Review of 212A Laurel St

Sun Room - 212A Laurel St
Porch - 212A Laurel St
Porch - 212A Laurel St
YARD - 212A Laurel St
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

retirerme...
Maryland Line, Maryland
“Hurtful”
Reviewed April 8, 2017 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

I have wanted to write a review now for over a year but was hesitant to do so given the nature of what occurred. I want to preface my comments to say that Mann & Sons have always been completely professional and a joy to do business with. My husband and rented the house as a family summer vacation for my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. We enjoyed the house and its location for the past two years. We met the owner who appeared on the grounds on numerous occasions. At the time, we thought nothing about it and we were always polite and said our hellos. In 2016, the third year we rented the house the owner was there every day. It was as if she suddenly did not trust us and wanted to supervise our stay. We were gone much of time during the day, to the beach and other activities, but we always ran into her coming or going. One day my five-year-old granddaughter was watering the pretty flowers under my supervision. She apparently stepped on a marigold plant and broke one of the stems. The owner knocked on the door and before my husband could answer she opened the door and struck her head in asking for me. I went outside with her and she pointed to the broken marigold plant and told me not to use the hose again while we were here. I must say this was extremely uncomfortable. We had rented the house for two years previously and always left it extremely clean. In fact, on the third year we rented we ended up having to clean the refrigerator before we could place food in it because it had not been cleaned after the previous renters. I have been grappling with what happened for a long time now. I can only come up with the conclusion that we were people of “color” and the owner felt we were not good enough to rent her place and that we required monitoring. In fact, on that same trip she told me that the next renters after us were a couple that had stayed there previously and were now coming to look for a house to buy at Rehoboth. She said they had real money, “not like you, you know”. She knew nothing about my family’s background. My son-in -law is a Doctor, my daughter is a speech therapist. They have homes both in Maryland and in Florida. My brother who came to visit for a day, is a CEO of a major corporation. I myself, before I retired was a Vice President and Director of a Maryland corporation. I guess it would be hard for her to expect this since she appeared to judge us from the color of our skins. The whole experience was hurtful and disappointing and I just didn’t feel I could remain silent. PS: I did not ask for a refund, I should have.

Your age range 65+
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Apr 15, 2017
Mann & Sons regrets that you had an uncomfortable experience and wish you had brought to our immediate attention. The property owner visits the property quite frequently during the season, regardless of occupancy, as she maintains the grounds herself. As for the condition of the refrigerator, if you should encounter a similar condition in a future rental, report it immediately and the rental agency should address it.

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing