“Fondue Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 549 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Foulk Road
Description: The Melting Pot offers an extraordinary dining experience that you won't find at any other restaurant. Here, you'll discover all the ingredients to a perfect evening, including a relaxed atmosphere, private tables, attentive service, fine wines & fabulous four-course dinners. No matter what the occasion, from a romantic date to get-togethers with friends, meetings or large groups. The Melting Pot always hits the spot. Make reservations today & come dip into something different.
Delaware
“Fondue Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I know, its a chain, I know its a bit expensive, and if you don't like Fondue you're probably not going to enjoy your dinner. It also takes quite awhile to eat your meal, 2 hours would be a good estimate but that's the selling point for us when we make a reservation. Because of the price we tend to limit the Melting Pot to special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. Our last visit was for our 16th anniversary and we enjoyed every minute of it. Because of the way the food is presented you have time to talk, to share and to enjoy the experience together. We like to get their Big Night Out Specials when they have them, which are limited time menus. Its my understanding that currently that part of the menu is under revision and so they've had the same one for awhile.

Obviously you want to start out with the cheese fondue, the classic style is good as are many of the variants. The cheese is served with little cubes of bread (pay attention when they tell you how to spear those otherwise they will fall off in the cheese!), apple chunks, carrots and some other vegetable choices which I forget because I ignore them. Most of the salads are good, some of my family members rave about the mushroom one but lets be honest you're not there to fill up on salad. We've never done the oil fondue because I just didn't want to bother with hot oil. We like both the normal broth and the mojo broth depending on what entrees we've picked. I've found the staff to be quite understanding when a food intolerance or allergy caused us to ask about substituting or changing one part of the combo entrees. For instance my husband doesn't eat pork and they've happily substituted more chicken or more of something else for it, and one time I couldn't eat the filled pasta because of an ingredient inside. While the combinations are good my husband and I agree the teriyaki steak is the best and we'll probably just get 2 orders of that next time unless the Big Night Out special is something really interesting. You do have to make sure you keep track of how long you cook stuff for to avoid eating undercooked poultry etc. If that is a concern for you stick to the beef or seafood entrees. Whatever you do cut the potatoes they give you into smaller pieces and toss them in the pool the second they arrive. They take forever to cook! The consolation is they're wonderful with the Green Goddess dipping sauce you get. Finding out what item you like best with what dipping sauce is part of the fun.

Dessert, hopefully you've paced yourself and have room. We normally lean towards the dark or milk chocolate with perhaps peanut butter or some sort of nut, but I haven't had a bad chocolate fondue yet.

I know some people complain its not a lot of food for the price you pay, but I'm a pretty hearty eater as is my husband and we've never left in any condition but stuffed and we've also never finished all of our bread or vegetables when dining just the two of us. One of the times we ate with my parents for a celebration we did manage to go through all of the vegetables you dip in the cheese fondue and the waitress happily brought out more.

Just in case you're wondering, you can reserve a table and get just the chocolate fondue. We haven't done it yet, but we've been told repeatedly its possible if we ever want to.

• Visited April 2012

Claymont, Delaware
“Fun place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you are looking for something different, this is the place. Good food and lots of fun for groups!

Wilmington, DE
“Little Different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Melting pot is a little different. I liked it for the difference however I worried if my food was cooked long enough in the broth on the table. What I really liked was the apps and the desserts.

Visited February 2012
Fair Hill, Maryland
“Always a Special Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Love the swiss cheese and brandy cheese fondue, the filet/sirloin/shrimp/chicken combo and a salad. We're all usually too full for the dessert and get it to go !!

Visited April 2012
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Always a special trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our waitress Lauren was fantastic and really made the eveing memorable for my mother and I. I have made it to the Melting Pot at least once a year since the early 90's (not this same location, of course). I enjoy lingering over dinner so if you are looking to eat and get on to something else, the Melting Pot is not for you. If you are looking for a place to really enjoy good company and good food, this is it!

Visited July 2012