“Consistently Dependable American Fare and Service”

Summerhouse Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 283 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Rehoboth Beach tradition, the Summer House is known for its fresh, well-prepared food presented in an upscale yet relaxed atmosphere with prompt and friendly service. Jumbo lump crabcakes, tender barbecued ribs and chicken, just-ground burgers, veal and wild mushroom meatloaf, and monster steaks are just a few of the restaurant's specialties. A varied selection of salads, soups, starters and yummy side dishes round out the menu, and specials change daily. On Monday, it's half-price burger night, 4-9:30 p.M., And Miller Lites are just $2.50. Summer House Three Course Prime Rib Dinner night on Wednesday and Sunday nights. DJs keep the joint rocking on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights, and Sunday offers a great brunch menu and Bloody Mary Bar, 11 a.M. To 3 p.M. Lunch is available seven days a week, 11:30 a.M.-3 P.M., And the business lunch menu on weekdays features two courses for just $12. Don't miss the happy hour specials at the main bar, 4-7 p.M., Monday-Thursday, with great appetizer menu, $2.50 Domestic beers and fresh-squeezed grapefruit and lemon drop martinis. Enjoy extended Happy Hour on Fridays til 8PM!
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My annual late-summer pilgrimage to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware always includes dining at Summerhouse. That's because this restaurant consistently delivers dependably good American fare, a casual, relaxed atmosphere, and service that makes even a solo diner feel appreciated. My most recent visit on September 4, 2012 continued my run of positive experiences here.

At Summerhouse it's possible to eat well for either a lot of money or a reasonable amount of money. Generously sized entrées, highlighted by steak, prime rib of beef, and some seafood, trend toward the pricey, $28-$30 or more. By visiting during happy hour and ordering smaller plates, however, it's possible to eat well and enjoy variety without busting the budget.

Dining solo, I took a seat at the large bar. Summerhouse also offers table dining adjacent to the bar plus two dining rooms.

For dinner I selected two appetizers plus a side order of vegetables and some comforting Merlot. The glass proved so tasty and generously sized that I eventually could not resist ordering a second one. My first appetizer, locally grown tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, proved adequate, although the cheese was skimpily portioned. A generous topping of tasty balsamic vinaigrette helped offset that shortcoming. The second appetizer, a single large crab cake, proved more memorable. Topped by fresh sprouts and a robust vodka-flavored cream sauce, it left me satisfied. My generously portioned side order of sauteed mushrooms arrived hot but not overcooked. Accompanied by delicious warm bread and olive oil, the items I selected made for more than an adequate meal.

While dining, I enjoyed chatting with some convivial barmates and watching on numerous large screen TVs the U.S. Open Tennis Tournament, three different professional baseball games, and other sports highlights. My server, Jimmy, one of Summerhouse's veterans, consistently and promptly attended to my needs.

Dinner consisting of two appetizers, the side of vegetables, and two generously sized glasses of Merlot set me back all of $28 plus gratuity; Delaware does not impose sales tax. Based on the friendly, attentive service I'd received, I felt positive about leaving a gratuity exceeding 20%.

Travelers seeking an unpretentious, dependable, friendly spot in which to dine in Rehoboth Beach cannot, in my experience, do better than Summerhouse.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Not my favorite place to eat at RB, but a decent runner-up. The food and service are both consistently good. This is a nice place to cool off and catch the news on the big screen TVs. The crab bisque is fantastic!!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great food, great service and great atmosphere. Everything you want in a restaurant. Went for lunch cause we have diner plans each night but LOVE this place.

Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Good food, nice atmosphere. Thought the kids menu was a little overpriced, $12 for a kids steak was a bit much. But overall a good dinner for our family, we would return.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Having heard good reviews about this restaurant we decided to give it a try...and we were not disappointed. We were pleased with the food and service and also enjoyed the casual atmosphere. Our booth in the bar area overlooking Rehoboth Ave was perfect for my family.