“Old School Fun”
Review of Funland

Funland
More attraction details
Owner description: Funland is a family amusement center located on the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. A family owned and operated business since 1962, Funland provides family fun at reasonable prices for those who visit us each summer. The park offers great entertainment for the whole family, featuring 19 rides, 14 midway games, a redemption center, Skeeball, and an arcade. Our season begins Mother's Day Weekend and runs through Labor Day. In the early part of our season (May into June), our closing time varies; we reserve the right to close early due to factors such as weather and lack of crowds! Normally in season, July 4th - Labor Day, we close around 11 PM.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Reminded me of my chldhood in Coney Island, NY, similar family-friendly fun. Magical at night. Rides are reasonably priced especially if you get a book of tickets (drops the price of tickets down to 25 cents a ticket). Haunted House did have long lines, but it was more fun then most and worth the wait. Games were set so kids and adults could win stuffed animals, arcades were crowded and offered the usual assortment of plastic crap. Favorite games were the whiffle ball throw onto the top of jars since people won all the time and the balls rolled into holes to move the men holding toilet paper towards the outhouse. Cute. Lots of rides for the younger set too which is nice, none had long lines except haunted mansion. Family had a great time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"affordable fun"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Compared to all the other beach amusement parks up and down the coast in this area, this place is tops! Clean, fun and by far the cheapest!!!!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The kids love the rides. Best part is it doesn't break the bank. $25 buys enough tickets for an evening of fun & then some. My son loved the helicopters, para trooper, and jets that make the shooting sound. Bumper cars are always fun. Safe environment! Good times!!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

It is not often I give a 5 star review, but this deserves it, albeit with a few caveats.

It was the October 2009. My family and I just moved to Dover, Delaware. We drove down to check out the beaches, but of course, most boardwalk attractions were closed up for the season. Fast forward to the spring of 2010. We eagerly make our way back to Rehoboth Beach in Delaware and Ocean City, MD to check out the boardwalk offerings. With a two year old in tow and another to arrive later in the summer we were disappointed in the amusement rides in both locations. You know the routine, high prices, apathetic and rude employees, etc. That is until we discovered Funland.

As we cruised the boardwalk we saw a place that was open we had not checked out yet. I turned to my wife as we walked over and said pessimistically "I wonder how much they want here." When I saw that tickets were 30 cents or less I figured they must want 50 tickets per ride. Wait.... 1 ticket to ride?! 2 tickets?! That's it?! It was then that Funland got us hooked by their family friendly atmosphere, good staff and great prices. We have been here dozens of times since.

We now have 4 children, ages 5, 3, 1 1/2 and 6 months. We regularly make the 45 minute to hour drive from Dover throughout the season to spend the day at Funland. Funland is a mix of kiddie rides (with a few big kid/adult rides) and classic amusement park/fair games all reasonably priced with great service. Most of the rides are older, but in great working condition. Many times we start off our kids at the kiddie boats and go right down the line to the fire engines, airplanes, motorcycles, swings, trucks, Ferris wheel, carousel, helicopters, freefall, paratrooper, etc.

This summer was the first time I have seen them raise their prices. We always purchase tickets in the largest quantity possible which is always the best value. $25 will give you 100 tickets or 25 cents per ticket. The previous cost was 22 cents per ticket. They raised their price 3 cents per ticket. I think I can handle that. I don't know the previous time prices were raised. Oh, and tickets never expire! Bring them back next year!

If you have children, especially small children, this is the place you need to take them! Here is some information I hope you find helpful:

Pro's:
-great family fun atmosphere
-great prices
-great staff. For the most part they actually look like they enjoy what they are doing.
-Funland is smoke free.
-Check their website for their operation calendar. It changes throughout the season.
-Evenings and weekends are the most crowded. Try a late afternoon weekday.

Con's:
-can be VERY crowded. No fault by anyone, just the nature of what they offer.
-the operating season is rather short
-line management can be frustrating as many rides don't have an actual queue line.
-the staff sometimes don't know the best way to load and unload guests resulting in being the last one to board the ride and the first one off as with the paratrooper and ferris wheel.

Here are a few other things to know:

-If you are a skeeball addict like my wife and I, the skeeball machines take one quarter for 9 balls. You do not earn tickets, rather if you get a score of at least 250 you win a very small stuffed animal. If your score is higher you get larger ones. You can then trade in 3 of the same size for the next larger one.

-Ride tickets are collected per seat. This means that even if you are just a passenger in the bumper cars you are still charged 5 tickets. If you are a parent STANDING with your child(ren) on the carousel to help them during the ride you, the parent are not charged, just your child(ren). This is VERY helpful!

-The haunted mansion ride is good. It continues its family friendliness with no blood. If you are at the back of the railed queue line, plan on waiting 20 to 30 minutes for your ride. More if the the line exceeds this area. The same goes for the paratrooper. The haunted mansion is only open in the evenings.

-If you are on the helicopters, sometimes too much weight does not want to lift yours in the air. One time we rode the whole time without lifting up. When I questioned the ride operator she just said we weighed too much. I didn't really appreciate that and wished for our tickets back, but did not say anything. I did however, figure out this out. If everyone is going up but you, literally bounce real hard one time with the bar close to you. This usually triggers it to raise you up. I've done this a few times now with great success.

-the Ferris wheel looks smaller than it is. You can ride with your kids even though it's a little tight.

-the prize redemption center is a little small. There are not many selections for those with a large amount of tickets. Also, as the season starts to wind down they don't restock some of the items till next season. It's kind of a bummer to save up tickets for something all summer and then they are out of stock. Sometimes we hold on to them and then redeem them at the beginning of next season.

-Watch for employees that go out of their way to help. When your kids are the only ones on a kiddie ride with no line you might notice they get a little bit of an extra long ride! Make sure you thank the employee :)

Despite the few negative things here, the positives completely outweigh them which is why I retain my five star rating. Be sure to check out my recent photographs from yesterday which include pictures of rides, games, ticket prices, snack prices, ticket list, etc. If you find them, or this review helpful, please let me know by clicking the button below. Thank you for reading.

1  Thank bluecookies