“Horrible Customer service”

Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
PA
“Horrible Customer service”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I was so excited to take my son to the Sea Witch and Fiddle Fest for his 3rd Birthday. I reserved a room well in advance b/c I knew this would be a busy weekend and I have stayed here many times before. I walked into the room and there was NO safty lock on the door. As soon as I used the lower lock my son unlocked our room and was out into the hall running at full speed. When I brought this to managements attention they informed me that the safty locks have not been on the doors for over 5 years. Now, I just stayed at this hotel 1 month prior and there was a lock. They assured me that I was lying to them and this was not the case. When I asked for my money refunded to me to go to a different hotel they accused me of scaming them and threw my money at me and told me to get out. I think this was a bit over the top to accuse some one of running a scam when the issue at hand is your hotel is unsafe for my son.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank familly_on_the_go

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Reviews seemed ok so I booked the room through Expedia.com and got a great price for the Columbus Day weekend.
Pulled into the very narrow parking garage, but I had a small car (I do not know how the SUVs make it). Check in was fast and easy and then up to my room. I was on the first floor (which is the 3rd floor because the 1st two floors are the parking garage and lobby). So I took the elevator to my floor. First impression of the hallway was something from a scary movie in the 80s. Dark and dingy hallway! I opened my door and I could not stop laughing. The room was so in need for major renovations. I was surprised that the TV was working because it was so old (I think it was from the 70s). My friend arrived later and could not believe I booked this room. I was like the reviews were not that bad. At least we had a refrigerator and two beds. Well I kept my socks on while walking around the room and they were pretty dirty. The bed was not very comfortable either. I tossed and turned all night long. I needed to get a good night sleep since I had to be up and out of the motel by 7 a.m. At least they had free internet! The free internet helped me find a better room. We booked across the street at the Atlantic Inn.
The motel is close to the main shopping area in Rehoboth Beach. I would not recommend this motel to anyone. I felt dirty the one night there. Pay the extra money and stay some place else.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ScubaCF

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Middletown, PA
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Have to concur with some of the previous reviews: the parking (on 2 levels) is tight as are the entry/exit ramps; the place has a "faded" feeling (especially the hallways at night); the location is fantastic for shopping/dining but it is 2 long blocks to the beach (get a cart for big loads and/or kids). However, we found the (king-size) bed to be just fine as is, and the pool/sun deck location very nice - the sun deck has a 2nd story view of most of Rehoboth Avenue and the indoor, unheated pool was great for cooling off. Price we paid (w/AARP discount) did not seem cheap, especially when we compared other motels' price schedules, but the Sandcastle was one of the few places available 2-months in advance. Staff was very friendly (but no vacuuming during our stay either). Our room had a dorm-sized refrigerator and small sink in the room (no microwave but one is in the office).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zap2504
las vegas, nv
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My family and a friend stayed at Sandcastle and found it most accommodating for the money and location. When I first saw some of the reviews, I was hesitated but our room (308) was great. Quite clean and good condition. It was adequate for us. It was far from the reviews I read before. The staff, especially Al and the lady that worked the late shift, were just great! Honestly, I think a lot of people think accommodations they get away from home should be "like home". Anyway, we would stay there again especially with free parking which is a good deal!

• Stayed August 2009
PA
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We needed an inexpensive hotel to host a Girl Scout weekend and this pace worked out just fine. It was hard to get a reservation anywhere for a reasonable price or 1 night stay since it was Greyhound Weekend. The rooms were a decent size and clean. The price was so good at the Sandcastle that we were able to dine at the Cultured Pearl.

• Stayed November 2008
1 Thank Lewesbeachfan
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed August 15, 2009

My wife and 2 young children (2 yrs. and 7 mos.) stayed for 3 nights. We found the rooms at the Sandcastle to be acceptable - ALMOST what you might expect from your average chain hotel. Though we had a good stay, the place is a bit outdated, a bit dingy, and very basic. The price (around 2/3 of what other hotels in similar location were charging) is the primary reason we may decide to return.

THE GOOD:
-The location is great - on Rehoboth Ave. and near the nightlife (and alternative nightlife) on Baltimore St. Only two blocks from the beach (It was a long walk with two little kids and a cooler, though!).
-The desk staff was very friendly, and happy to assist when needed.
-The rooms were clean upon arrival - looked exactly as pictured on the hotel website.
-Everything was walking distance - we parked the car and didn't use it. (the info in some reviews saying that SUV's don't fit inthe garage is false. We were parked next to a Chevy Suburban, and saw Ford Explorers, Jeep Grand Cherokees, and Nissan Armadas, among others in garage - see my pictures)
-Street noise did not bleed into the room. Despite loud dance music being played at the man-friendly Aqua Grill across the street, the sound did not come into the room.
-Wi-Fi and Cable TV worked fine.

THE BAD:
-The housekeeping service did not vacuum during our visit. Everything else was ok - beds were made, towels replaced, trash emptied - but sand was constantly on the floor after day one.
-The hotel is older and has corridors open to the elements, giving the place a kind of run-down feeling. Your most basic chain hotel almost certainly has newer paint/carpet/furniture/linens. The parking garage houses a lot of garbage and feels a bit sketchy.
-The beds are made with a plastic mattress cover. They made the beds extremely loud and uncomfortable. We took them off after the first night and the beds were rendered fine.
-The pool, while clean, was pretty small - not really suitable for my 2 yr. old.
-The lobby coffee is on a burner all day and night and undrinkable - should be considered a hazard, not an amenity.

THE LOWDOWN:
If you are not looking for any luxury, the Sandcastle will likely suit you. It is clean and convenient. If you are looking for more than basic, you may want to try someplace more expensive.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Bluestruck
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We found this motel to be great for what we needed. It is located 2 blocks from the boardwalk, clean and has a very friendly staff. While it may be a little outdated, our family just wanted a place to sleep because we spent the majority of our time at the boardwalk or beach. The Sandcastle Motel was perfect for what we wanted... it is cheap, clean and has a great location!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family