“Very good food at excellent prices for the Beach”

La Tolteca Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #96 of 283 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Always a reliable favorite with very good food. The beach location 'premium' was minimal making it an excellent value. Servings were very large. Excellent children's menu making it a good spot for families.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

My family and I ate here as one of our nights out on vacation. While it's not the worst meal I've had, I am disappointed and ultimately wish we had picked a different restaurant. We decided to sit on the patio, which was very loud between the heavy furniture being dragged across the ground when people got up or shifted and noise from cars on the highway right there. The salsa tasted good but was difficult to eat because it had the consistency of soup. I ordered a strawberry margarita and it came with an orange slice garnish which I found strange. It was good though.

I ordered the carne asada and should have realized that cut of meat I would end up with since it is $2-$3 cheaper than other steak entrees and the cut of meat isn't specified on the menu. What I was able to eat was okay, but there was so much fat. I'm talking huge sections that I don't think anyone would want to eat. The quality of meat used in this dish is poor. I could have easily made it better myself. Stick with chicken - both of my parents had chicken entrees they enjoyed. My husband ordered 3 chicken soft tacos. The description on the menu says, "Flour tortilla stuffed with chicken, lettuce and shredded cheese", however he found a huge chunk of tomato in one of the tacos. The waitress said it's in the marinade they use for the chicken. I told her they need to specify that in the menu because there are some people (like one of our friends) who are very allergic to tomatoes. She either didn't understand what I said or didn't care because she didn't respond. There was also green pepper in it, another ingredient not specified in the menu. Her service was poor - never asked how everything was, didn't apologize about the tomato, never asked if we wanted dessert - she brought the check out and I had to tell her we weren't finished! The sopapillas were good I'll say.

We like to try new places on vacation, so we probably wouldn't come back here even if we did really like it, but this is definitely on the "not again" list. You can find much better restaurants in the area. They need to have better service, invest in better quality ingredients, and change up their patio furniture so it's not so noisy when moved.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were in Lewes and felt like Mexican food. Two of us had gone to La Tonalteca in Rehoboth before and recommended it so we went. Had a great time! The place has south of the border atmosphere. You can sit inside or outside. We sat outside since it was a nice evening. Our waiter, Nacho, kept up wth our food and hydration needs. The same two of our party recommended the Texas Fajitas so we all had them. The portion was big enough to to feed two (if you are not starving). Texas Fajitas was a combo of beef, chicken and big plump shrimp - delish! They had all kinds of drinks on the menu but we all had different kinds of Margaritas. Now, I am use to having Margaritas that are mostly ice and I usually only get 4-5 sips out of a drink. Not at La Tonalteca! I got a Margarita with only a few ice cubes in the glass. I appreciated it but since I like my drinks very cold I asked for a glass of ice. The prices were great. The tab for the four of us was $88. Would go again. La Tonalteca gives great value for good food and drinks!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Great place Going to it for years. Sincerely miss it until next visit. Fajitas are great. Stuffed jalapenas are great value. Margaritas are the best outside of San Antonio, TX In a 5 day vacation, usually take 2 meals here.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

A great Mexican restaurant, and right near the Outlets. Great service, delicious food and margaritas, and reasonably priced. A much better choice when shopping than the 'Food Court'!