“Room OK, View Nice, Management of Pool Area Disgraceful”

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Bowie, Maryland
“Room OK, View Nice, Management of Pool Area Disgraceful”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed he for a short getaway. The hotel is worn but close to everything and our ocenfront room had a great view. My issue is management's response to a problem we had while staying there. I emaied both the GM and Director of Sales and never received an acknowledgement of the issue. While lounging in the pool during the early evening by ourselves, one of the hotel staff proceeded to yell at people on the boardwalk to come into the pool area, which they did. In the end my wife got into an arguement with one of the boardwalk people in the pool and we left the pool area. Told the front desk manager who said they would check it out. Never any follow-up from the front desk manager, GM, od Director fo Sales. At $250 a night I guess I was expecting some level of customer service, I guessed wrong.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else ...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marty B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Staff was very friendly and accommodating and pleasant. And that was across the board (5 different individuals). Location is great. Right on the boardwalk. Also offers parking, which is a big plus considering that there are parking meters (and very aggressive ticketing) all over the town. Our room was very small and tough to get around in. The rooms and the hallway seemed a little dank and did not have a really good smell. Might be the constant barrage of ocean/humidity air. Some of the accommodations could use an upgrade (better/brighter lighting, new elevator, carpet). I am sure they don't lack visitors due to the location so these upgrades are probably not a priority for now.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms have a great view of the ocean and boardwalk. Might be noisier during peak tim...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank michaelc62
SandsStaff, General Manager at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for acknowledging our friendly staff members and our fantastic location!  Upgrades and renovations ARE a priority for us and we have many scheduled to take place over this coming winter. We hope to make the time you spend with us even more enjoyable in the future.
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My family and I stayed here a few years ago and had an oceanview room. Although it was pretty basic and a bit dated, we slept well and had a good stay. We went back in September 2012 thinking the experience would be similar ... we were wrong. We had a suite this time on the side of the building with a partial ocean view. Again, it was a basic room showing its age, but I didn't mind that so much. What I did mind, though, was constant noise all hours of the night. The 2 rooms across from ours constantly had people going in and out late into the night, slamming their doors, yelling in the hall, and letting their child run around yelling in the hall. Add to this various wedding party members, wedding guests, etc. from one of the several weddings that weekend getting back late at night (1am through 4am) and yelling in the hall, slamming doors, etc. and we got hardly any sleep. We were lucky to get 4-5 hours per night. I called the front desk; they said they would send security up, but this did not seem to help much. In fact, one night I saw the guard walk right by while the people across the hall were out of their rooms making noise late; he didn't do anything. The beds were also very soft and not too comfortable. The breakfast buffet downstairs is ok but is overpriced for what you get. You can walk to other local restaurants for a better deal. The best thing about this hotel is the location; right on the boardwalk, and parking is included under the building. As someone else stated, there were problems finding a working ice machine. Also difficult getting an elevator without waiting excessively long. The staff was cordial, professional and friendly; my only complaint is that the noise issue was not properly dealt with, and when I checked out I was asked how my stay was and I said it was too noisy at night, all I got was an apology and a comment about wedding parties, but no offer of a discount off this or a future stay.

Room Tip: Some suites have the sitting area closer to the hallway with the sleeping area toward the outside of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christian D
Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed at the Sands during a conference. My room overlooked the ocean and pool. At first I thought that being over the pool would be noisy but it wasn't. It was actually one of the quietest and comfortable rooms I've been in for a long time. It was older and needs updated, but I wasn't there to stay in my room! The location was in walking distance to pretty much everything and right on the boardwalk. One major negative...if internet access is important to you, be prepared. I often went to other locations such as Starbucks or Panera to use there internet since the Sands was very slow if it worked at all. The conference facilities were nice and the management was very gratious.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms were wonderful!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mays Landing, NJ
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Ok. Check in 1 car only. Pay to park second car and then told , no guarantee of spot". Urine around toilet base. Ice machine doesn't work and no indication will be fixed. Told to go to another floor for ice. Breakfast buffet...avoid like the plague. Hard and cold waffles. Manager told me (through waiter) I was wrong. (don't think do.) eggs cold too. Probably not good if hot anyway. Wouldn't ever stay here again. Place is old and needs refurbished. Oh, the beds are not comfortable either. And last , what's with the wired shape of the bathtubs? Never stood in a slanted tub before. Guess its part of their, "don't make yourself comfortable" slogan. They live up to it. Enough said....

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank lunautique

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Reviewed September 11, 2012

The location is great,my room had a musty smell, Bed was uncomfortable & pillows were small. I was in town for a conference & they chose the hotel I guess for the value. If it was personal not business I would have walked out the moment I entered the uninviting lobby.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank mikea168
Fayetteville, PA
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The location on the boardwalk makes this a popular hotel, as well as the outdoor pool. If that's your top priority, then choose this hotel. The beds were comfortable, but the rooms are just ok. They don't pay attention to the details. The rug in the room had little trim pieces sticking out, paint scrapes and loose wallpaper just made the room feel less than classy. In comparison, The Avenue Inn has lovely rooms, but it's a block back from the boardwalk. Next time I think I would choose The Avenue for about the same money or less.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business