New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great Value,Great Location !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Summer Place Hotel

Summer Place Hotel
Owings Mills, Maryland
“Great Value,Great Location !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

First of all I want to say that the poor press is unwarranted!!!! A Summer Place is a quaint throw back to an earlier era!! The manager is just the same. Very kind and affable! He greeted my 6 yr old son and I upon arrival from Owings Mills MD with a gentiel demeanor and made us feel at home. (treated my little boy to a candy!)The accomadations were very tidy and clean. We had a microwave,flatscreen,refigerator, air and alarm clock in our room; though small. It was what my budget allowed!! And we were pleased. The KILLER was the location to the boardwalk!!!! I could NOT believe how close we were!!! That did it for me! We only stayed for 1 night, Aug.22 ;however,my son and I will return next year for our annual beach vacation. Next time I will get the small apt and stay the whole 3 days there(instead of with friends). My car was safely parked under my room window;it was just $5! What else could I want?! This is a great place for the basics at the beach,simply and nicely done!! Two thumbs up for the manager and staff!! See you next summer!!! Arvis Taylor-Redding, Owings Mills, MD

Room Tip: My son liked a room with a view from our secound floor
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank blessednails

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Gardiner, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

tiny room, musty smell, apathetic staff make this a last resort place for Rehoboth
yes it is a block from the beach but we won't be back

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Lisa L

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Bluffton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We just stayed here one month ago, after deciding on a whim to get away to the beach! Since most people plan a beach vacation months in advance, and we decided to plan ours just DAYS in advance, we knew that finding accomodations in Rehoboth would be challenging, to say the least. But, after we both scoured the internet for possibilities, we agreed that A Summer Place Hotel was definitely our best bet, particularly when it came to price and proximity to the beach. Our planned itinerary consisted of basically two items: walking the boardwalk and eating a lot of food. We were able to accomplish both, with the help of A Summer Place, PLUS we took in a little shopping, relished a great concert in the gazebo, and enjoyed getting to know Dan, the manager. For the people on here, who found him weird or rude, maybe you ought to take a look at yourselves first, before you start judging him. We found him to be delightful and interesting. Our beds & bath were satisfactorily clean, and no, we didn't have a flat screen tv in the room, but we didn't come to Rehoboth to watch television. As far as we were concerned, the room was perfect for sleep (and even a little something, something- since our beds were so close...). Now, as far as the parking is concerned, it took us all of 2 minutes to find a nearby spot for the car, and we were definitely there during the peak summer frenzy.
The only downsides to the place that I could list were 1) I did think there might be a ghost in our bathroom during the night, when I heard water running, but then I discovered it was just the toilet that made a little noise, likely when someone else in an adjoining room flushed. I actually was kind of hoping it WAS a ghost, since I had never seen one before; 2) I also wish that the place was pet friendly, since we often travel with our dogs, but Dan explained why he decided against that policy, after being burned in the past by inconsiderate pet owners, which is perfectly understandable to me.
Thus, in conclusion, do not listen to these naysayers here on tripadvisor.com. Get yourself to Rehoboth and spend your valuable money on the only sensible hotel choice in the city, A Summer Place Hotel. Thanks again, Dan! We WILL be back, so leave the light on. :)

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel website---not an online travel provider.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TanyT4
Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Unfortunately, I booked my room through Hotels.com. When the reservation confirmed, it was at a price $60 a night higher than advertised. Hotels.com said I'd have to talk to the hotel. The Summer Place agreed that Hotels.com were awful, but weren't going to refund my money. When I arrived, I walk into the dirty little (so-called) lobby and the clerk looked at me like I'd committed a greivous sin by interrupting his life. He stuck me in a room between the outside door and a stairwell. I was awakened every evening several times by the banging of doors from late night partiers; and then up in the morning by the early risers banging the same doors. The bathroom was dirty and sandy. There was so much dust and crap on the 1970's TV and fridge, that I actually spent the first 15 minutes of my trip cleaning the room. My first morning there a poor soul wandering the hallway was actually looking for a continental breakfast...ha ha ha! I rated it Poor instead of Terrible because you can't beat being a block away from the beach and two blocks from Rehoboth Avenue. They also provide you with a parking pass for a small fee. But the next time I visit Rehoboth, I'll just pay the extra $100 bucks a night to stay at a real hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Janerae67
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We have been several times over several years to this wonderful, decent, cheap place a block from the beach, and two blocks from Rehoboth's main shopping street with parking. We usually stay when we go to the beach on the spur of the moment during the week. A room for two, with a full sized bed, dorm refrigerate, microwave and flat screen tv cost $110. Friday and Saturday the price goes up to 170$ a night. The room is small, with a shower, no tub, but what more do you need if you are walking a block to the beach and don't need to drive? The room and sheets are clean. Walls are thin but most noise and tv's are off by 10 so we had no trouble sleeping. We brought ear plugs and pillows ourselves for extra comfort. You can get a street parking pass for 40$ cash deposit, or pay 5$ a day for parking under a awning on the property. Dan the manager has been there every time we go and been a great help with answering questions about where to go or eat.

If you are looking for a no fuss, no muss, no frill kinda of place like you would in Europe and for less then 1/2 the price off any other place at the beach (hotels even blocks off the beach go for 150-200$ plus) I would recommend Summer Place Hotel for you.

In this economy I wouldn't pay for anywhere else! This kids and I love Summer Place and Dan.. They have cottages too but I have never stayed in one.

Stephanie, Jared & Mariska

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor to be near covered porch or third floor to be farther from street traffic.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Sbjenson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

First off, the microwave and refrigerator were located a couple feet from the bathtub and toilet
Second - the refrigerator had tons of black mold in it. When I brought this up to the owner he said simply, "well if you had told us about it earlier we would have just wiped it off" wiped it off?? How about disinfect!?
Thirdly since we are on the subject of disinfecting - the bed sheets which are yellowed and stained with age are not disinfected, but washed and then hung to dry (not on a clothesline even!) on the railings of a paint peeled second floor deck.
Fourth - the noise was incredible, constantly hearing doors slamming , as well as having a big drunk guy slamming on our door for a few good minutes at midnight.
Fifth - no parking! All around this place within a few blocks are all METERED parking. You do get a parking permit for $40 which you get refunded for after you return it, but the permit spots close by are few and far between so you have to go about 5 or 6 blocks away from the hotel to park. The permits are not even required after 5pm, and the meters which surround this "hotel"run till midnight. Good luck finagling your way around that one!
The prices are ridiculous! $175 for a room the size of a walk in closet, with less than a foot of space on either side of the bed. All the appliances are filthy, I doubt the sprinklers even work because they are practically hanging out of the ceiling, and the shower head is rusted and crusty and falling out of the wall. Don't walk on the linoleum floor without shoes on, and bring your own soap, the soap that was provided leaves a disgusting sticky residue on your hands that feels like glue!
$175??? I don't think so!
The owner is VERY RUDE too.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank Megaawesome
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This place is gross, small and loud. I booked this hotel because it was close to the beach and had parking (for $15 extra per day, however) and it was cheaper than some of the other hotels in the area. We had the smallest room of the place (#4) and when I say small, it was closet small. Don't get me wrong, I am not the type of person that needs to stay in a 5 star hotel so I wasn't expecting a huge glamorous hotel and we were at the beach and not planning to spend a lot of time in the room, but, I felt dirty and disgusting there. There was a dried white substance on the comforter of the bed. The floors weren't clean and the best part, when we came back to the room to shower, there was a centipede crawling on the floor. Oh and the microwave and fridge, were found, unplugged in the bathroom so if you need to use either of those appliances, you need to move them out and plug them in somewhere- if you can find the space!

Now I can talk about the noise. First of all, if you're staying downstairs and there is anyone upstairs, prepare not to sleep. You can hear everything, even a tiptoe. In addition, since the door to our room was right next to the door that led to the upstairs, every time someone would go in and out, we would hear the door slam. Not only did we get to hear that door slam, we also got to hear the door to the side entrance of the hotel slam. We didn't sleep past 7 and I was wearing ear plugs.

Basically, spend a few extra bucks and find another hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple