“Just Okay”
Review of Toscana

Toscana
Reserve with OpenTable
Toscana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #193 of 549 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Delaware Avenue
South Plainfield, New Jersey
“Just Okay”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our first trip to this restaurant and it will be our last. We had lunch and the flavors of the food were lacking pizazz. My partner described his meal as bland. He had the Mozzarella Fritta for $8 as appetizer and the Cipolla for $9 along with a pleasant glass of chianti ( by the glass is $9). He described his Fried mozzarella balls as just oaky and his sandwich as really bland, like something form subway but worse. I had the Polpo alla Griglia for $8. The octopus was okay, nothing worth writing home about and some of the white beans were a bit crunchy. For my meal, I had the barbaitola salad for $10. It was Roasted red and golden beets with red onion, pine nuts, bibb lettuce, and gorgonzola dressing. The beets were tasty but again the salad was bland. I tasted an occasional bit of spice but it was not enough for me. For $50 lunch it was certainly sub par. We will not be returning to try dinner.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank susansing

Wilmington, DE
“Return to an old favorite”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our first trip back to Toscana in over a year and a half. I'm not sure why it took us so long to get back. We visited on a Saturday night around 6:45 pm and I was very surprised how empty it was. I had made reservations but really didn't need them. I guess it was due to summer. Our server was very attentive - except for the lemons we wanted with our water. She had the beet salad for $10 and I had the Casare for $8. Both were good. This was followed by the entrees. I had the Tortellini which were very good although I could have used a couple more; they were $17. She had the Capellini with Shrip for $22 which was also very good. Total bill came to $57 before tip. We'll return again soon.

• Visited August 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor service left more to be desired”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We went to Toscana for Wilmington restaurant week since it is one of our favorites. However, once it took us 15 minutes after we sat down to just get a glass of water, let alone drinks and our order, that set the tone for the night.

Me and my girlfriend ordered off of the restaurant week menu, which actually is probably more than what we would normally spend at that restaurant. I ordered the gazpacho for appetizer, short rib ravioli for the entree and chocolate karma for desert. My girlfriend ordered the calamari for an appetizer, salmon for the entree and chocolate karma for desert.

The calamari we received came to us cold - the plate was hot, but the food clearly had been setting out for a while ready for us, but our server did not bring it to us. We sent it back and was able to get freshly cooked calamari. Thankfully the gazpacho came out correctly. Our entrees were overcooked but because of the problems we had had with our service, the food was hot, so we ate it - The food tasted excellent even though the entrees were slightly overcooked.

We discovered that night we were there there was a large party going on in the party room and thats what appears why there were all of these problems. We overheard the waitress serving a table next to us say to them "I'm not going to be here a lot because we have a party going on." Not exactly something I'd want to here, but at least she was honest with them.

It wasn't our table that was limited to the poor service, the entire main dining area, we saw was just not being attended to and not once did we have a manager come to our table apologizing or offering us anything.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank flyr1710
Wilmington, DE
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Shared a dinner there for my partner's birthday on a quiet Friday evening. As usual, the food and service were excellent. I ordered a specialty cocktail from the menu, but our server informed me they were out of the particular liqueur needed to make it, so they comped me a free drink instead. When dessert was delivered 'Happy Birthday' was written in chocolate drizzle on the plate--such a nice touch, and why this is a great place to go for a special occasion.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank RBfromDE
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Great Food-Great Service”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went to Toscana with some girlfriends and we had a fantastic time. We all commented that our food was some of the best we've ever had. I ordered risotto with truffle oil - fabulous! The service was excellent - attentive but not pushy.

• Visited March 2013