“Perfect Again!”

Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Lehigh Valley, PA
“Perfect Again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

This was our fourth stay at the Avenue Inn since we discovered the place in 2007. I really don't see any reason to stay any place else at Rehoboth. The Avenue, as always, was clean, relaxing, and great value for the money. We reserved a month in advance for five days, and though we were not able to get our prefered Rehoboth Avenue view, the room overlooking Wilmington Ave was every bit as nice and offered a different, more quiet experience of the town. This side of the hotel, strangely enough, seems to have a better view of the ocean from the balcony, which pleasantly surprised us! Amenities abound at the Avenue, from the pool/sauna to the wine & cheese, cookies and breakfasts. It was actually warm enough for us to use the beach this time, and the Avenue provided us with beach towels and chairs as well. The staff are friendly and always professional. The Avenue truly does feel like a home away from home whenever we travel to Rehoboth.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank istari_olias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
OzziesMom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

We really enjoyed the two room suite and the extras such as warm cookies at 8 pm and Bath & Body Works shampoos/soaps.We also really loved the FREE wireless internet! I did however think the staff could have been friendlier towards us. I was really starting to think they didn't even want us there(we are a married couple with a two year old son) until I checked out the young lady at the front desk was very kind and friendly and even asked if my son enjoyed his stay. That made me happy and changed my opinion about the staff. We hope to go back in May to explore Rehoboth in better weather and will most likely stay there again. One more easy suggestion to the Avenue, please warm up the indoor pool. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank OzziesMom32
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

Although this hotel was immaculate and pleasantly appointed, ultimately a hotel room should be judged on one's ability to sleep. And this room made it nearly impossible.

The first problem was that there seemed to be some sort of construction project going on right outside my Wilmington Avenue-facing room. It started at 7:30 each morning, which is not exactly the crack of dawn but close enough when one is on vacation!

The much more serious problem was that it was impossible to comfortably regulate the ambient temperature in the room. The main heat in the hotel didn't seem to be on at all, and it was in the 20s outside on the days I was there. When I called the front desk to ask for the heating to be turned on, they informed me that the room is appointed with a heating/air conditioning unit in the corner, which would solve the problem nicely, except it is exceedingly noisy and blows hot dry air at temperatures resembling Death Valley, even on the lowest setting. Trying to stay warm then involves turning the thing on for 30 minutes until the temperature in the room approximates the surface of the sun, then turning it off until the room is so cold you have icicles hanging from your nose. It was impossible to sleep with it on for me, so I would wake up to a room so cold I could literally see my breath.

Very unpleasant stay, and not worth the money even at the "off-season" rates. (I was there at the end of January.) I'm exhausted and freezing!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Freezing cold, noisy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
9 Thank catpower2000
SIMPLER HOTELS, Owner at Avenue Inn & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2009
Our goal is to make every guests experience at the Avenue enjoyable and relaxing. There are times when problems arise and our staff is capable and free to make the adjustments necesary to accommodate the guest.
Unfortunately if the guest doesn't communicate with the staff we will not be able to rectify the problem. That is the situation in this case, We were unaware that the guest did not know how to properly operate the heater and we were unaware that there was an issue with early morning noise outside of the room. Both problems could have quickly and easily been handled, if we knew of them.
Our hotel has more reviews than any other in Rehoboth. My experience in reading these reviews, and those of other properties, is that irrational people give irrational ratings. Posting the lowest possible rating for an issue that was never presented to staff or management is irrational and unfair to us. If the issue was brought to our attention and we did not present a reasonable remedy than I can accept a poor rating and I will demand betteer action from the stafff in the future.
I have personally attempted to contact this guest to discuss this claim but have received no response.
The great majority of our reviews prove that this persons rating is far from the typical experience at the Avenue Inn.
We look forward to our future guests staying with us and giving us the opportunity to show the wonderful experience thousands and thousands of guests have known.
Alex Moore
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

Took an impromptu trip to Rehoboth yesterday morning, and on the strength of the TripAdvisor rating, chose the Avenue Inn. Walked in, got a room (Jan. 2 is about as off-season as it gets!), and spent a day roaming around town on foot, and had a very nice evening and morning at the Inn. Wine & cheese complimentary at happy hour, in front of the fireplace -- nice touch! Very good continental breakfast, and super coffee -- we're picky about coffee, and it was excellent.

Room was immaculate, comfortable, nice linens, quiet, just as pleasant and restful as could be. Will stay there again without a doubt.

• Liked — Clean, pretty, non-institutional-looking. doesn't feel like a chain!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LKB64
Nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

Have to agree with the reviewer below.

Our group from NJ has been going down for the Rehoboth Jazz Fest weekend for at least 8 years now.

Our favorite spot to stay is the Ave Inn. Location is great, the staff are friendly & helpful, rooms are big and clean, they have wine and cheese each afternoon, fresh cookies at night, and a free breakfast.

Always a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Keep up the good work and we hope to see you next year!

• Liked — Great price, clean rooms and great location
  • Disliked — Having to come home
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Steve_of_NJ
Eastern Shore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2008

Just had a girl's getaway for the Sea Witch Festival in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. I have stayed in Rehoboth before and have not always had the best experience at the other hotels I have tried. After checking out the Trip Advisor reviews, I decided on the Avenue Inn. The favorable reviews were accurate. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful and check-in/out was handled efficiently. The lobby was attractive and our room was clean and comfortable. You could tell the hotel was well cared for. My daughter was pleased with the wireless internet access. They offered wine and cheese from 5 to 7 each evening and cookies at 8 p.m. The first morning we took advantage of the $5 per person breakfast voucher at the restaurant across the street. The second morning we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast at the hotel which included 3 different egg casseroles, cereal, bagels, pumpkin muffins, fruit, beverages, etc. The indoor pool area included a sauna and there was also an outdoor hot tub. All appeared to be clean and in working order. Even though this hotel was not oceanfront, the location was excellent, we had an ocean view and did not move our car the whole weekend. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Liked — Location, Amenities
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Dewey1006
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

There's a lot to like about the Avenue Inn, much of which has been adequately covered in other reviews. At this hotel, it was really the small touches that sold us - hot cookies in the evening, wine and cheese before dinner, free loaner beach chairs. These are things that really don't cost management that much, but help to set the hotel apart from the competition. I really dislike places that try to squeeze more money out of you during your visit (think $5 bottles of water in your room). The breakfast was a notch or two above standard continental fare served by the chains. Homemade egg casseroles and baked apples were a pleasant surprise. The pool on the third floor was a bit different - all metal and slightly slippery. The hot tub temperature was set a little lower than normal, which was just fine by me. I didn't use the exercise room or even look at it.

We knew going in that we had two different rooms for our two night stay. (They were nearly sold out when we made the reservations.) Management moved us without any problems. We were in limbo (between rooms) for one hour, but we were out and about so it wasn't a big deal.

We liked having rooms that overlooked the avenue. The glass slider blocked the noise adequately and the balcony allowed us to watch people on the "strip". We didn't hear neighboring rooms, except for a door slamming in the hall once in awhile. The location of this hotel is very good. You hardly need your car after you check in. Walking to the beach, restaurants, shopping, etc is a very big plus. The beds were comfortable as were the pillows. The entire property is non-smoking. The free wireless broadband was consistently very fast.

Overall, my family and I were happy here. It was quiet, well managed, well lit, safe, comfortable, clean and nicely maintained. I'm really trying hard to find some negatives about this place. We didn't really use the A/C, and I've read about some issues with that. OK, maybe the coffee was kind of weak. I guess the slippery pool could be off-putting. But this is where we'll want to stay when in town again. In prior visits, we've stayed at the Brighton Suites (across the street, but nothing special) and the swankier Boardwalk Plaza Hotel. Even for a trip without the kids, we would pick the Avenue Inn. The Boardwalk Inn has the better location and some other positive features, but the Avenue Inn is the better overall value.

• Liked — Clean comfortable room, breakfast, location, fresh hot cookies, wine and cheese
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family