“Finally, good Cajun food in Delaware”
Review of Blue Parrot Bar & Grille - CLOSED

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Since the closing of both Fat Rick's and Bourbon Street Cafe (a long time ago), there hasn't been much to choose from in the area for Cajun. I've been to this restaurant several times and the food quality has been great and the service good. The last time I went, I took my wife who is not a Cajun fan (we had a Groupon that was about to expire), and she liked it. The desserts were out of this world, if I had to rate their restaurant on the desserts alone they woukld have received 5 stars. The location isn't that great because it's in town and parking is very limited, but I would definitely visit again. P.S. - If you like HOT, get their Voodoo Shrimp, best I have ever found.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Blue Parrot is an awesome place. Happy hour has really great drink specials and the patio is superb on a nice day. Every time we go there the staff is very attentive, fun, and professional. My favorite food menu items are the crab bisque (best bisque in Delaware), delta nachos, seafood salad, gumbo, Creole, blackened tilapia, and the banana foster. (I eat here frequently) I suggest making a reservation for a Friday or Saturday night. Live music every weekend & I love open mic night on Monday (very chill). I love this place!

1  Thank USAtraveler1818
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a very delicious dinner this past sat. evening. Arrived around 730 pm and was seated at high table near bar. Waitress was prompt, knowledgeable, and very friendly. We arent into spicey foods and explained that to her. She was very helpful and even asked the chef on one dish for us... Food was delicious!! Both of us were members of the clean plate club!! Dessert was the blonde brownine and it was spectacular as well... Band was setting up as we left so our interest was tweeked about that and waitress e xplained and gave us a schedule. We will be coming back for a sat. evening but also there are specials during the week... Very nice place... and prices were reasonable..
Thanks for making it a great first visit.

1  Thank terri1957
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Dinner 3/23 using a Groupon coupon... thank God! When the draft beer is the highlight of your dinner, well, enough said. This restaurant was not our idea of even an average dining experience. The "Pat O'Brien" Hurrican drink was a funny tasting "Kool Aide"... in all fairness, the Crab Toast appetizer was rather tasty. Jambalaya and Chicken/Shrimp Creole were very disappointing, to say the least... we will scratch this restaurant or rather not even add this one to our list!

1  Thank TimskiTim
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We recently tried the Blue Parrot, and figured that with food, drinks, and music you can't go too far wrong. The menu seems authentic New Orleans and enticing. Unfortunately, the descriptions of the food and the reality are quite different. We started with nachos and wings. The wings are not particularly spicy, but are flavorful, with a nice crispy skin. That was the best part of the meal. The nachos were supposed to have shrimp and crab meat. I could pick out a couple of small lumps of crab, but that was about it. No shrimp in sight, and precious little cheese. What was there was tasty, but not as advertised. The main courses were mostly rice and sausage, regardless of what was ordered. The jambalaya had almost no chicken and no shrimp (making me assume that they just didn't have shrimp that day in the kitchen), and the gumbo had little except sausage in it. The great surprise was that the gumbo had no okra either. In the end, it was just a slightly burnt roux on top of rice and sausage.

The service was very slow, and the waitress told us things were really backed up in the kitchen (amazingly they weren't prepared for a Saturday night crowd). The waitress was very attentive, but wasn't given much to work with.

We won't be going back there. The music and the drinks can't make up for a poor meal.