“Exposing a Secret?”

Summer Place Hotel
Washington, DC
“Exposing a Secret?”
Reviewed July 27, 2006

This place is a gem! The room was everything I need for a stay at the beach. It was small but very functional, including a comfortable, clean bed, closet space and dresser, private bathroom with a shower, and a dorm refrigerator. It was quiet and secure. We were given a parking tag for the duration of our stay. Best of all, it was just 1 block to the beach and the boardwalk. I hope to return to the Summer Place Hotel often - it's a great value for the money!

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Cindy57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
East Coast
Reviewed July 26, 2006

We were looking for a last minute place to stay and didn't have a lot of money to spend. I'd read the reviews and was expecting one of those sort of old mildewy beach motels, and that's exactly what this is.

The location is great, only a couple of blocks from the beach, walking distance to shops/restaurants. Parking was an issue - it took forever to find a place we could leave our car for a couple of days.

The room wasn't filthy, but it wasn't clean either. It was dingy - some white paint would have worked wonders. I felt the instructions to turn off the air conditioning when leaving the room was tacky considering it was 95 degrees and we were paying $155/night.

The internet situation: they may as well not offer it. If anyone else in the building is using it, you have to wait. We ended up going around the block to an internet cafe instead.

The biggest problem I had was the manager's lack of care. I badly injured my ankle on the front steps as we were checking in, and he didn't even ask if I was alright. An offer of a bag of ice would have been much appreciated, but he didn't seem to care a bit.

I wouldn't stay there again - with a little planning, I could have found something a bit better. I went into it not expecting much, as I'd read the reviews here, but walking past the Boardwalk Hotel on my way back from the beach reminded me that you get what you pay for.

• Liked — Location - only a 3 minute walk from the beach
  • Disliked — Run down and not very clean rooms; disinterested staff
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank nomadgirl1

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Washington, D.C.
Reviewed July 23, 2006

This place is a nightmare. I agree with the reviewer who wrote in noting that the only reviews of this hotel that gave it 5 stars are all written in the same format. They are totally misleading!

This place is truly unclean. We checked in with our four year old and were shown a room that was fithy. It had ants and cockroaches. The toilet was filthy and had not been flushed. The bed was unmade and dirty -- I would never have touched it.

We walked out and tried to obtain a reversal on our credit card but the property fought it. Beware of this place at all costs. It is truly to most disgusting property I have seen in my entire life.

Stayed July 2006
5 Thank Aaron_and_Chris
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I read the ghastly reviews this place got and signed up anyways. Why?

It caught my eye was that my parents rent a house down the street from there (at about $3k per week) and when you think about weekly rentals, you're going to get a little musty, a little tacky and a much more worn-in feel to them than your average national chain hotel. My expectations were low so I was not dissappointed. Nothing was "dirty" but holy cow we had a small room!

It is a pain to find a place for your car (free parking only on certain blocks), but you can leave it parked all week and walk to the boardwalk, restaurants, liquor store... The next cheapest places online are miles out on route 1 by the outlets.

EIGHTY BUCKS A NIGHT!!!! You could do a lot worse.

• Liked — Price and location cannot be beat
  • Disliked — Small room, small TV, no pool
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JanetAnnRyan
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 16, 2006

NEVER EVER stay at this "hotel." It is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. We were basically shown a nasty bedroom to stay in where the owner lazily made his own bed and then expected us to stay for the night. There was urine all over the toilet seat, hair...very very dirty. This "hotel" should not even be allowed to operate. We walked in, walked out, and the owner refused to give us our money back. Please don't make the same mistake we did!

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank Sarah S
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

All i can say is i blame myself, if should have done more research, if so i would have stayed away from this place. Its very dirty, small, and loud. the only positives are the location and of course the price, but unless you are in high school or possibly college, an upgrade would be recommended.

Also of note is the 4 'tourists' who gave a 5 star review to this hotel all amazingly write in the exact same style. Someone needs to take the computer away from the owner to keep people from being tricked into going here.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 21, 2006

Walked in....wanted to walk out....right to the dollar store for cleaning supplies, rugs, rubber gloves (for cleaning purposes only), and BLEACH! Between the duck-taped airconditioner, dirty indoor-outdoor carpet, filthy stove and fridg., it was a nightmare! Stayed the duration but I know that if I need to get my daughter to behave, I only have to threaten to take her back to Summer House for a "vacation". Please, whatever you do....Don't go near!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed May 2005