“Postive and different surprise”

Vincente's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Vincente's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 562 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect. We used to eat at their old North Wilmington location a decade ago and stopped because we discovered other places that were more trendy. We remembered the food to be deliciousl They've moved a few times and fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised when we walked into their newer location on Kirkwood highway (once I could look past the seedy strip mall w/ the check-cashing place next door. Yeah, I could not back this minor detail.....) The food was just as good as I remembered, and the staff seemed younger and more fresh. Vincente looked exactly the same too, and kept up with his infamous 'walking menu' concept. Although you could choose entrees from the menu, the main draw of this place is to ask Vincente to design a dinner for you. He asks each and every person who wanted to partake what they liked, (chicken, fish, steak?) He would come up with an entree that had each individual's mouth drop because he was right on. I wanted the eggplant rollatini and let him know I was a vegetarian because the choice on the menu had sausage in it. In three seconds, he came up with exactly what I wanted, and even had the chef bake in chunks of different vegetables so I could get my fiber intake for the evening. He offered no sides for me which was fine, as if he was reading my mind, and the size of my portion was perfect. This man must seriously be psychic or intuitive. The table-side Caesar Salad was the most entertaining part of dinner and is an absolute must. We noticed that Vincente catered his sense of humor to the crowd, and had us figured out within 10 seconds. Watching him make the dressing and crack his jokes was entertaining. The best part was when this old but amazingly young man walked across the room and pitched the balls of parm into the bowl. He missed at the other table he served, and that was even more funny. Everyone at our table loved their meals. Only issue was my one friend's pasta dish was way too spicy. She was embarrassed to send it back and the staff was very kind to her and quickly replaced her dish with something less spicy. At the end of dinner, the chef who was one of Vincente's sons came to our table to check up on us.

If you are looking for a quick dinner, try someplace else. The service was very good, but because of the nature of this restaurant, you do sit for a while, waiting to order. They bring a delicious, complimentary appetizer of flounder and bread with beer cheese to enjoy while waiting for this human menu to come and make your evening. One more warning- when Vincente offers you a side, know you will be charged. My husband was offered a twice-baked potato with his meal and he assumed it was part of the cost. When we received our check, we were charged $4.50 which annoyed us. All in all, knowing what we know, we will return again. You could come here on a date, with family, with friends, for a special occasion....it's good for all options.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Enjoyed Myself!
My wife and I decided to visit Vincente’s on a Friday night after a last minute change of plans. I had seen their big red sign many times before as I drove past at night, so we decided to stop in. The décor is definitely fine dining with cloth table cloths and vintage French-style liquor posters on the walls (these ones were, of course, Italian!). The bar was populated with a number of well-dressed seniors enjoying drinks. We sat in the main dining room at 6pm and had the place to ourselves. You start off with complimentary appetizers before you even see a menu. It consisted of small breaded flounder “triangles” along with a bit of bread slathered with a beer-cheese spread. The menu situation is unique. They have a standard “read” menu with a handful of Italian classics. The main menu is what they call a “walking menu”. Mr. Vincente himself comes to your table and helps you put together your own meal. They claim he has several thousand meal combinations in his head and he can put together just about anything you ask for! My wife had veal medallions with a mushroom-lemon sauce and I had surf and turf: steak-au-poivre with lobster tail and crab meat. The food was top notch! We finished off with traditional Italian cannoli and black coffee. The place is rather pricey, but I feel we got what we paid for, so we left happy.
Kudos to Vincente’s!

1  Thank StephenWilmington_DE
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was our second trip to Vincente's, and it again surpassed our expectation. We were greeted immediately with complimentary appetizers - a wonderful piece of flounder and a toasted roll with a cheese sauce (not pretty but delicious). Even though we didn't ask for the walking menu, Mr. Vincente came over and discussed our orders with us. In fact, Mr. Vincente took the time to visit with each table, making sure his guests had what they needed. He checked on us several times, trying to win over our five year old daughter.
No matter what you order, get the Caesar salad. Mr. Vincente makes it tableside. Sure, it's a bit of a cheesy delivery from a guy in his mid-eighties, but it may be the best Caesar salad we've ever had. I'm not kidding. Get the salad.
Everything, from the kid's pasta and meatball to the chicken dishes to the lobster ravioli was excellently prepared and delicious. The portions were not too large as to make dessert out of the question. The cannoli were fresh and the complimentary cake for my brother's birthday was wonderful. We were unable to decide which of the four desserts, including chocolate mousse and tiramisu, was best.
Service from our waitress was perfect. She was attentive without hovering. By the time we had finished eating, Mr. Vincente was bragging that our daughter had eaten all of her pasta to folks at other tables and his wife, who was also chatting with patrons at the bar. In the end, he won and got a hug out of our daughter.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

VERY nice bar area. Great Food... GREAT service. Friendly owner and staff. Special place! Convenient location!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

First of all the address has changed.
5914 Kirkwood Highway
Wilmington, Delaware 19711
Phone: 302-543-6451

I have been going to this establishment for more than 30 years. It has moved several times but the owner and "Walking Menu" (Vince) is always the same. He remembers me, my wife, where we sat, what we liked and wanted to change. It is expensive. I have never looked at a menu. The real show is the Ceaser Salad and Cafe Diablo both made table side. Then you tell him what you want and he starts to customize the dish as you speak. Take your time and ask for options. Also take lots of money. As I said I only go there for special occasions for business celebrations. I plan on almost $100 per person when all is said and done.

I think it is worth it - hope you have the same experience.