“Good Tour to Pass the Time”

Nemours Mansion & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 72 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Owner description: Nemours Estate is open for visitation during the regular season May - mid November. Self guided; accessed by walking or from shuttle. Cameras are permitted. The Estate is CLOSED on Mondays.
NYC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Good Tour to Pass the Time”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Overall, the tour was good. I learned quite a bit about Alfred duPont. What I enjoyed was that each group was small. What I didn't enjoy was there there were LOTS of small groups and we were almost tripping over each other. The guides had to speak softly so not to interfere with the other tour guides, and we had to wait for one group to leave before we can enter another area.

While the gardens were pretty, it's a garden and so I was expecting more of a variety of flowers and such. But they all looked pretty ordinary to me. The grounds were well kept but I guess I just expected more.

The tours are always booked so make sure you buy your tickets online before you get there.

1 Thank RoadTripperNYC

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Interesting tour, great gardens, major flaw”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nemours is no San Simeon, Biltmore, or Breakers. There is no "Grand" ballroom, for example. But it's a fairly interesting mansion, especially the basement infrastructure (at least to us, an MIT alumni group). Alfred I. Dupont designed and even built some of the "nuts and bolts" parts of his own mansion. For its time it was apparently on the technology forefront. However for some reason, the dumbwaiter for delivering meals was manually operated with ropes!
The strictly timed tours are limited, and hence one never felt at all crowded; further, one docent guides only 6 visitors at a time.
The gardens are quite impressive (pictures attached); the Carriage House was closed due to renovation.
There is no cafe or restaurant or (hooray) gift shop inside the estate; there are vending machines at the entrance.
Tour consists of 12-minute film, ~1:30 inside mansion tour ending on the rooftop (but not the best view of the estate), followed by minibus tour of gardens. After that we had the option of returning to the entrance or walking around the gardens to be picked up 3 or 3.5 hours after the tour began. Almost everyone on our bus chose the latter...unfortunately - see below.
Alas, there is one major flaw in this tour. Visitors enter the estate in a minibus through an electronic gate which then closes. You then have no access to a public rest room for 2-3 hours until you exit. We were NOT told this, and some of the older visitors (in our tour group the majority) found it a problem. It is not possible to walk on one's own back to the entrance - that electronic gate again; one must exit via the minibus. This situation put a damper on the day for my wife and others.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Donald E
Wayne, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nemours is worth the trip”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed our tour of Nemours. The house and garden look like something out of Versailles. First you see a film about Alfred I. duPont, then go onto the mini-bus to the mansion where the group is broken up into smaller groups of 6 people each. You never see another group, and the tour guide takes you around and answers questions. Then it's back on the bus for a tour of the gardens, followed by an hour walking around the garden (optional, but included in the price of the house tour). The Garden Walk is another 2-hour walking tour with a guide that is only offered first thing in the morning, and is an extra charge. Make sure you reserve your spots beforehand, especially if you're a group. We weren't all that thrilled with having to pay TicketMaster the extra bucks for the reservation, but that's how they do it there. No other way. All in all it takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but you never feel rushed or crowded. Their "gift shop" could be a little bigger than a bookcase. And children under 12 are not permitted.

2 Thank Betsy07470
Exton, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the unique splendor of this property. After visiting several of the Newport, RI mansions and mansions abroad my expectations are a bit high. Touring Nemours was both beautiful and fascinating. Plan to spend a bit of time there, the tour is extensive.

decatur ga
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“MAGNIFICENT”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

beautiful mansion and well groomed gardens of apparently down to earth dupont heir
and his vivacious third wife.the house is well maintained as it was when lived in.
you are split in small groups for a very intimate experience.you casually tour the house
instead of being herded around like cattle. betsie my guide was excellent.
they drive you around the grounds and you are then given the option of walking
about for 30 minutes.the 2 nice ladies in the visitor center were extremely helpful in
helping me procure a taxi.wish the director wanted a gift shop.