“Adequate Hotel with Good Beach Access” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Breakers Hotel & Suites

The Breakers Hotel & Suites
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Columbia, Maryland
“Adequate Hotel with Good Beach Access”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

Our family of four stayed at the Breakers over the July 4th weekend. The hotel room was small, but adequate for our needs as we did not spend much time in the room. Overall the room was a little dated and could stand new mattresses and pillows. The bathroom was very small with little countertop. The free breakfast was not that great with prepackaged pastries, but there are lots of great places to eat in Rehobeth so this was not a big deal. The hotel staff was very nice and helpful with directions.

We enjoyed walking to the beach each day, which worked out ok for our teenage boys. If you had small children, you might want to find a closer hotel. It was great to be able to walk down to the beach to watch the fireworks on the Fourth and not deal with the traffic.

Overall, I would stay there again in a pinch, but there are better hotels in Rehobeth for the same money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Baltimore, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

I spent labor day weekend 2008 here and had the worst experience of my life (and I frequently stay in hotels as a result of traveling with my job). I was given a "pet friendly" room when I had no pet and my room was infested with fleas. I suffered over 35 bites on my legs as well as permanent scarring as a result of this. The hotel staff was rude, did not assist with the problem and even had the nerve to blame me for the infestation. I had to shorten my stay at the hotel as a result and when I attempted to collect a refund for the nights I did not stay in the hotel, I was met with even more rudeness. I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in order to receive a full refund for my stay there.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

The hotel location is convenient, and it has all the amenitiies of a beach hotel. However, it could use some improvements. Bed spreads and blankets are 100% polyester, towels and linnens are clean, but they have seen better days. I did not eat the continetal breakfast, considering that there are so many good places to eat brekfast within a 5 minutes walk. I have stayed there 3 times, because it is the th default hotel. I think I am ready for an upgrade to somthing a bit more upscale.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

well, i am used to staying right on the beach but this was a last min trip with my wife and kids and close family, of couse i new it was not on the beach so that is not a complaint. being our first time there we took what we could find.. first surprise was when i was scolded for asking when i could park in the parking lot. once i got over that we head to our room. the rooms are outdated and need updating for what they charge. they were not dirty but sandy, and damp almost like it had rained inside the room. we had not even been to the beach yet and everything was all sand in our room. the rooms were dark and cramped i thought i had my sunglasses on all the time. next id have to say the worst part was the fact that if you wanted to workout in there so called gym, guess again,,,every machine that they had was broke,,i was amazed that they still left the door open to get in. well after the gym disappointment i figured id at least go in the indoor pool and swim laps,,it would have been safer and cleaner to just jump in the toilet in our room. unbelievable how dirty the whole area was and the temperature the indoor pool must have been 105 degrees with no ventilation, but not the water, that was cold and cloudy . this was not just for one day either, the workout room and pool had the same conditions for 4 days, broke and dirty. do not know but im pretty sure the stuff is still broke. i d have to say if you are going to stay at this beach, there is not much to chose from as far as hotels, i would leave this hotel as a last choice of either sleeping in my car for a few days or staying there. if my car had a shower id rate it a 5 star compared to this place. but once again it was last minute and nothing else was available

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2008

First of all, let me say we love Rehoboth and stay there multiple times a year. We really like several hotels, but also like to try new places. The breakers is a place that we stayed VERY often when my wife and I were first dating. it was cheap, clean, and in a nice locations. The sands hotel took it over a few years ago and it is still nice, but less cheap, so we stay there less often. there is a charming little duck pond across the street and the hotel is a short walk from all that rehoboth has to offer. Get some Maryland crab soup at Arenas down the road.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

It's a little dated and a little tired, but it's clean and convenient. And they allow you to bring a small dog for a $25 surcharge - so considering everything, it's reasonable.

We had a first floor room overlooking a park like setting - a pleasant balcony with two rusty chairs - just right for a cocktail and cigar.

Our neighbors - an animated, perforated, illustrated, extended multi-generational tribe from PA - congregated in their extensive collection of lawn chairs and pick up trucks tailgating in the concrete parking lot - so as not to loose that buzz running back and forth to the cooler for another Natty Light. Oh, wait a minute, they had the coolers in the parking lot too. They were out there drinking when we left for breakfast and still going at it when we went to bed. Now that's something you don't get at just any hotel!

The forty--something mom was memorable in a pair of short quite tight "Pink" shorts and a black lacy braziere, a cold beer in one hand and a Marlboro in the other. Wow - now that's something else you don't see at just any hotel! Absolutely unforgettable.

So, maybe it's the price point or maybe it's endemic in Rehoboth Beach (tho I doubt it) or maybe it was just our luck.

I'll stay there again - If I can't find another place that will let us bring our dog.

• Liked — They let us keep our dog with us.
  • Disliked — Our really really really really skanky next door neighbors. Hic!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Queens, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

We planned the trip out of the blue, and checked with several hotels but could only find vacancy in this hotel. We wanted a king bed room but they only had a two double beds, which was fine. It was our first time in Rehoboth and we absolutely loved this town. The hotel was clean, efficient and very close to everything. By the way, since we are a gay couple we couldn't have asked for a better place, the gay bars, clubs, and restaurants are down the block and we felt very safe and comfortable. I also have to mention that the staff at the Breakers were very polite and helpful.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — No pool, no internet access
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank OrNYC