“dog-friendly translates to people-friendly”
Review of Canalside Inn

Canalside Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Rehoboth Beach B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“dog-friendly translates to people-friendly”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This small B&B is a gem. The staff are cool, attentive people who just happen to know that people who dogs like to take them along on trips. Also, rooms are spacious so dogs don't feel that they're in the way all the time. Bikes & beach chairs are at your disposal. There is also a dog-friendly stretch of beach about 10 blocks away. There's a private, tiny pool and jaccuzi, perfect for winding down after a hot day on the sand & in the waves.

Room Tip: room in the back are quieter and there's a side staircase, so you're not always trooping thr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First off... we get to the hotel which my girlfriends and I had booked months in advanced. We told them the number of people prior to the vacation. Once we arrived, they were very rude and said we had "an extra person", which we did not. He said we then were not allowed to eat the "free" continental breakfast that appears on their website.

We come back from a long day at the beach. The room WAS NOT cleaned or even touched by the maid. I went to ask them about it. The man said " I told you that you have to put a sign out for your room to be cleaned " (he did not)....Then he proceeded to say " Well, you guys were to busy running your [--] mouths to hear me"

I told him, I would "run my [--] mouth on trip advisor".

He called me the next day to apologize but it was very back handed and rude, he told me I could eat the "free" continental breakfast. Ummm.. thanks buddy. I don't want your stale muffins anyway.

His partner was very embarrassed by his unprofessional attitude. I am reporting him to better business's

DO NOT STAY HERE. THIS MAN IS HORRIBLE. He should not be in the tourism business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank marisaJ_12
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to stay at Canalside Inn next week! Initially, when we booked the four days I was told that I was going to have to lose the money as I am active-duty military and as it turned out would be on mission. I called the establishment and tried to get out of the dates but was told several times that I would be unable to get a refund as I had purchased the best rate. I was also told that the owner Steve, would call me to discuss the situation, of which he never did. This was on May 8th. I then worked it out with my leadership to be able to take leave so my husband and I were looking forward to the trip.

Just yesterday we happened to notice as we were looking at our American Express statement that without contacting us they decided to refund our stay. I immediately contacted them and ended up speaking to Steve the owner. I was shocked at the way he treated me. He told me that he was thumbing through old papers and found some paperwork that said they had canceled our room and realized we hadn't been credited the money for the rooms. He said that the note said I had been deployed, of which I never said, and he thought he had better cancel our stay. He canceled it without contacting us at all, without any communication!

We would have driven there and had no where to stay! He then made no attempt to help us find another place. He did however inform me that they were sold out and there was nothing he could do. He said "Sorry, I don't know what to tell you." I asked him at the very least can you find us a comparable place to stay, one in cost and comfort. He said "yes I can, I will call you back in five minutes." He did call back with a place that cost twice as much and scored 2 stars on both yelp and trip advisor...I think not. Our friends who frequent Rehoboth told us the place is a dump.

Needless to say, Steve, you need to take a class on customer service. Not only did we lose our room and you lose our respect but he also lost our friends business as they called and canceled their room as well. All of us assume that he just wanted to make more money by canceling our "Best rate" and reselling at full price. Steve, I hope you are happy that you made a little extra money and in the process lost several future customers. You are the epitome of the lowest of the low.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Tsingergirl
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

What I loved: it's pet friendly! And upscale pet friendly! My favorite combination.we booked a canal side King room on the first floor next to reception and the room was lovely. Hardwood floors which are so much cleaner than carpet. The bathroom was beachy, large and well appointed with thoughtful black washcloths for removing makeup. Such a smart idea that I replaced my white ones at home with black. The room opens to a foyers with chair and closet, and provides mini blinds to add privacy from parking spaces in front. You can park right in front of your room and enter from the outside which is great when traveling with dogs. There is a small front porch and a,ole room inside to set up the dogs portable kennels which they sleep in at night or which we can zip them up in if we go to dinner. They are more relaxed when confined in their "den" especially when in a strange place and we don't worry that they'll get into something. Good peace of mind. The kennels both fit under the desk at the foot of the bed. The room included a kitchenette with sink, fridge and coffee maker. It is located in a quiet neighborhood, a few blocks walk into the beginning of town and probably 15-20 min walk to the beach, depending on how fast you walk. Great walking places for the dogs too. Breakfast is ok. I've been spoiled by the European Hotels who offer lavish breakfast buffets with everything from pancakes to omelets so it was quite a let down to find a bowl of pre-packaged muffins and some bagels. Plan on having breakfast or brunch at one of the great restaurants in town and enjoy the inn for what it provides. An upscale, clean, contemporary place in a great town near the beach that you can bring your well behaved dog to. I always appreciate nice, pet friendly places and this tops them all.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal side king.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaE
Burke, VA
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great location. Beautifully decorated and clean. Breakfast was good--if you like carbs. Small but nice pool, also a hot tub in rear. Outdoor shower available on side. Beach chairs and bikes available for use. Pet-friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AgostinoABurke_VA
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights, 4 days over a long-weekend. The inn is so quiet and relaxing. The rooms upstairs are a little small but serve the purpose well. The deck has padded chairs and adirondack chairs to sit on to relax....the canal doesn't usually get many boats but a few do pass quietly through.
Breakfast is bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, cereal and the yummiest coffee!!!!
The pet policy is awesome---the Inn owners have pets too. There's even a kitty cat at the inn.
This place is top-notch. Highly recommended! ;-)

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank CheffieDD
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night, very cute, clean b&b. they were willing to let my dog stay in a non pet room( my dog does not shed), very nice of them. Room was clean and nicely decorated with new tv, fridge and coffee maker. Breakfast in the morning was awesome, delicious muffins, bagels, orange juice, coffee and much more... I would definitely stay there again and reccomend it to everyone.

• Stayed March 2013