“Great location for NASCAR but that's it”

Best Western Brandywine Valley Inn
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Kingston, Canada
“Great location for NASCAR but that's it”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have stayed in many high end and many low end hotels. This lacked the usual upgrades that you expect from a Best Western Plus. Cigarette packs laid on the floor for two days. We are non-smokers.
I found orange peels under the sheets. Was the room even cleaned prior to our arrival or during our stay? Breakfast was lack-lustre. Had it not been the location and free night voucher I would not have stayed here.
We are used to Motel style rooms and also high end Hotels, but this was very disappointing. The entire place needs an upgrade.
The trim on the bathroom lights sat on top of the towels.
Yes, the lady at checking was friendly, but most of the staff sat smoking at the stairwell every time we went by.
Th price was right (free voucher from so many nights we stay away) but that's the only Plus about this place

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This place needs to be looked at by the health department. The odor knocks you over when you walk in the door. It's a musty moldy smell. The rooms smell equally as bad. The bathrooms are scary. A black mold on the ceiling, no water pressure, and yes urine on the walls. There is a half inch gap around the door to let in any four plus legged creatures. Carpets are terrible and remotes didn't work. Don't bother talking to anyone at the front desk because noone has any authority and refer everything to a manager that doesn't seem to exist. The pool closed at 8pm. I didn't have kids with me but I saw several sad faces with bathing suits on staring throuth the fence. I could go on, but you get the point. To top it off they even charged me for a night I cancelled! Noone could help me but the manager that was never found. Paid the bill and will never go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in March and it was much better than we expected from driving through the area. The rooms were very clean and well kept. The breakfast in the morning was plentiful and well stocked. We were pleasantly surprised and would recommend this to anyone staying in the area. It was also a close the local attractions which was nice too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was the best priced hotel I could find within 40 miles of a triathlon I was doing with my boyfriend. We're backpackers and always take the lowest rate we can find. The Best Western exceeded my expectations. Room was extremely clean and had everything we needed for our stay. I'm not sure why so many past travelers have has such bad stays, but the hotel is definitely changed drastically from the things I have read on here. You can tell that they are renovating. New AC, fridge, cable TV, microwave, and coffee maker in my room. It was small, but big enough for me, my boyfriend and our 2 bicycles. It's right next to the highway, but the heavy door made it quiet, and the staff offered to switch me to a room on the backside if I thought the noise would be a problem. They only put us on the front side to begin with so we could have a lower room. But honestly, when I sign up for a hotel with a low rate, I expect something a little cruddy, but this was spotless, had new fixtures, no dirt, new clean carpet. By the way, we watched a couple movies and slept 2 nights and were never bothered by the noise. We're not heavy sleepers, but not light ones either. Staff was amazing & helpful and breakfast offered many different items.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Traveling on business and booked the Best Western Brandywine. BIG MISTAKE. It's a motel. All rooms accessible from the outside. The room smells like corn chips or smelly feet. Take your pick. And it's under the stairs, so I hear everyone coming and going. Can't adjust the heating/cooling. Only choice is fan or no fan. Wireless wasn't working so I called the front desk. They referred me to 3rd party support... I shared my frustration with the service and the smell and they offered to send someone to spray. I declined. 10 min later I got a knock at my door. A large man in a plaid jacket (no uniform) was standing outside. He knocked a couple of times and I got nervous. I called the front desk and they put me on hold! When she came back to the phone (man was still knocking) I asked if she sent someone. She did. I told her the unidentified man frightened me. He did not identify himself and was not wearing a uniform. She did not apologize, just asked if I wanted the room sprayed. I declined again. God only knows what they spray with. Smelly. Scary. #fail. Don't stay here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lisa J
MaryT687, Manager at Best Western Brandywine Valley Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Lisa J,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we used the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 302-543-6155.

Mary J. Taylor