“Best burgers and steak sandwiches in town”
Review of Charcoal Pit - CLOSED

Charcoal Pit
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Cary, North Carolina
“Best burgers and steak sandwiches in town”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've been eating at the Charcoal Pit (Concord Pike location my favorite) all my life (50+ years). Although I have lived out of state for the past 5 years, the Charcoal Pit is mandatory eating for me and my family everytime we go home for a visit. The food is consistently great, as are the prices. My mouth is watering just thinking about this restaurant. You just can't beat the burgers, cheesesteaks and milkshakes.

Please note: There were 3 Charcoal Pits in Wilmington. The one in Pike Creek has been closed for a year or more. The one on KIrkwood Highway is good, too, but the original Concord Pike location is the best! Go for it--you'll love it!

My ratings are for the Concord Pike location which didn't come up in my tripadvisor search.

• Visited February 2013

Claymont, Delaware
“Not the same”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Food and ice cream is always on point. However the tables were dirty or wet. Few tables were actually being used and there was plently of servers to accomandate everyone there. Our server was slow, she never checked in on us for refills, we waited about 20 mins for refill on the second drink. She sat at the bar stool area with other employees chatting about whatever, I even raised my glass she looked directly at me but sat down anyway. I even put my cup at the edge of the table and made eye contact many times only to be ignored until I decided to get up myself and refill my own drink. The employees were all sitting at the ice cream bar area chatting away and not checking in with the customers. I base my tip on promptness and service. unfortunately I had to leave a small tip. The bathrooms needed cleaning and restocking. Outdated decor is to be expected due to the fact it is the original charcoal pit and that is understand able. But service and lack of seeing the waitress just was not a good thing. Our table was wiped down prior to us showing up and it smells like the rag was used alot of times without it being rinsed properly. My silver ware was given to me, my fork had old dried up food on it, I had to wait about 5 minutes to get a new fork. Eat there with caution, check the table and fork and knifes before using it.

• Visited April 2013
Elkton, Maryland
“AN OLD FAVORITE”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

There is not a better place to get a milkshake and a burger. They have great sundaes as well. I have been going there since I was a child and keep coming back!

• Visited April 2013
Newark, Delaware
“Give the kids a thrill!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I am getting a bit old for burgers on a regular basis but a vanilla coke or vanilla shake from the "Pit" is a do not tell my doctor treat, plus my grand kids love it. Feels like you are in a Happy Days rerun.

Visited February 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
“It's what it should be, go and enjoy.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ok, it's been there a while and looks it, but that doesn't mean it needs updated, it's fine. If you go there around dinner time, especially on weekends, it will be crowded, there may be a short line (it moves fast), and since they just fed a few hundred people it's not spotless. It's not dirt dirty, it may be a little disheveled. Service is fine given how busy the waitresses are when I have gone. The burgers are the best I've ever had, bar none. I usually get the large burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, and relish, cooked medium (called the Pit Special). It's messy, get extra napkins, but real good eatin. I've had other things on the menu, all were good, but I keep going back to the burger. The last page on the menu is sundaes. Do not think of them as a dessert, they are a meal in themselves, huge. Really, really big. Read the description carefully, If the atmosphere isn't to your liking, please just go somewhere else, perhaps McDonalds. There are LOTS of us who like it just the way it is. That said, it does get loud so probably not the best place for a romantic first date. Third date, it's fine.

• Visited February 2013