“A nice birthday lunch”

Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill
middletown, de
“A nice birthday lunch”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I couldn't help reading the previous review and wondering, who on earth writes something that long! I've read shorter book reviews in the New York Times. I'm also wondering if we are talking about the same restaurant. I have been there for the muskrat three times and the service was always spot on. I had the same waitress on two of the occasions. The second time she recognized me which I thought was pretty remarkable considering it had been a year. In the old days the decor could be generously termed eclectic. My wife and I had watched the make-over show and were curious as to how it was going. We really liked the new vibe and we had an experience that was totally different from the previous reviewer. Since it was mid-afternoon, there was only one waitress who was also mixing the drinks. She didn't know what a Tom Collins was so she whipped out her I-Phone, got the recipe and within a short time had a very good drink in front of me along with my wife's wine. She then answered questions about the menu, explained that there had been some changes since the show and made recommendations. I had the reuben with fries and my wife had a grilled chicken salad. We both enjoyed our meals which arrived promptly. I had a cherry pie a la mode with dessert. When we were finished, the bill and a box for my wife's left-overs arrived right away and we left feeling we'd like to come back for breakfast or a dinner

• Visited June 2013
7 Thank Charles C

“Restaurant Impossible helped the decor. Not the food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We tried this again about a month after Restaurant Impossible did their revamp. First impression of the inside was great! It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do for a place!

My husband had his favorite Pat's special. But when it came it had French toast when the menu said pancakes. We were on a tight schedule so he just ate that. He said the French toast was tasty and the egg was well seasoned but had a shell in it. Sausage was ok but not the best. He also had to ask 3 times to have his coffee refilled.

I got the creamed beef over toast and asked for my home fries to be well done. The beef gravy was good. The potatoes were well seasoned, but not cooked through, much less well done. Most of them were left on my plate.

But I guess we were lucky. The family next to us who were seated when we got there don't even have their food yet an hour later when we left. They were getting ready to walk out.

We probably won't be back for a while.

• Visited April 2013
9 Thank Dmcintosh24
West Long Branch, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,362 helpful votes
“Muskrat Thursday”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

On Thursdays the Wagon Wheel has muskrat. Of course, my husband had to try it, so off we went, along with two friends, one of whom grew up eating muskrat and could not wait to have it again. The muskrat meal was delicious, according to both eaters. It was a full muskrat, parboiled then fried, and came with fried onions, fried potatoes, corn bread, and stewed tomatoes. I tried it and was glad I stuck with my dinner choice, salisbury steak.

The breakfast selection is huge and the other person with us had the hungry woman breakfast, which came with a plate sized pancake (with a smiley face baked in) bacon, hash browns, bangers, and eggs. Breakfast is served all the time.

Our waitress was very friendly, and the restaurant was cozy. The restaurant had walls filled with pictures of Smyrna and the surrounding areas from the "old days", which were lots of fun to look at. Would like to come again for the large breakfast choices.

• Visited January 2013
8 Thank MiouMiou
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We've only been here for breakfast, but we have been here quite a few times. The chipped beef gravy is good, as are the omelettes.

It's a favorite of ours around here for breakfast!

3 Thank Dmcintosh24
maryland
“The Greatest Place to visit in smyrna”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

we eat at the wheel every time we pass through smyrna.the food is great and the staff is very pleasant..its very warm and inviting..the little girl names sheila is the best waitress there ask for her..shes wonderful with the kids and always smiling.try there chip beef on buscuit or toast its amazing! this is defintiley the place to go.Enjoy!

2 Thank joeslove_8