DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District
HOTEL DU PONT(Wilmington)
$399
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
All reviewscookiesfront deskdouble treethe shuttle driverfree shuttleopera houseamtrak stationmarket streetdoubletree by hiltonparking garageenjoyed my stayindoor poolhotel staffconvenient locationdowntown wilmingtonharrysylvia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

This is a one night stay type hotel. Staff very sweet and helpful. Hotel needs refurbished the rooms need new carpet "very dirty" walk in your socks :) and pillows are soft like features even if you request firm. If this is the only hotel available I will stay again, but prefer looking for something more in the Hilton standards.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on 1st floor due to swimming pool, fitness center, kitchen for the conference rooms. Walls are thin noise is an issue on this floor.
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have stayed in this property twice; the last time was a year ago. It misses Doubletree standards in nearly every way. Front desk staff is poorly trained. Here's how my most recent check-in went:
Although no one else was at the front desk, it took nearly ten minutes to get keys to my room on the executive level. The room was directly across from the concierge lounge and next to the elevators; the noise was unavoidable. I called down and asked for another room, was told yes, then put on hold...and hold...and hold. I went back down to front desk and was greeted by a second person, who then insisted that the person who checked me in fix the problem, although that person wasn't at the desk. When she finally arrived, I received keys to another room on a different floor, but then told I couldn't have access to the concierge lounge on the executive level, where my reservation had been confirmed. After much wrangling, they provided access. Back up to room to unpack. (I've been at the hotel 30 minutes by this point.) A few minutes after I began unpacking, there was a fire alarm followed by an announcement to evacuate the building, which we did. Waiting in the lobby, we were told it was a false alarm and to return to our rooms. However, the front desk personnel kept asking each other "who has the alarm code?" followed by "not me" and waves of laughter.

That evening and the following day, my keys stopped working (this happened twice).

The room itself was fine. Clean, but needed an upgrade. Old television; small screen. In spite of having five or six lights, it was very dark. In-room coffee maker and mini-frig.

There is a lounge / restaurant. It took 30 minutes to get a drink and nearly an hour to get dinner.

And that concierge lounge on the executive level? Poorly stocked beverages and food; on the second day, nothing had been refilled. And at 7 am, there was still no fresh coffee available.

Minimal fitness room, although it did have good treadmill and eliptical machines (Precor).

No valet parking was available during my visit. Self parking is available in a lot behind the property. Be sure and ask for instructions and how to get back into the hotel; none of this information was offered at check-in.

There are a few other restaurants in the area, but it's not a great walking area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a high number to get away from the elevator.
1  Thank TXRoadWarrior
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed here during my last trip to the US. Enjoyed my stay here..... everything was good except for the presence of large dryer fans on almost all floors, but I gathered that was due to some major leakage in the recent past.

Loved the staff and the service....would love to come back....

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I have stayed at the DT in downtown Wilmington for almost a year on business Monday to Thursday. The hotel is older and updates are apparently on the way, but what makes this hotel are the friendly staff who always do their best to help you. The location is great if you work downtown, and there is a full menu at the bar / restaurant if you cannot / do not want to go out. The pool is (just) big enough to swim in and there is a Happy Hour at the bar from 430-630pm. Coco in the Exec Lounge makes everybody feel welcome and is a great hostess.

Room Tip: Odd room numbers are best (away from King St).
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had a large business group and below are just a couple of incidents that happened during our stay.

1. One of my co-workers went thru 4 rooms before she found one that didn't have soaking wet carpet.
2. Other co-workers had wet carpet around the air conditioner, but just put up with it.
3. One room smelled so bad that it was literally repulsive. They attempted to "deodorize" the room but it did not help.
4. We ordered food in the bar and waited for about 45 minutes just to be told that the item we ordered (Tuna) was no available. We changed our order and then waited 1.5 hours to get our food!
5. My room was not clean. Hair on bathroom floor. Toothpaste spit on frame of mirror in bathroom.

Highlights:
Breakfast buffet is fantastic
Shuttle van drivers are exceptionally polite and accommodating
Beds are really comfy and pillows are awesome!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business