“Little gem in Little Italy” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistro Jacques - CLOSED

Bistro Jacques
Cuisines: French, Belgian, European, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Description: A taste of Europe...No passport required
Wilmington DE
“Little gem in Little Italy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a restaurant.com coupon for this place, and made a reservation. It wasn't needed, as there were open tables at 7:45 on a Saturday night. It's a cozy, romantic, dimly lit place, and everyone there made us immediately feel welcome.
We sat down, were given menus, and started to watch as Claire, the sommelier and sometimes wait person, made another table's caesar salad. Couldn't wait to try it. But first, our drinks were taken and specials recited. Everything sounded so good!
We ordered the salad for 2 and our entrees. Hot, fresh bread came out first. The salad, minus anchovies, was every bit as good as it looked. Garlicky, with buttery freshly made croutons in a lemony dressing. My husband ordered the shrimp and pasta, and 8 shrimp came out on a bed of pasta dressed in an olive oil/garlic sauce. I ordered the shrimp fra diavolo on whole wheat pasta, and was pleased with the level of spiciness. I was NOT pleased to see a $3 surcharge on the bill for the whole wheat pasta. I should have been told.
We ordered a glass of limoncello for dessert, and in discussing it with the bartender, found out there is actually a peachcello too, and he very graciously sent over a taste for us (and will DEFINITELY be having that very soon!)
Everyone was charming and friendly and we enjoyed it. The portions were not overwhelming, and it's just a really nice place to go.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank beryl g

Delaware
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We ate at this restaurant before going to a comedy show. Our friends had a coupon, which determined our choice of location. The restaurant has free valet parking, since there is no place to park, except for on the street, which is often full of cars. The restaurant is fairly typical of the Lincoln Street/Little Italy restaurants in the area, a narrow converted house. There is a bar on one side as you come in and a raised eating area behind the main dining area. The menu is very Italian, mostly pasta dishes and veal. I had looked over the previous TA reviews before we went to the restaurant, so was expecting a good dining experience.

The beef house specialties are fairly expensive at close to $30. There is a long list of pasta combo meals, but not much fish, although two of the three daily specials were seafood. We started off with Chopped Salads all around. This was a delicious starter and got the evening off to a good beginning, along with the house Chianti. (We started off with a glass but then ordered a bottle.) It was very acceptable wine. The main courses were not so good. My wife had the halibut special, but substituted the mashed potatoes with asparagus; the fish was good, but the vegetables not so. I went with the house specialty Spaghetti Bolognese, which was disappointing. It was greasy and had a curious flavor. Ok, so that is a particular taste issue.

Service was good up until we left. As we were walking out of the door, the waiter ran after us to say that, since we had used a coupon, that perhaps we had not tipped enough based on what the total bill would have been! I have never experienced this before!? Our friend, who had figured out the bill, explained her calculations, which had included the correct amount for the tip (>20%). The waiter, much chagrined, agreed with her payment and we proceeded to the car. Again, I have never experienced this before.

The valet car service was quick. For a Friday evening, the restaurant was not very full, although there were some people eating at the bar, I am not sure why. Overall, this was not a place we are likely to return to.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Noo12
Wilmington, Delaware
“Just Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Had tickets to see Lyle Lovitt at Grand opera house in Wilm. Stopped at Mona Lisa, from Valle parking to the best wines to the shrimp Linguini. The smile never left our faces, price is right, atmo better, service just great!

• Visited July 2012
Wilmington, Delaware
“Great atmosphere with some rough edges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Mona Lisa has a cozy atmosphere in Little Italy with friendly staff. Our waiter was off to a great start and laid out the specials for us. I ordered the small Chopped Salad (Proscuitto, Sharp Provolone, Olives, etc) that was spectacular $6. A couple of glasses of house (very warm) Chianti modestly portioned were $7 each. My daily special of Filet of Salmon grilled and finished with Hollandaise & Basil was generous and perfectly cooked $24. This included pasta but they were nice enough to grant my request for Broccholi rabe. Due to an admitted error by the waiter, my wife's Veal Francaise was delivered with Chicken instead. Five minutes later, the apologetic server delivered the correct entree with very modest portions and heaping supplies of pasta $17.

After dinner was delivered the waiter was scarce even though there were only two other tables in the house. By the time he came by it was too late for another glass of wine. Dinner was finished. A little disappointed but I will try again.

• Visited May 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Shhhh! Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

First time visiting. Two adults and a 6 year old. We were there early, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. We asked the the waitress recommendations on wine, she had Clair assist us. Great recommendations! We stared with calamari, the best we have had in a very long time, cooked perfectly! We then enjoyed table side Caesar salad, Claire shared with our son the ingredients as she prepared. We really appreciate it when restaurants are comfortable enough to accomodate our sons curiosity. My husband and I commented that this was the best Ceasar salad we have had in over 15 years....highly recommend! We ordered; Filet Dolcett, Sophia Loren and Meat Lasagna. We were all very pleased as we tasted each others! We returned home with leftovers from the last two orders. I cannot wait for lunch tomorrow. Almost full ( I always leave room for dessert)! We ordered; the Italian cookies( good),tiramisu excellent and chocolate peanut butter bomba( large portion for a little guy!). On our way out the hostess gave our son a lollipop...actually a Tootsie Pop, this is now his favorite restaurant.

• Visited April 2012