World Famous Gopher Hole Museum
Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Worth a detour, worth the entrance fee.

We visited Alberta this summer and did a big loop around central AB. This may be my favourite stop... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
JJCornick
Toronto, Canada
The thing I keep telling people about ...

Reviewed August 25, 2019
NancyB38
Toronto, Canada

All reviews gopher hole gift shop one of a kind ground squirrels entry fee attention to detail unique things long time all sorts worth the trip red deer off the beaten track stuffed animals handmade crafts the main highway my mother museum
Selected filters
Reviewed August 25, 2019

When I heard such a museum existed, we definitely had to plan our trip to stop by. It costs $2.00, it's just a room, but we had a great time looking at the dioramas, taking pictures of the dioramas, and imagining new dioramas (gophers in space!). We also enjoyed reading the letters from around the world either condemning or praising the museum. Though we saw many beautiful things on our trip, this is the place I keep showing pictures of to all my friends.

Reviewed July 23, 2019

We had two boy (7 &9) on our holiday. We were staying in Red Deer and looking for unique things to do with the boys. With a google search of unique places in central Alberta, up popped the museum. I had seen a TV show that had featured this museum and didn't realise it was a real thing. So I figured it was just the thing for us to do on a rainy day where we couldn't do some of the fun outdoor stuff. We surprised the boys with the quick little side trip and they thought it was pretty neat. I think my mother and I were more interested then the boys. haha. They also have a cute little gift shop to get some one of a kind crafts.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed July 5, 2019 via mobile

Not far of the main highway and the side road was still 100 kph and very quiet. The museum was much smaller than we expected but it was still a lot of fun. The kids loved looking at all the displays and the cute outfits the gophers were wearing. It was raining so we didn't do anything outside so it was a quick twenty minute visit at most. Very unique place.

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank Sheridan M
Reviewed July 2, 2019

This small "museum" tells the story of the area history using dioramas uniquely populated with the local characters from the "GoFur" family. It is cheap, admissionis only $2 per person. It will take you a half hour to see everything. You will leave with an experience unlike any other, anywhere. If you are close by I cannot recommend a stop here enough.

Reviewed June 5, 2019 via mobile

We drove 2 hours out of our way to visit this great little place. $2 entry fee was a bargain. Have been waiting a long time to visit and today was the day. Did not disappoint. Bunty, the very knowledgeable museum guide, gave us some background on the gophers and pointed out the more unique gophers. The dioramas were amazing and very detailed. A must visit! Loved this place. There was also a map that had hundreds, if not thousands of pins of the countries people had visited from.