“TERRIFIC FIND...”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were at the Clear Space Theater next door and it was recommended to do dinner here. With our theater tickets, we got a 10% discount. We decided to go before the show and we got wonderful service. We went on the recommendation of the waiter for our meals and they were delicious. It was our anniversary and the artistic decor was really neat to experience. I would try it again during the prime summer season.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We’ve been coming to Rehoboth for years, but this was the first time we saw Debacle, an underground hideaway on the beach block of Baltimore Avenue. And what an amazing find! First of all, if you are gluten-free this place is a MUST – their menu is now 100% gluten-free! This was the first time I was ever able to enjoy fish fry (made with corn starch and rice flour – come Fridays for their $15 fish fry special!) at a restaurant, as well as fabulous dinner rolls and a flatbread pizza. (They do serve regular bread for those who want it, but the gluten-free rolls were so good that my husband, who can eat wheat, was fighting me for them.) Everything we tried was delicious – the creamy shrimp risotto and the crème brulèe were particular hits – but having an entire menu to choose from was a special treat. And your wheat-eating friends and relatives will enjoy it every bit as much; there are no sacrifices here. To top it all off, the atmosphere was inviting and relaxing. Unlike so many of the other restaurants in Rehoboth, which are over air-conditioned and loud with poor service, Debacle had generous-sized tables with tall, cushy chairs, a comfortable temperature, attentive wait staff, and a low noise level. There’s a stage for music and shows, which unfortunately weren’t playing while we were there, but it looks like a great place for dinner theater. We will most definitely be back!

1  Thank DCDolcevita
Reviewed August 25, 2013

For a true change of pace, Debacle will do the trick. The downstairs restaurant has an intimate feel to it, despite its spaciousness. Very comfortable spacing of the tables, with lots of interesting, unique artwork on the walls.

The menu offers just enough selections to feature something to please everyone, all at very reasonable prices, in the $20 - $25 range for the main course. The food is quite good, in particular considering the price.

The service on the night we went was spotty, but on the whole ok. For instance, I asked the server what the butter had been flavored with (it had a red-ish hue, with some herbs in it). She didn't know! What's more, she didn't bother to ask anyone after she admitted not knowing. Hmm. Strange, right? Oh well, we didn't have to wait long for our meals, at least.

All in all, I highly recommend trying this interesting, creatively decorated restaurant, for some affordably priced, very good fare. Reservations recommended!

1  Thank DCEuropa
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our visit started out well. We were seated without a reservation (now I know why), the place was nicely decorated with a cute bar in the corner, and the seats were very comfortable. We were seated by our waitress, and there were only two other occupied tables. We asked for the gluten-free (GF) menu since it was advertized to have one. The waitress said, "everything on the is gluten-free", to which we responded, "really? that's great!" Which she followed with..."I mean except the things with bread." *Facepalm* Well, that's not everything is it. We let that slide with still many options to choose from which were GF.

Food: I started with the crab bisque, which was different than I was used to, but as described on the menu. It was pretty good with large lumps of crab. We then had the shrimp risotto and the filet. Both were terribly bland. The risotto was sticky and clumpy and just meh. Not horrible, but not even good, and far from great. The steak was cooked accurately, medium-rare as requested, but tasted so bland. It didn't even taste like it was seasoned with salt a pepper. Like the chef had just forgotten that part or something. We finished with the creme brule and the GF chocolate torte. The creme brule was flavored OK, but served in a deep cup so it was cold on the bottom half and luke-warm from the torch on the top half. The other dessert was awful. I have eaten many GF desserts and this was by far the worst. With my eyes closed I wouldn't have even known it was chocolate. The fresh whipped cream was good though. Service: There was only one waitress and the bartender looked like he had a table too.

Service was painfully slow, and she was so rushed and running around. I felt bad for her, but I was still pissed that it took 25 min to serve us a cold chocolate torte, 15 min after we had gotten the other dessert we ordered. Then I had to attempt to flag her down after about 4 passes with me waving at her for the check. The place is NOT big.

The one bright spot was the chef, and I assume owner. He was very nice and was telling us about how he would like to make the whole restaurant GF. I wish him luck, but he clearly needs to make some serious changes. I just hope he has better luck with his bread than he does with his pastry chef. I really wanted to like this place, but it just wasn't in the cards.

1  Thank Cavaliere1
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Owner/chef (formerly of Cafe Sole) never disappoints. Atmosphere is comfortable and fun. Food is originally presented and flavorful. Black and tan hummus appetizer was generous and very fresh. Crab bisque equally flavorful and not too salty. Entrees of soy-glazed salmon (presented w/spicy fruit salsa on wilted spinach - no starches) and creamy shrimp risotto (expect creamier than Italian risotto) were excellent. Prices are appropriate. Service is unobtrusively attentive. An all around delicious experience.

1  Thank pescia_one