“Give the kids a thrill!”
Review of Charcoal Pit - CLOSED

Charcoal Pit
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I am getting a bit old for burgers on a regular basis but a vanilla coke or vanilla shake from the "Pit" is a do not tell my doctor treat, plus my grand kids love it. Feels like you are in a Happy Days rerun.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ok, it's been there a while and looks it, but that doesn't mean it needs updated, it's fine. If you go there around dinner time, especially on weekends, it will be crowded, there may be a short line (it moves fast), and since they just fed a few hundred people it's not spotless. It's not dirt dirty, it may be a little disheveled. Service is fine given how busy the waitresses are when I have gone. The burgers are the best I've ever had, bar none. I usually get the large burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, and relish, cooked medium (called the Pit Special). It's messy, get extra napkins, but real good eatin. I've had other things on the menu, all were good, but I keep going back to the burger. The last page on the menu is sundaes. Do not think of them as a dessert, they are a meal in themselves, huge. Really, really big. Read the description carefully, If the atmosphere isn't to your liking, please just go somewhere else, perhaps McDonalds. There are LOTS of us who like it just the way it is. That said, it does get loud so probably not the best place for a romantic first date. Third date, it's fine.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Where can you find a malted milkshake any more? And perfect burgers? This place still rocks, and has since when I first started going there 20 years ago. Please don't change, we love ya Charcoal Pit!

Hint: Take a couple of quarters to play some tunes on the tableside jukebox!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Charcoal Pit has been an iconic place sitting on the southbound side of Rte 202 in North Wilmington. The inside while at one time may have been in style, clearly needs to be renovated and the staff needs to be a lot less grumpy. I grew up coming to this Charcoal Pit every week and later to the one that closed in Pike Creek. The food is still the same and as far as I can tell the menu, except for the prices hasn't really changed either. The pit special is the way to go with a nice thick milkshake. If you want chocolate, make sure to specify with chocolate ice cream. For dessert, if you still have any room or forwent the milkshake, should be the hot fudge cake, a brick of vanilla ice cream between 2 sponge cake squares covered in hot fudge and whipped cream. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Skip all the chain restaurants on 202 and head to Charcoal Pit where you will get fast friendly service and delicious food. From their burgers, and steaks to soups and salads, everything is good. I've been coming here for over 35 years. The hot fudge icecream cake is a must- they will even cut it in have for you if you have two kids sharing it that fight like cats and dogs about sharing like my sister and I did when we were little. I've tried pretty much everything on the menu at this point, and I've been sticking to the tuna salad salad which is reallly good. I know- who gets salad at a place called "Charcoal Pit" but it is really tasty, and that way there's no guilt when you order one of their fabulous dessert creations! Most booths have a small jukebox at the table which is always a nice touch. They tend to get very crowded, so try them at off peak times, like during the week or later on a Saturday night. The line always moves fast though, and it is worth the wait.