“Price better than PhoNhu Vu, decent food and good customer service”
Review of Pho Cali

Pho Cali
Ranked #168 of 553 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Newark, Delaware
“Price better than PhoNhu Vu, decent food and good customer service”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I have been a regular to both Pho Nhu Vu in Bear and this one. Both are not as good as the one u can have in Philly but if I just compare this two, here is what I observe. Customer service and price is better in Pho Cali because I've been there a few times almost when they close and they still serve me and at least they put on a smile. Plus, the food portion is bigger. Pho Nhu Vu always have this lady waitress seems very annoyed and never seen her smile unless she talks to the co worker. Veggie pho doesn't even come with tofu as they used to. More broccoli or add tofu will cost more but what's the point if I order veggie pho and u give me three broccoli? Even when u order a bigger portion, they only seems to give u bigger bowl with more soup, not more noodle. However, soup base is better in Pho Nhu Vu and place is cleaner.

Portland, Maine
“Horrible restaurant”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The sprouts that came with the pho is not fresh - dry and dirty.
Service is slow and rude.
Lastly, the pho is not good at all! Their broth is horrible. Also their pho is mushy.

Would not come here again.

• Visited May 2013
PA
“Been here twice, not impressed either time.”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The first time I took my Vietnamese family here, we all ordered a variety of items. From Pho to stir fry noodles to grilled pork chop with rice dish - all were pretty average in quality and very lackluster in flavor.

I tried to go back a second time, thinking maybe I just had a bad memory. However, the second time was as I remembered it the first time.

I ordered the spring rolls, which were fine. They were generous with the shrimp and pork. However, they did not use any of the special Vietnamese herbs that I remember growing up. All the vegetables they had were lettuce and bean sprouts. Spring rolls can have amazing flavor and these did not deliver. The peanut sauce, was good however.

I ordered a heaping bowl of pho, which was very tasty! However, I was thirsty halfway through the bowl. Like REALLY thirsty - and then I continued to be thirsty for 2-3 hours after the fact. My Vietnamese mother always warned me that if you are thirsty for a long time afterwards, that the broth itself was not seasoned correctly and they took shortcuts somewhere. Maybe it's just a family myth! But I know when I make my own pho broth, I am not that thirsty afterwards and have had plenty of other pho bowls without being thirsty afterwards either. I was delighted in the very fresh basil they gave me though.

If you are really craving Vietnamese food and you do not want to make it yourself, then this is a fine substitute. Honestly, it benefits from being one of three restaurants offering Vietnamese cuisine in the Wilmington/Newark area. Being from Houston, I have had some really outstanding Vietnamese cuisine. This place really pales in comparison and would be out of business in Houston. But for here, I guess it will do.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank TakeMeWIthYouPlease
Wilmington, Delaware
“Consistently yummy”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We go here routinely and usually get our noodles, rolls maybe stirfry , but I cannot recall any single thing that would would not order again except their banh mi. Great value, love the spicy Hue style noodles.

• Visited August 2013
“Excellence”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

OMG I was talked in to coming here and now I have to go back the food is WONDERFUL well at least the soup(can feed 2 ppl) was I wish they had the bread for the Bon Mi but there's always next time.

• Visited August 2013