“The photos do not tell the story”
Review of Rehoboth Beach

Rehoboth Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A sandy public beach that offers various organized sports activities every evening during the summer plus special designated areas for surfing and surf fishing.
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Rehoboth Beach Area is very crowded, noisy, and commercialized. It is like Seaside Hts, on steroids. Hated it. Only there one day... took the first ferry out in the morning. Nothing relaxing about it. Not for people who want peace and quiet. 10 lane main road getting to beach with every commercial chain store on it. Boardwalk...just yuk. Advertising very false. Henlopen beach a little better, but not worth the stress of downtown. yuk!

3  Thank elizabeth t

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I am so happy that this beach is now smoke-free. That makes it a huge plus in my book. If you're looking for an Outer Banks, un-crowded type feel, this is certainly not the beach for you, and the crowds annoy me, but it's a great day trip spot, and now you don't need to worry about getting lung cancer just from going to the beach.

TIPS: If you're not staying right on the boardwalk, you'll find the best parking spot and beach spot if you arrive before 9:30 a.m. or so.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

A wonderfully clean organized beachfront community with a very cool classic boardwalk right on the ocean! A really neat beach with tons of umbrellas all American families & classic lifeguards out of central casting, beach front motels and a very cool hip gay beach at the far end of the Boardwalk. Tons and tons of crazy fast food fried dough, burgers and onion rings, pizza, ice cream and every other kind of junk food you could ever imagine strewn everywhere! With Nick knack tourist traps side by side ! The closer to the beach the tackier! Check out Maryland Ave quieter and hipper than the main drag! At the beach front There is an actual band stand! Way cool! Sadly no dogs anywhere in the summer! Except service dogs like me! Virtually Crime free and genuinely wholesome! Very neat tow, peaceful despite throngs of folks around. Also the Gay and straight communities blend here! Kind of like Provincetown but less trashy! Worth the ride! Pricey in the summer!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I used to be a frequent traveler to Rehoboth beach but I have to say there is no way I will ever set foot there. One day I put all my change in the meter and wanted to extend the period so I tried ParkMobile which kept crashing on me and since I had to pick up an old relative in a wheelchair, it took me 10 extra minutes to find $30 ticket that I disputed and explained the situation and they can check ParkMobile log to validate my claim to find out that I am now due to pay $110, ya $110 for 10 minute over parking while I did my best to do the right thing. This city is not worthy of your business or mine.

4  Thank Omar S
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I won't rehash the reviews- it's an overall great beach that's still a hidden gem compared to Ocean City or the NJ Shore. We went for a week in July and it was never overly crowded, and was clean and very family friendly. So if you've already decided to go with some young kids, here are some tips- some Rehoboth specific and some not:

Parking- we went at the height of the summer season (july) and a quick trick we learned is that the parking meters on Rehoboth Ave (main road leading to boardwalk) don't start until 10am and you can prepay them. In other words you can arrive at 8am (which for those of us with young kids is called a "late start") choose a parking spot literally 50 feet from the beach, feed $4.50 into the meter ($1.50/hour with max of 3 hours) and your spot is paid for until 1pm! You've just gotten 2 free hours of parking AND a super close spot. For those tech savvy parents we did the parking app and it worked fine (you can feed the meter from your smartphone) but do be aware that there is a $0.50 extra fee PER TRANSACTION so if you are going to use it- do a lot of hours at a time or else you'll be paying a lot extra.

Umbrellas- there are umbrellas for rent- when we went it was $12/day + tip (some of the people do linger around after you paid them $12 to hint for the tip...). If you are going multiple days and have young kids (like us) You can get inexpensive beach tents off Amazon for $50 which you can use repeatedly year after year and give better protection than the umbrellas. (Even in one trip, three days of renting the umbrella is already $14-15/day x 3!)

Nearby Henlopen Park has FREE (yes FREE) bike borrowing, even has bike trailers and tandem bikes to tow your little ones in. Do get there early, when we went there was already a line at 9am when it opened and there are only 2 trailers and 2 tandem bikes. At the Nature Center- the Nature center itself is small but have some tanks of fish and a petting aquarium with 2 sad looking horseshoe crabs. (Yes I know this isn't Rehoboth Beach technically, but I don't feel like writing a whole new review for Cape Henlopen Park!).

Note there are no changing rooms or bathhouses so be aware. Come dressed for the beach! There are public restrooms but technically you are not allowed to change in them.

I would also recommend, depending on how long your vacation is- to really consider renting a house further away instead of splurging on a beachside suite hotel or nearby house- given how easy the parking is (see above) we spent CONSIDERABLY less by renting a very large house (3 bedrooms bedrooms and kitchen- 2800 sq ft!) that was "far away". Plus we saved $$ by being able to cook and store food for packed lunched as opposed to having to eat out all the time. So we chose a place that was 15 minutes drive away- got rock bottom prices but still was able to park steps away from the beach and on non-beach days could easily go to Outlets, grocery shopping and other attractions. Plus the development we stayed in had a pool!

The only reason I subtracted 1 star was that there was one rainy day and there is very little to do for the young-crowd indoors. No really fun museums, no indoor activities- a movie theatre and really that's it. The boardwalk is also, admittedly not as extensive or grand as those in NJ or Ocean City, but it is simply and fun enough for the younger crowd.

4  Thank bearfamily777