“HUrricanes :)”

Add it.
Blue Parrot Bar & Grille
Cuisines: American, Bar, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wilmington, Delaware
“HUrricanes :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great drinks, piergoes are fantastic so is the voodoo shrimp and cheesesteak! i've liked everything I've ever eaten there and I've been there lots.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank SubtleSandy

Easton, Maryland, United States
“Far, far better than the reviews here indicate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

A different review website I use sometimes had Blue Parrot at a healthy 4.2 out of 5 stars, so I was very surprised to see its poor reception on TripAdvisor. And I must say, in this case I feel you fellows here have it wrong -- Blue Parrot is an excellent restaurant.

In any case, I was planning to spend an afternoon in Wilmington and decided on the Blue Parrot since I hadn't had this time of cuisine in a while. I really couldn't have been more pleased. Not only was my food good, but it was interestingly presented. My Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak, for instance, had little bits of celery mixed in -- that was an innovative touch. And the jambalaya I shared with my wife was excellent as well. Finally, and most impressively, the desserts were terrific -- the beignets were very good, but the Bananas Foster was otherworldly.

As far as odds and ends go, the waitstaff was friendly (and knowledgeable: always a plus with a gluten-intolerant wife), the outdoor seating pleasant and prices--for lunch at least--were very reasonable. I had no reservations whatsoever, and left very pleased.

• Visited June 2012
Newark, Delaware
“We gave it another shot, and it was excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

It just goes to show, you can have a less than great experience somewhere and that doesn't make them a bad place, just a bad experience, or should I say, less than great.

My wife and I went back to the Blue Parrot a month or so after our first visit. It's close to the house and all in all it wasn't a BAD experience the first time, but it wasn't great either, just average plus. We only dine at what we consider great to excellent restaurants. Anybody can cook, and I personally am great to excellent, so why would I waste my money on sub par dining?

Well, this last trip was great, and the burgers were excellent. My wife swears it's the best and juiciest burger she's ever had. I don't know if I can say that, but I will say, it was so big, I had to take close to half of it home with me. It was VERY good. I was surprised actually. I heated up the remaining half a burger the next day and it was still just as juicy and the bun stayed nice and crunchy.

I think our waiter had a lot to do with the whole experience. His name was Chris. You have to request him if he is on duty. You won't be sorry. I inquired about fried oysters. He stated that they weren't on the menu, but that he could get me an order, stated the price, and off he went to have them made for me.

We had Margarita's this visit and they were more than adequate, not to sweet, and went nicely with our meals. We will be back again. Especially with the warmer weather finally getting here. We sat on the patio again, and I can't imagine sitting elsewhere. All in all a very good meal, good experience, and a great waiter.

• Visited April 2012
Wilmington, Delaware
“Nice place, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

We went to the Blue Parrot with a Groupon from our son for Sunday Brunch. It was a warm, sunny day and we had a wonderful dining experience on the patio. The waitstaff were friendly and the service was great. The food was very good. We are planning a return visit soon.

• Visited April 2012
Newark, Delaware
“The patio and atmosphere are what really make this place.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife surprised me with dinner at The Blue Parrot for my birthday. We like to sit outside whenever we can, so we went right for the porch. The New Orleans scene painted on the wall outside was great. It really added a nice touch. We were just recently in N.O.'s and thought it felt very authentic.

Now for the food and prices. I thought the prices were average for city dining. Nothing outrageous. My wife and I aren't hard to please and pretty much liked most of what we tried. On Tuesday night they have a special, $10.95 for AYCE that includes gumbo, Etouffee, jambalaya, and red beans and rice.

I had the gumbo to start. I'm no professional food critic, but I thought it was the worst gumbo I'd ever eaten anywhere. I lived in Louisiana long enough to know good gumbo. Thankfully our server took it away and suggested I try the jambalaya and red beans and rice. Good call on her part. Those two dishes were fine, and went together very nicely. The portions were more than adequate. My wife had a burger and frie that aside from being a little over done, was better than your average burger. Great flavor, and huge. She couldn't finish it all. The fries were really exceptional. Better than the fries on the boardwalk in OC MD.

We ordered the home made potato chip appetizer to start with. It's advertised with a chipotle dipping sauce that I didn't think seemed like a good pairing. I was wrong. We're potato chip junkies and regularly go to several places that make their own chips, and these were by far the best. The dip was a surprise, as it was actually very good with potato chips.

I was going to say that the drink prices were a bit high, but then again, we very rarely dine in Wilmington. I had forgotten that the drinks are typically a few dollars more in the city. Don't get me wrong, they weren't on par with Bourbon Street inflated prices. I finished off the evening with several dirty martini's. Not the way I usually make them, but I'm no bartender either. Maybe a touch less olive juice and even a bit less vermouth would have been better, but I'm not complaining. I thought they were good enough to order two of them.

They do have a happy hour, but we got there right when it ended. We'll try to catch it the next time we go. We got there right before sunset and it was nice how the city settled down a bit as we were eating. It even changed the atmosphere. It kind of made the mural on the wall come alive a bit more after dark. A few questionable characters on the street when we were leaving, no big deal, just be aware.

I wouldn't say the place is spectacular, but I will give it an average plus, with a great patio, and friendly service.

• Visited March 2012