“Good Service, but Request room away from pool”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Albany, NY
“Good Service, but Request room away from pool”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2010

Unlike previous reviewers, I found the service at this hotel to be efficient and friendly. My room was near the pool and had a strong chlorine smell, but as soon as I called to complain, they brought an ionizer in that solved the problem. When I was looking for the stairs, one of the maintenance guys escorted me to them since they were a bit hidden. I had breakfast in the restaurant one morning, and was in and out very quickly. The front desk people were chipper and friendly.

The hotel is close to Amtrak, which was very convenient. The hotel will shuttle you to the station, although I walked. They will also shuttle you to restaurants, etc. in the evening. Although the area does quiet down a lot in the evening and is slightly sketchy, we found a number of good restaurants and cultural venues tucked away within a few blocks of the hotel. The hotel should do a better job of informing staff about these places (or the places should do a better job of informing the hotel staff) since staff didn't have much knowledge of local restaurants and told us nothing was nearby, which we discovered wasn't true at all.

My room was spacious and comfortable. Unlike others, the bathroom didn't seem small, but I don't usually stay at Doubletrees, so I can't compare to others.

Despite my overall positive review, I would only recommend staying at this hotel if they can guarantee you a room away from the pool. My room was on the second floor overlooking the pool area. The window looks out onto the pool, so there is no natural light coming in. Much worse than that, though, was that my room was adjacent to the balcony of the hotel's hospitality suite. If I opened my window, I could literally touch people at a reception on this balcony. There were probably 20 people out there both nights I stayed. They were not at all rowdy, and it was still very loud. I did call the front desk, but was reluctant to do so because this was not a guest room being loud - this was a group that had rented the room for this purpose. Unfortunately, the hotel was full while I was there, so I couldn't move to another room. The noise stopped before midnight, but it was very loud because people were right outside my window - I had to turn up the TV so I couldn't hear individual conversations. Also, I had to get up early each day, and the one good thing about business trips is a few quiet moments away from the pressures of home life, so this problem with noise was disappointing. Again, if you can get a room on another wing of the hotel, I would recommend this hotel. If they ever do major renovations, they should change this set-up. They should not be renting rooms next to an event room. Or they should be at a considerable discount, which I didn't get.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

Check in was great, friendly and personable service. Hotel seemed to be outdated and stale. The hallways seemed to not be attended to as there were plates/cups that were left outside a room nearby for an entire evening. Also there was a random refrigerator just left in the hallway (the entire time I was there), which didn't make much sense.

I had my do not disturb sign on the door only to be barged in on at 9am by the housekeeper who I could hear coming down the hall to begin with. "HOUSEKEEPING, KNOCK KNOCK, HOUSEKEEPING KNOCK KNOCK" on every door until she unfortunately arrived at my door and barged in after ONE knock. She didn't even wait. Then she comes in and I say "I have my do not disturb sign on the door". She nonchalantly says sorry and closes the door. I then check out about an hour later and received no apology only to be asked as I'm walking down the hall "what room did you come out of?" I acted as if I didn't hear her because that was pretty rude in my opinion. First you barge in with a do not disturb sign on the door, act nonchalant about it, then have the nerve to ask me what room I just came out of. This housekeeping department needs to be put back in check.

Check out was undesirable too. What room? Ok thanks. They didn't care about how my stay was. Some kind of structure or competent management seems to be lacking in this hotel. A shame, because Doubletree is a good name.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed here one night while traveling up the east coast and overall, it was a decent place.

Staff: The front desk staff was very helpful when I checked in, offering suggestions and answering all my questions about what was nearby the hotel. The housekeeping staff I met were also friendly and helpful. Also, the cookie I got at check in had just come from the kitchen (a guy walked up with them as I approached the desk) so that was wonderful.

Facilities: The common areas could stand a little updating. The pool area is sort of sterile looking, very stark. The lobby and the common areas are nicely designed but would look a little better freshened and lightened. The room was very nice and comfortable. There was a refrigerator and a coffee maker included, along with free internet access.

Highlights: The fitness room was a nice size and had lots of equipment, including earbuds to use with the television on the treadmill. The location is very convenient if you have business downtown. It’s also not far from the Riverfront area.

Areas for improvement: Freshening the common areas, fastening the mirror on the bathroom door better so it didn’t bang and flap around when you closed the door.

Overall impression: This is a decent place to stay if you have to stay in downtown Wilmington. However, the town sort of rolls up the sidewalks after 5:00 and there is not much open within walking distance during the evening. If you have a car, you can drive to the Riverfront area but otherwise, there isn’t anything to explore in the immediate vicinity. I personally felt the area around the hotel was a little sketchy after dark, because it was kind of deserted. That is not the hotel’s fault, but I like to stay places where there is more hustle and bustle around the hotel.

Nearby transportation: If you come in by train, you’re only a few blocks from the station, but it is uphill. There is a public parking garage attached to the hotel and it’s $15 per night to use it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
lneMaryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The service is excellent and the hotel staff are awsome!!! The location is not good because there is nothing to do near the hotel. The parking fee is $15.00 per car per day! That really sucks! I got a great deal on priceline.com. I paid $50.00 for my room plus the $12.95 fee to priceline.com. Becareful when using priceline. com because they don't tell you about parking fee's and locations. To be safe stay with 3 star hotels or higher so you don't end up staying in a unsafe location.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
fitchburg, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

Myself, my husband and my son just stayed at the King Street Doubletree. We reserved a room for $50 through Priceline. We really wanted to get the other Wilmington Doubletree which received better reviews. But such is life with Priceline.

When we arrived, we parked on the street at a meter (we arrived on Sat) since we were only going to be there an hour before heading out. There are meters all around the hotel and we felt completely safe leaving the car. My father lives blocks from the hotel and said it wouldn't be a problem to leave the car on the street. Parking at the hotel is $15 and was the same distance from our street parking.

Checking in was fine, though the front desk person was distant and did not make eye contact. He was fine otherwise. The room was really clean and the beds were super comfy.

The bathroom was on the small side with the toilet nearly hitting the door. But it was fine otherwise - certainly not a 2 person bathroom.

We took our son to the pool the following morning. Though the sign said open from 6am-10pm, we found it locked at 9:45am. My husband asked the front desk about it. The woman made a phone call to request someone open it and then proceeded to begin talking to someone else. She never told my husband someone would be coming or anything. She just moved on with him standing there. He eventually said "thank you" and just came back to the pool. The service people came to open the pool immediately and these guys were the most friendly of the whole hotel staff. Which was fine - again, we didn't have to interact with them much.

The pool was nice. The ceiling of the pool area were missing some tiles. There was a crane of some sort being stored in the pool area - a little tacky. And there were hotel rooms all around the pool. We wondered who would use these rooms given the pool was so close. Maybe something to think about for a reunion. There were towels at the pool and it was a nice experience for our son.

All and all, we liked the hotel. It was clean and we had a solid sleep. We didn't eat at the restaurant so can't speak to that experience. We recommend for anyone looking for a bargain close to the city and highway.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

I traveled to Wilmington over Christmas weekend for a "sentimental journey." Not surprising, hotel was essentially empty. Immediate impression of staff was blue collar -- not hotel professionals. They spent more time "hanging out" talking than handling guests. Had requested room in location as quiet as possible (light sleeper). While in process of unpacking overheard children outside room using hallway as playground -- what were they thinking? combining family with quiet solo guest across the hall? There was no limitation on possible rooms!
Security person upon check-in said I could tuck my car in at plentiful drive-in area without any problem -- dead activity weekend & no worry. Day after Christmas (a Saturday) I received a call from the desk ordering me to move my auto immediately! I was not dressed & told them so. Response was "Move it or I call the police to tow it!"
Problems were all staff-related which raises the question "Was there any management?"

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank PerapateticTraveler
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2009

Great hotel value. Clean and luxurious. Expensive parking fee was refunded because of a noisy party on our floor. Very convenient location to city and surrounding attractions. Only a block or 2 to Rodney Square and to the Opera house; and only 10 min. to Winterthur estate.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple