forgot to pass the message on; understandable. The next day, I called the front desk again and spoke with Marquee -explained to him how the toilet was still stopped up and how we had waited for someone to repair it. He said he could send someone over right away and that is just what he did - very much appreciated. I read a review from pearl65 about the breakfast she had; we had no pastries and no hard boiled eggs. Let me also mention that the waffle maker was not working. We were informed that breakfast would be ready at 6:00 a.m. however, we never experienced that. We were up in the lobby by 6:00 a.m. and breakfast was not ready. The coffee was horrible- cold and weak. One one morning, we were in the lobby and my husband witnessed someone working at the front desk tell a fellow employee that he had "fresh coffee" in the back. What, we paying guests are not worthy of fresh coffee???!!!! We checked out of this hotel on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 during the wee morning hours because our flight from Baltimore/Washington left early and when we got to the front desk, my husband and sister-in-law witnessed the gentleman who was working the front desk in the back sleeping. On top of that my aunt, who is a diabetic, showed us red marks on her ankles where she'd obviously been bitten by some type of bug. On top of that, we were quoted a group rate/price per night of $69.00 and upon exiting the hotel, we were infomred that the price was $89.00/night. Why were we not told this upon our checking into the hotel? This hotel has very friendly front desk staff, but it is definitely over-priced for what we received. The hotel was not cleaned on Sunday, June 27, paper was on the floor on Monday, June 28th .(Remember, we didn't leave until June 29th). The rooms are definitely in need of being refurbished and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

Ok, places like this exist?! Motel a la 1970. Woefully misrepresented on their website. No words. Staff is strangely friendly - makes for unusual and uncomfortable exchanges. Didn't feel safe.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

The manager replied to our comments and offered us a complimentary room the next time we were in the area. We passed thru the next month and decided to give it another shot. Well..surprise, surprise..the room we were given was dirty and the stains in the bathroom , disgusting. There were even food stains on the walls behind the table next to the beds. We informed the front dek of this situation and they were sorry and only wanted to give us 50% off the room. They did eventually comp the room , however we will never stay there again !!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business