“Very tasty, affordable meal with what could be a nice setting”
Review of Ubon Thai Cuisine

Ubon Thai Cuisine
Ranked #117 of 563 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I read previous reviews here so decided to take my mother here while home on leave from Alaska. It's a very nice setting inside and the hostess was extremely pleasant, we went during lunchtime so it wasn't too crowded. They were short staffed according to our waiter who was a little overbearing, almost to the point of annoyance, but I guess it could have been the other way around, so really no fault there. We started off with the dancing shrimp appetizer which was very tasty, although learned quickly that all the shrimp you order, you must pull the tail off yourself. My husband and I tried to order some beers off the menu, me a magic hat # 9 and my husband a blue moon. The waiter came back to tell me they were out of magic hat... No worries I said, I'll take a blue moon. Well them he came back with the bad news that they were out of that also. With not many choices left, I took my chance on a troegs wheat beer and my husband on a Sierra Nevada... Success! We placed our orders for shrimp pad Thai, shrimp cashew stir fry, and shrimp ginger stir fry, with level 3 heat. Everything came back according to order and tasted awesome! The level 3 was a bit much as we were told its about as hot as jalapeño, but I would venture to say a level 2 would have been just right. For our beers, the food and a rum and diet coke (6.75 by itself), we paid $60 for the whole thing, not bad compared to Alaska prices! I think I would make the trip out for another lunch, but not to drink... However I did read a review about happy hour specials. I gave the atmosphere an average rating only because the house/trance music was entirely to loud for lunch time, would have been perfect if we had gone to a nightclub

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We went here for lunch on a very cold day and Thai food was so very appropriate. The service here was very attentive and the hostess made sure we knew what items on the menu were safe to order for my preschooler that wouldn't be too spicy. The server even made sure I knew that there were peanuts in the dish, just in case I had any allergies(which I don't, but isn't that great?). Highlights: the amazing Tom Kar coconut lemongrass soup, with fresh veggies, ginger-is awesome. The Ubon beef chips, crispy beef with a side of rice and fresh veg, with a spicy dipping sauce-soooo yummy(remember my aforementioned preschooler? Yeah, he took no prisoners on that one). And the Pad Thai was very tasty, one of the best I've ever had. Downsides: the music was looouuud, and it was that driving beat music one would hear at a club or trendy bar. The wait for the actual meal was a tad long, which we didn't mind because of the company, so better take someone you really like to talk to. Also, they charged $3 a person for tea, which was a cup with a tea bag in it, which we had to reuse if we wanted more. Otherwise, we were happy with our visit and would return if we were in the neighborhood.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My first trip to Ubon's was for happy hour. My wife and I were impressed with the service selection and prices. The happy hour menu was so diverse that we tried one of everything, had a couple of drinks apiece and still walked out spending about $30. That was our dinner for the evening!

We have been back several times for happy hour because it is so close to work and is a nice spot to wind down before making the commute home. Have never been disappointed!

Took a work colleagoue to lunch there this past fall and, not surprisingly, the lunch menu was as equally impressive as the happy hour menu. I tried the chicken pad thai (kicked up a notch) and it was perfect! Congratulations to Wit and his staff for bringing GOOD Thai food into town!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I recently lunched here with work friends, and we had a wonderful meal. The service was attentive and informative without being pushy. We all had healthy and flavorful meals, and the price and location couldn't be beat. We're already planning our next trip!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I took my husband here Friday for lunch. We had a great time from the greeting to the attentive waitress. We sat outside because it was a beautiful day. We are not familiar with Tia food so she took the time to tell us about the dishes we had ordered. I took some tips from others that had been there and got the meatballs and spring rolls. OMG.. They were both very tasty. For our entre we got the pad see ew at a level 3. It was good not too spicy. I can't wait to come back with friends and share this place.