“I don't know about the fish, but the staff stinks!”

Off The Hook Gourmet Fish N Chips
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Hamilton, Canada
“I don't know about the fish, but the staff stinks!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I also purchased a Wagjag coupon...unfortunately was not able to use it. When my husband & I went on a Thursday evening at approximately 6:30pm we found the restaurant dark and deserted...except for a police officer who was behind the till!! When my husband opened the door the officer said he was looking for some contact info for the owners since they'd had a call to report the restaurant not open but the door unlocked.
When I called the following day to find out if the restaurant had possibly closed permanently I was met with the rudest individual I've encountered in quite some time. I mentioned that we'd been there the previous night and what we'd encountered. He told me that they'd had a break-in and that it was a circumstance beyond their control. If I actually believed that story I would have felt some sympathy, unfortunately I don't believe it. If there had been a break-in I would have expected the owners to be there with the police, not a random police officer looking for contact info when the restaurant should have been open (according to their hand written hours on the door). When I asked if the Wagjag coupon would be valid into next week the surly individual actually said "No, since it was a circumstance beyond our control. I'm sorry I didn't call you personally to let you know"!!!!!
My understanding of a business is to accumulate and retain clients, especially if you are running a promotion such as a Wagjag coupon. With the attitude of this restaurant and/or it's staff, I will not only never try this restaurant once, I'll be sure to pass along my negative experience so more people will be spared the displeasure of visiting this poor excuse for a dining establishment.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank ajc248

Stoney Creek, Canada
“never”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

just by reading the above reviews let owners know we have never been nor will we ever try it.
the reviews are good enough to keep us away.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank BOBL67150
St. Catharines, Canada
“The Gluten Free Options are Great”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was my third visit to this restaurant. I loved the gluten free fish and chips. There was almost too much for me to eat. My husband had a regular meal and he said he was so full when he finished.
I would drive the 35 minute drive more often if I had time.
We will go back for sure.
About the service, yes friendliness is important. Sometimes I return to a place because of the staff more than the food. It is important to welcome people and make the customer feel they are not a bother.
Have a great day.

1 Thank heavenlygal
Hamilton, Canada
“slow and unfriendly”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I purchased three WagJag coupons to use at this restaurant , as we liked the fact that they offered "gluten free" choices which was of interest to me . So off we went to try the new fish and chip place in town.

We arrived at 4.50pm on a Tuesday , the place was empty and the music was rather loud , it's a very bare space with only one item of a nautical theme hanging on the walls . I was at this location a couple of years ago when it was a breakfast place . You can see they have spent the minimum to get this space ready . It did look clean .

We were "greeted" by a sullen teenager who did not want to be a waiter and never will be one . He gave us menus to look over , but never asked if we wanted a drink at that time . His manner was very abrupt and not friendly at all . After about ten minutes or so he came back to take our order . So my wife ordered the halibut and chips and I ordered the haddock and chips (gluten free) no iced tea available so we opted for water . When we got the water it was exactly a glass of water , no ice , no lemon , and no straws . My wife asked for some ice and a straw and this was delivered to her.

About twenty minutes passed and he showed up with our meals , we noticed right away that both pieces of fish looked the same , so my wife said to the " waiter," that she had ordered halibut and was this halibut and he said "yes both of them.... " and then stopped and I said is my meal gluten free haddock and he said "yes" and my wife asked again if hers was halibut and he said yes.

We think they were both haddock . The meal was OK , it was a small portion,the piece of fish was tiny, and the chips were very good.The creamy slaw was good also and I didn't care for the dipping sauce . My wife's was pretty much the same . We finished the meal and we were both still hungry . My meal was priced at $9.00 and my wife's was $3.00 more . I would rather have paid more money and got the whole fish to my self . There seems to be a trend nowadays to give tiny meals to people and call the place a bistro or some thing fancy . This was fish and chips , you should never be leaving hungry .

So we finished our meal and had to wait another twenty minutes for the bill to be brought to us . He had charged for one halibut and chips and one haddock and chips and then taken off the haddock and added another halibut , so we called him over and pointed out his error . He rudely grabbed the bill from my hand and stomped off . He was back a few minutes later with another bill and this one was correct . At no time did he offer any pleasantries or show any sign that he had any manners .

To me the whole idea of WagJag is to get people into establishments that they normally wouldn't know about , I get a break on the price and maybe I'll come back again and I might tell others if I liked it . So this is a chance for a restaurant to make an impression , because normally we wouldn't drive a half an hour for a fish and chip place. I didn't want all the "bells and whistles" I just wanted some one pleasant to serve us in a timely manner and that we shouldn't leave hungry . The Off The Hook management should seriously look into replacing this person and maybe putting him in the kitchen , because if it continues like this , it won't last much longer.

My Wife and I will not be going back to use the other two Wag Jags , we will just take a loss on them and mark it up to experience.So , because of the unpleasant experience that we had at this place,I would not recommend it to anyone .

2 Thank Robert L
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing, won't go back”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The service was just horrible. I was with a group of five, and we all got our food at different times. It was a 2 hour ordeal... it shouldn't take that long to make fish and chips. I really wish I could recommend this restaurant because the gluten free options are great, and the food wasn't too bad. But seriously, don't waste your time. Such a shame :(

1 Thank Cheryl Q