“They stand in the sweltering SUN to get these delights ~”
Review of Cafe Papillon

Cafe Papillon
Ranked #6 of 31 Dessert in Rehoboth Beach
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 2, 2014

I returned to this very unique Café in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, to share for the very first time all their scrumptious treats with M'Lady...Nicely tucked into opposing sides of 'Penny Lane', a side street of cool shops that branches south of the main shopping & dining drag of Rehoboth Avenue...As you approach, you'll find a handful of smartly appointed, umbrella covered tables on your right, and on the opposite side, is another small, covered area to sit and feast out of the reach of the sun's wrath...Before and after are the two spots where you can order your food....

When we first arrived, early afternoon, the line of folks standing in the sweltering SUN was too much for us to even consider, so, my Lady & I had no problem browsing through some of the nearby shops till the line shrunk...At which time, she quickly picked out a Croissant w/fresh baked Turkey while I chose their Smoked Salmon w/sour cream & chive Crêpe...Whereupon she even more quickly grabbed one of the few remaining, covered tables across the lane, while I braved that same sweltering SUN, foolishly thinking, "How long can just 4 people in front of me take to order, right?" But as I stood there sweating, I discovered the guy at the front of the line was buying enough food for the 82nd Airborne Division...ALL of whom had parachuted down upon 3 nearby tables...

SO, by the time I reached the window, my shower of 2 hrs ago was completely a waste of time...When one of the two, young French Chefs chimed in with "Who is next, s'il vous plaît? Who is next?" {ALL the Chefs & Servers actually are French and appear to only speak English, when they are talking to the sweating hoards in line}...So, finally as I ordered my lady's Turkey Croissant, both Chefs remarked at the same time that you can only order 'Crêpes' at this window! All other 'delights' must be handled next door, upon which I replied that there was no one there to order with, which brought about a rattling fervor of 3 folks speaking French all at the same time just as one female server arrived {apparently late} to man the other side...Opps!

Not to be any further disheartened at this point {I had only waited SEVEN years since my last trip to return to Penny Lane!?!}, I lastly ordered my Crêpe which they dazzlingly whipped together in a French minute, which I then promptly left at our table, safely knowing there was NO WAY M'Lady was gonna even taste my Salmon!?! {the only plus from having a partner who does not like seafood!} So then I very quickly got her Croissant ordered at the next window, and as I waited, I drooled at all the delectable fresh, French pastries that garnished their display case...

After getting her a soft drink, I took a chance and asked for a double shot of Cappuccino, which I am INTENSELY picky about!?! Outside of my way too short trip to Bordeaux ten years ago, I have only found ONE {and NONE!} stateside cafe that could make a true and genuinely strong and tasty cup {that review will follow soon!} of Cappuccino, and sadly to say, Café Papillon was NOT one of those Cafés...!?!

BUT, the amazing taste and texture and blend of Smokey Salmon and fresh chives and creaminess SO lovingly pouched within their lighter-than-air Crêpe, made the entire venture and ordeal SO worthwhile, I completely dismissed ALL my misfortunes on my arduous sojourn to SUCH a heavenly rendezvous with ALL the French Gods & Goddesses of Luscious Enjoyment ...!!! M'Lady also liked her Croissant very much, so, since I still had half-a-cup of my warm chocolate milk left, I decided we should split one of their awesome looking Éclairs, and OH, how glad we were that I did!?!

SOMETIMES the wonders you find at the end of the rainbow, justify the tribulations you must endure to get oneself there...This afternoon was certainly one of those sweltering, sunny days...I shivered though to think I may have to wait another seven years for another return...!?! I most assuredly hope not !?!

1  Thank 407Marco

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Hands down one of the best crêpes I've tried in the US! I ordered one of their savory crêpes, while my friend got a nutella and strawberry, both of which were superb. The owner is French and makes them right in front of you! He seemed friendly and gave us helpful tips about the area since we aren't from around there. Definitely worth the wait (which wasn't long).

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I've been coming here for more than 30 years. I've tried to duplicate their crepes but mine are never as good.

1  Thank PHCTourist
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Whenever I am in Rehoboth this is a must-go. The owners are French and the crepes are outstanding. They make them to order while you watch, and it is quite a show. I typically get the savory crepes (egg, ham, cheese, and tomato), but the sweet ones with all that fruit, chocolate, and whipped cream look yummy too. Also check out the pastries next door. They have the best croissants I have had outside of Paris. In fact, they are better than some I have had in Paris.

1  Thank KAR20850
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stopped here for a late morning treat and it was wonderful. You could tell from the line that something good was being served. It definitely was worth the 5-minute wait! We tried a few of the dessert crepes and they were fantastic! I would recommend this place to anyone in need of a sweet treat!