“Run down rooms not worth the price”

Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Virginia
“Run down rooms not worth the price”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the rooms. The beds were really small (two full sized beds) and the room was pretty run down. Location was good but no balcony in the rooms. I did like that it had a little separate living room with a pull out couch, but for the price they're charging, it's not worth it. Kind of reminded me of a beat up Days Inn or something.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank lmingras
Atlanticsands101, Director of Sales at Atlantic Sands Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
The management of the Atlantic Sands Hotel takes negative guest comments very seriously. At the time of your stay, it is our hope that we would have the opportunity to correct any problem that our guests may have encountered. The goal of our general manager and staff is to create a safe, clean, comfortable and enjoyable environment for our hotel guests. Please contact us and give us the opportunity to assist you. We apologize for your inconvenience.
800-422-0600 Ext. 176

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The hotel was not as bad as some reviews indicated, and was decently clean. Staff were okay, but we didn't have any issues to challenge them with. Food on the back patio was ok and pool was clean. now, our room... It was the smallest room I've ever seen, no exaggeration. With no where to put luggage, the little walking room between furniture there was was completely taken up by our 4 bags plus beach gear. The room had a funny smell that was tolerable after ten minutes. The bathroom was tiny and undesirable. The beds were terrible! We stayed four nights and barely slept, we were spent by 8 pm, so didn't get to spend as much time out as we would have liked. They did not give us soap but on the first day, so we ran out. We had to fight for more than four towels. The only nice thing was the view and the location. That all being said, only stay here if you have to....

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank ParryCrew

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Morgantown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife recently had a medical conference in Rehoboth Beach and we stayed with our daughter for 5 nights at the Atlantic Sands because we had stayed here 3 years prior for a family reunion, and what a disappointment. I never could have imagined a hotel becoming so poor in just 3 years. Upon arrival, there was nobody to help with the bags because they refuse to hire anyone unless there is a major conference/retreat for a corporation at the hotel, which I found out when we checked out. While unpacking, my wife informed me that we were not given the room that we had reserved. When talking with the receptionist at the front desk, she had informed us that the manager had left for the day, even though it was only 4:30 pm, and if we wanted a room with any sort of a view, we would have to switch rooms every other day. This is because you cannot book specific rooms, just a spot. We were not made aware of this when booking. When we asked to speak with the manager the next day, he never contacted us.

For the entire week, there were garbage cans on the 4th floor sitting underneath leaks either from the AC units in the hallways. These were never attended to until Thursday evening because Edward Jones was having a retreat that started the next day. There attendance also caused the hotel to hire a bellhop for the day when Edward Jones was arriving, but they did not help anyone who was checking out. The cleanliness of the rooms were also subject, but the room staff did everything they could to help out with anything we needed. My wife, daughter, and I all had bites on different areas of our body from the bed bugs.

Due to the medical conference running after check out, I inquired about a possible late check out and was told to check with house keeping because they were in charge of this. I explained that it didn't make any sense to speak with housekeeping about a check out, but was informed that it was how they did it. Housekeeping had no problem with us staying a bit later. My wife double-checked on the last day to make sure a late check out was okay, and we were told a different story by the front desk. The manager then called the room and proceeded to argue with me about how I should consider the other hotel guests and how I should "sacrifice" for other guests so they are comfortable. I have never been told that it is my job make guests at a hotel comfortable when I am the guest.

My wife spoke with the director of the medical conference and she relayed to my wife that they had received a large number of complaints from many of the medical professionals, she would be addressing the concerns with the hotel and that they would not be recommending the hotel as a place to stay in the future. When leaving and having a general conversation with a maid at the hotel, she had told us how ignorant the managerial staff and owners are and how they do not truly care about the stay of the guest because the hotel is on the boardwalk, so that is good enough.

We will be moving next door to the Bellmoor any time we stay in Rehoboth in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank TLAV143
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed June 28, 2011

What can I say, I'm a sucker for punishment. Once again, my wife and I stayed here as part of an annual conference that is held here at the beginning to mid-part of June. After my last visit, I was sure it would only get better. Man was I wrong.

Let's start off with the good. The Sands is still providing guests daily use of beach umbrellas and chairs...and a large portion of the umbrellas were new this year. However, most of the chairs are old, and in most cases rusty--hope you have an up-to-date tetanus shot. Further, location. That is probably the only good thing about this hotel. This is one of the few hotels that sit on the boardwalk. Our room had a great view of the ocean, beach and pool (room 311). I don't know if this is a good per say but they have finally removed from their website the inclusion of a fitness room in their amenities. This was on their website the previous 3 years, yet it was always "closed for repairs".

Ok, now for the bad. We showed up at 230 pm thinking that we might be able to check in early, or heck, at 4 pm as advertised. After we approached the counter to inquire about our room we were told it wasn't ready. They took our phone number down and said they would call us when it was so we went to the boardwalk and took a stroll for 45 mins. Meanwhile everyone who was showing up after us was getting rooms. We came back in at about 315 and still no dice from the front desk staff. At 400 pm we inquired again, still the room wasn't ready, yet we easily saw 10 different groups check-in. The sign clearly says 4 pm check-in so we were getting frustrated at this point as to why the room wasn't ready. At 415 pm we went up, once again and they finally gave us the keys.

The room overall was ok looking. Not in the poorest condition, but not what I would expect someone to get for what the seasonal rate is for this place ($380/night). However you can imagine our shock when we looked under our bed and found countless bottle caps, a pair of women's panty hose and a pair of women's underwear...freaking nasty. After reporting this to the front desk we got a "oh sorry"...that's it.

Further, they will automatically charge you a $1.50/night safe fee. We never use the safe so each year we have them take it off our bill. If you don't use the safe, at check out have them take it off your bill.

Parking here is horrendous. You would expect if a guest were to shell out $380/night for a room, they would have guaranteed parking. Nope. Not only that, the hotel routinely gives out parking passes to individuals who aren't staying there causing a ridiculous parking situation. You can imagine the stress of wanting to go somewhere not within walking distance but worrying whether you would find a place to park on your return.

Overall, I hate bursting anyone's bubble but what you would spend here for a week ($380/night x 7 nights=$2600) 2-3 people could easily do a seven day trip in the Caribbean with airfare included-actually I'd be stunned if you even paid even that much. The only reason we continue to stay here really is because we get a conference rate on the rooms which is more than 50% off the room price, otherwise we'd be elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank AnnapolisMatt
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My Husband, Daughter and I just returned from a weekend getaway at Rehoboth Beach! The trip was most wonderful! It was a spare of the moment idea to get away for the weekend and werent even sure that we would be able to find a room with such short notice but upon calling the Atlantic Sands we had reservations in no time. The room was a double with a partial view, however there was nothing partial about the view we had from our balcony! It was beautiful!!! The Room was clean and nicely decorated, we stayed in what seems to be called the "old" part of the hotel but it was perfect for us! I was worried because many of the reviews Ive read here had me thinking we were really in for a bad experience at this hotel, but that couldnt be further then the truth! The bathroom was clean and the shower and curtains were spotless, there were plenty of towels. The flat screen TV was nice but it would have been great if the Hotel offered pay per view movies. It was also great that we could park our car and not have to move it again till we were ready to leave and go home, even after checking out we were able to leave the car parked until we were done with our day!
The staff was friendly and helpful, at one point (11:30pm) I had to call down to the desk because there were kids on the pool patio shining lazer pointers at the hotel and in our eyes up on the balcony, it was not even 2min later that the manager of the hotel was out there and clearing off the patio and we could once again enjoy the nightime view of the ocean. Some things that I didnt like in the hotel were the dank elevator, the fact that there are no vendy machines in the older section of the hotel, we had to walk a maze of hallways just to find a soda machine, it would have been easier to go down to the boards and get a soda, and the carpets in the room are in desperate need of cleaning I didnt feel comfortable walking without having my flipflops on at all times. However with that said we were extremely pleased with our stay and the Atlantic Sands in Rehoboth and plan to stay there again as soon as we can! Dont let the other reviews here out you off from staying at this hotel, you wont be sorry!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mom2beauty
Hollywood, Maryland
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I went here with my spouse for a 3-day weekend and stayed in the hotel for no longer then 15 minutes before cancelling our reservation and moving to the Bellmoor a couple blocks away. At the Atlantic Sands we had a ocean view room and the view was really of the dirty pool. The bathroom had pubic hairs on the ground and the front desk did say they would clean the room but in reality that should have been done prior to our arrival. Although the location is nice i would never recommend anyone stay here. The bellmoor was the same price just two blocks from the ocean and it inclued a nice hot breakfast & clean rooms (and it's an updated hotel).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank marti38
old greenwich
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I decided to spend Memorial Day weekend at Rehoboth Beach and booked the Atlantic Sands. Never again will we stay there. Not only was the lobby shabby looking but the room, which was described to us as being "a very nice room", was dirty and well worn. I knew we were in trouble when I saw the stains on the hallway rugs and the old run down and dirty elevator. When we entered the room on first glance it wasn't so bad because our view of the Atlantic was so magnificent. But as we became more accustomed to the room, I noticed the dirty rugs, the torn furniture, the spit stains on the wall above the bathroom sink from previous guests, the splintered bathroom door, the rusty shower head and the wallpaper peeling off the wall. I decided to say nothing and enjoy the weekend until one evening when returned after taking our car out to go to dinner, we couildn't find a parking space in the hotel lot. We were told there was a party in one of the rooms and the occupants had left a list of guests who should be allowed to park in the lot. My husband is handicapped... there wasn't a handicapped space to be found that night... all but one was occupied with cars without handicap parking tags/stickers. When I complained at the front desk, the 2 girls looked dumbfounded and had nothing to say... not even a sorry. When I parked illegally blocking 1/2 the entrance to the parking lot the security guard offered us his spot, which I took. Know that even if you're a paying guest youre not guaranteed a parking space if a party's going on. One other thing... plan on paying $1.50/day for the in room safe should you use it(!) As I said... never again... Boardwalk Plaza here we come!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple