“Nice place but don't take a pool room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Monmouth, Oregon
“Nice place but don't take a pool room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've stayed at this Doubletree before but in a room on a higher floor. This room was by the pool and there wass a mechanical noise all the time. Sort of like a white noise. I put up with it but other may not like it. Ask for a room on a higher floor. I also like this hotel because of the bar. nice place to sit and have dinner. All in all very comfortable and plesant stay. Hotel staff is great. I got in Sunday after noon and asked if there were any liquor stors in the area. They offered to drive me to one.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor and away from the pool area
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
St. Augu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is not in the best area. While they are making an effort to update the hotel, the guest elevators were not operational at times throughout the trip. They did make a service (1) elevator available.

Before making reservation, called the hotel to ensure shuttle service to St. Frances Hospital. Hotel staff confirmed. Upon arrival the front desk agent suggested I take the public transit bus as their shuttle was booked solid by a corporate client. After a long conversation, we were able to work out shuttle service. Shuttle service is un-reliable.

It is obvious they are trying to improve the fixtures, carpet, paint, etc. Hopefully the service will get its own makeover.

Room Tip: Room 821 was very quiet. Spacious. Updated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank goldhhonors
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights to attend my brother's wedding. Maybe the hotel has undergone some upgrades because I found the lobby to be pleasantly decorated for the holidays and up-to-date and clean. The best part of our experience was the helpful front desk staff and particularly James. He helped us with 3 separate requests and always had a smile. The maid service left extra towels at our request and prepared our room during the hour we were out before getting ready for the wedding. I really think others need to be careful when reading negative reviews. People don't realize that even a 3-star review is basically a negative review. Was the Doubletree in Wilmington similar to a Ritz Carlton or some classic fancy Parisian hotel? Of course not, but it was everything I expected for the location and price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ThankxgivingTraveler
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

It's just ok! It didn't give me that Hilton flair I'm used to. We requested ahead of time that we wanted a top floor. We were put in the 4th floor of 9. When we went to the room the fridge was completely out of the cuoboard. When we went to move it in ... There was water all over the floor. Needless to say we had to change rooms. We ended up on the 7th floor and the desk clerk was nice enough to warn us they only had rooms by the elevator. The pool area is under constitution but you can still swim. There was oatmeal cookies... Where's the chocolate chip!?!

Was it a horrible stay ... No ... I just expect more from a Hilton property.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Stephanie C
Parkton, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Holy cow! What a mixed up review this is going to be. Loved the location, right across the street from the Grand concert hall. Loved the bedding and how clean our room and bath was. Our dinner was delicious. And, the front desk staff was cordial, although inept.. But, I didn't love the fact that someone else had a keycard and used it to get into our room not 10 minutes after we checked in!!!! Very scary!!!! The desk clerk called us up immediately afterwards trying to make it up to us with a free breakfast voucher, which we certainly appreciated the effort, (but we had already PAID for breakfast during the reservation process !!!!! and the charge was not removed). We were also at the front desk when another party came up to say that when they got to their room, someone else was already in it! .Didn't love the fact that after the concert, our own keycard wouldn't open our room door, and we had to trek back down to the desk to have him key it back in! Didn't love that we waited over an hour to get dinner, when there were only three other parties in the dining room. Didn't love the fact that although we were told parking would be free, it cost us $10 even after validation. One more thing, and this just emphasizes not to make reservations over the Internet. I made the reservation on the website never noticing the AAA discount offer, it wasn't at all obvious. So, when I realized it, I used the customer service link in the confirmation email, and asked if they could please modify the reservation to give me the AAA discount. Their answer was that they couldn't, that I should cancel the one I had made and make another one. Before I did, though, I went back on the hotel site, put in my info claiming the discount, only to find out that now, just 20 minutes after my first reservation was made, that although the room charge was $20 lower, the special breakfast deal was more expensive. Yikes!!!!! I just left my original reservation alone, figuring that I would take it up with the front desk clerk. But when we got there, and they were so inept, I never brought it up. All in all, I would probably stay there again, but, would certainly be on the lookout for all of these mistakes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GrammyJoyce_10
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were at a dinner there and didn't realize that we had lost a shoe (don't ask) until we got home. We called the Hotel several times and they could not have been more helpful! And they found the shoe, too.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John D
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently spent a night at this hotel and it was a miserable experience from check-in to check-out. After refusing to accept the credit card we used to book the room, we were turned away. I was there for a high school reunion so, thankfully, a friend offered to pay for the room. I really wish she hadn't because the room was a nightmare. There were tiny black specks on both beds that looked like dead bugs, there was no free wifi and the temperature of the room was about 60 degrees F with no way of adjusting it. After one sleepless night, we left. Our parking wasn't validated even though there are signs everywhere stating they will validate parking for "all overnight guests". Fine, I was willing to pay the ten bucks just so I didn't have to spend another minute in that place. Imagine my surprise when the parking garage attendant told me he didn't accept cash. We weren't allowed to leave the parking deck until we signed a statement agreeing to pay them $10 when they bill us next week.

I will never stay at another Doubletree/Hilton hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Save yourself the headache and book elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends