“As always..a great stay”

Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Newark
“As always..a great stay”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We have been staying with this hotel for several years and have never been disappointed. The staff is like family, the rooms are always clean and comfortable. We look forward to returning soon to lounge by the pool. Thank you for always making our stay one to remember.

Room Tip: We like the king executive room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bboo1979
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear BBoo1979,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation partner during your visits to our area and for considering us as part of your family.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
Dawn Heck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I really enjoyed my experience at the Holiday Inn in Rehoboth, my first time at this location though I'm a Priority Club Member with Holiday Inn. The location was great for everything I wanted to accomplish this weekend - everything was within a mile or so from the hotel. I found the staff was especially friendly and fun! The rooms at this location were quite big, updated and I found mine to be very clean. I loved the bathroom vanity! Lots of space and the granite was a nice touch.
Breakfast offered a lot of choices but it's standard fare for this type of hotel. It's not amazing, but certainly more than sufficient for what it is. What was not appetizing or enjoyable was the group congregating in the breakfast bar our last morning at the hotel. While contemplating what I would write in my review, I noticed someone mentioned the hotel having called for police intervention on their group. I'm assuming this is the same group as they were referring to themselves as "criminals" at breakfast. Really? If the attitude and nonsense I saw was anything like the hotel had the deal with, I would have called the police, too. I would be embarassed to act that way in front of any child, let alone my own. If mine had been there to see them act this way these parents would have heard about themselves!
In any event, my friends and I had an amazing weekend and we will definitely stay at this hotel again when the opportunity presents itself...hopefully a girlfriend's getaway this summer...without kids! I have to give a special thanks to Lachelle(sp?) for her extra attention to our room - thank you!!! We apologize for being messy!

Room Tip: The high floors are nice but there is only one elevator so sometimes it can take a couple minutes fo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cotler K
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Cotler K,

Thank you for allowing us to continue to be your home-away-from-home during your visits to Rehoboth Beach, DE. We are delighted to read you are one of our many valued IHG Reward Loyalty Members (formally known as Priority Club).
It saddens us to hear you were subjected to having to listen to the relentless conversations with regard to a group's displeasure.
Luchelle asked me to extend her heartfelt "thank you" and hopes that when you visit us again, you mention to her that you are the person behind the Trip Advisor Review. Luchelle has been with our company for over 7 years and takes great pride in her managing her department. The extreme power of your words, made her day so much brighter. THANK YOU!
We truly do value our guest's feedback and we are sorry for any of the negative impact you had to experience during your stay with us. Breakfast is on us the next time you visit! :-D
We wish you continued safe journeys!
Evesham, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Upon arriving on Friday night after 9pm, we were greeted by a very nice gentleman and he made check in very easy. Unfortunately, I did not get his name but he is definitely the best staff member we have encountered during our stay. Very pleasant. If this gentleman was on staff the following night, I'm sure that my review would continue in a more positive direction. After reading the reviews from other customers that stayed the same weekend as my family, I'm appalled to see the rude, obnoxious and false accusations made by the staff and management of this hotel in response to complaints of poor customer service and treatment towards guests at this hotel. I've never reviewed such defensive responses from a hotel management before even from the biggest complainers. I'm not sure what type of staff customer service training is provided for your company staff but please beware that your defensive, negative, and condescending responses prove that there is a definite flaw in your service level. In fact, after arriving back from a lovely dinner with my family, we did witness the group of people utilizing the hotel lobby to gather and socialize. They were fun loving and very respectful and by no means acting inappropriately or disorderly. What is wrong with people having a good time while away on vacation or in their case, a baseball tournament ? The gentleman on duty at this time was not only rude but falsely accused them of disorderly conduct?? And called the police? Unbelievable. I' ve been to hotels with a bunch of sport teams that were indeed rowdy and other hotels chains handled their behavior with much more respect. this crowd being accused of disorderly conduct is a false accusation and obviously the gentleman on staff at the time exaggerated his story. After reading further reviews, I noticed a pattern of complaints from sport team guests. Now it all makes sense. This staff member obviously had a bad experience with other groups and seemed to hold it over this group and I'm sure he will continue to do so to future sport team groups. This hotel brings in a lot of money from sports groups and should be more accommodating. They obviously do not want the business from sports teams and have a preconceived idea that all sports teams act inappropriately. My advice to sports teams is do not stay here!!!! You will be wrongly accused. My advice to holiday inn management- spend more time and money on training your employees, including management in higher level customer service and refrain from your defensive and negative responses toward your customers on the social network. It makes the hotel seem bitter , defensive and not accommodating. Why would I want to go back there? Like I said, I came on trip advisor to give a review and after reviewing managements bitter responses, I will not stay there again. I know your defensive response will be to stay at Hampton inn up the road and I will assure I will certainly take your advice. What hospitality chain does that??? I feel terrible for the families that you offended. They were so nice to us at breakfast, in the lobby and in the elevators. Shame shame on you Holiday inn express.

11 Thank Mamalove2014
Chris B, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Greetings, Mamalove2014, and congratulations on your first review with TripAdvisor. I see you're a 1st time TripAdvisor reviewer as with many others who traveled with your team to our property. I hope you find value in using this great resource with future hotels, etc, as it provides valuable information to help set expectations for the experience.

In the essence of time, I would direct readers to your other team parents' posts titled "SPORTS TEAMS - DO NOT STAY HERE", "Not Family Friendly", "Not Accomodating [sic] or Family Friendly" and "Not Family Friendly" as you all express the same dissatisfaction surrounding our response to your behavior. You make mention of "the pattern of complaints from sports team guests" but omitted that these complaints were provided by members of your group.

I'm sorry you feel my responses are defensive, negative, condescending and that I seem bitter, considering all I've done is provided facts. I'm not bitter (as you indicated) as much as I am surprised at repeated attempts to rationalize and defend poor behavior by a group of adults. Behavior that required assistance by the State Police (a phone call we don't make often and a decision we don't make flippantly). Behavior caught on camera, and behavior witnessed by other guests in the hotel. Behavior we will not tolerate from any guest, be they a group or individual.

To recommend the Hampton Inn was to continue to provide your team service. I acknowledge we are not capable of meeting your expectation that any and all space should be made available to your group at your demand. This expectation is unrealistic and by us permitting this to your group would show the satisfaction of other hotel guests is of no consequence. This is simply unfair. I recommended the Hampton Inn as a future option to possibly meet this expectation where we fall short for you. It's unfortunate you found the suggestion offensive as its intent was more noble.

Best of luck with your future tournaments this year, and wherever your future travels take you.

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

If you read the previous review about manager who called the police, I can confirm what she said because I was there. We were siting in the lobby, as paid guests of the hotel, enjoying a few adult beverages after a long day of watching our kids play baseball at SATB. Mr. Berg is quite frankly a liar simply trying to protect his hotel from the comments he knew we all would write about our experience. We were not loud, boisterous, belligerent or drunk. The manager NEVER warned us that we were too loud or offered us another location to hangout, although we asked and offered to pay for use of the conf room or kitchen area, both of which were free. He rudely came over and said you need to leave now. We asked if we could use the other areas, and he said no. He was extremely impolite and treated us horribly, which is crazy considering we were paying nearly $200 per night. 15 minutes later the police arrived and told us how embarrassed they were to even be involved in this non incident. The job as a hotel front desk manager is to accommodate guests not to treat them as unwelcome trespassers. Where are guests supposed to congregate at a hotel if not in the lobby? If you have children or are part of a baseball organization thinking of staying here for SATB, don't waste your time or money on this place. It is clearly neither family friendly or friendly. The fact that Mr. Berg, again who wasn't there, would attack us rather than apologize for his manager's behavior, illustrates the level of arrogance of the people running this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank Nicholas G
Welcome to TripAdvisor, Nicholas G. I'm sorry to see your first review was one to bash us (along with the other members of your team), instead of praising us for all we've done for you in the past, and for which you've been verbally grateful. To save time, I would direct those reading this response to read my earlier responses directed to your other team members. There isn't much more to add as much has already been stated about each others stance on this incident.

I am the first to admit I was not present to witness this, nor did I indicate such in previous responses. However, what cannot be falsified or embellished is what was viewed on the video cameras in our lobby, conveyed by other guests not affiliated with your group, and the information shared the responding police officer. I don't understand your attempt to justify this type of behavior?

I understand you are looking for an apology from me. Unfortunately, you will not be receiving this. This is not because of arrogance, as you accuse, but out of responsibility to the other overnight guests, and my staff, at the hotel who expect a pleasant stay experience and safe place to work. I see no reason to apologize for keeping the safety and satisfaction of all guests and employees in mind when remedying egregious, demeaning and dreadful behavior.

Safe travels in the future, Nicholas G, and best of luck to your team on a successful season.

Audubon, New Jersey
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My family and I arrived here on Friday afternoon along with many other families from our baseball organization to play in a tournament at Sports on the Beach. While the hotel was nice and clean the staff was not accomodating at all when it came to a large group staying there. We had a block of rooms supposedly for us to call for reservations from and unfortunately as we arrived we were placed all over the hotel. Secondly with groups, there is no place to gather and meet except the lobby which we were asked to leave the first night and the police were called the second night . Sadly this was on a group of 40-50 year old parents gathering and just talking about what had happened that day with the kids and their games. There is a large breakfast area that we asked to use that night and we also offered to rent the conference room but were told NO. Lastly as I was leaving the hotel and checking out I was told that I should not return there and to go stay at The Atlantis next time. With the amount of money our organization(families) spent staying at this hotel I would have thought a little creativity in accomodating us would have been there but I was sadly mistaken. So I do not recommend this hotel.

6 Thank KCo1234
Thank you for your feedback, KCo1234, and welcome to the TripAdvisor community. I see this is your first review. I'm sorry to see your review follows the team effort to eviscerate our hotel for having set policies to ensure enjoyment by all guests, and expecting adult behavior.

I'm a bit shocked to see that the group is still attempting to justify the behavior shown to my staff, hotel guests and even the police officer dispatched to bring order to the group. Your group was offered our meeting room, free of charge, as an area to congregate, eat, drink, whatever. This is standard practice for ball teams and the room was made available, again, free of charge. It was your group's choice not to exercise this option when it was made available to you. The Breakfast Bar is off limits for personal use by guests - I can affirm this - and this policy will not change in the future.

If holding guests accountable for their abhorrent behavior makes us "Not Accommodating or Family Friendly", then we deserve that title. While I understand your group of 16 rooms was not pleased with our unwillingness to allow such conduct, you should understand that my staff was not willing to accept behavior that would affect the other 65 paying guest rooms which filled our hotel that night.

I will also affirm that the group is not welcome back to the hotel, information I further conveyed with IHG Guest Relations and Sports at the Beach.

marlton - NJ
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We just returned from this Holiday Inn Express in Rehoboth Beach and if you want a hotel for a group this is not the hotel for you. As we had taken 16 rooms at this hotel for our baseball tornament at Sports At the Beach. The parents had decided to gather in the lobby to hang out to talk and have a few drinks. The desk manager told us we weren't allowed to stay in the lobby, so we suggested we go in the breakfast room and he told us we couldn't go in there either. He told us we had to go back to our rooms. It is only 9:00 PM and we didn't want to go to our rooms so we just stayed in the lobby, he had had nerve to call the police on a bunch of 40 and 50 year old adult who were just talking in the lobby. We travel all over for tournaments and never had we had a problem. So if you just want to stay in your room this hotel is for you, rooms are small and expensive for a stupid Holiday Inn, not many amenties. We had 16 rooms at $400 each family I guess they don't need the money, this guy at the front desk was one nasty guy. Don't recommend this hotel and would suggest the Hampton Inn right down the street.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you plan on going to your room when you return from whatever your are doi...
6 Thank NJbeachlover007
Chris B, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, NJbeachlover007. I appreciate you using TripAdvisor as a tool to voice your opinions and concerns but find it surprising you don't find yourself more reflective and remorseful about your behavior this past weekend, even after having written it out.
To call our hotel "Not Family Friendly" is a bit misleading seeing as our reason for calling the police on "a bunch of 40 and 50 year olds" was specifically because of families - dissatisfied families you offended with the drunk and disorderly behavior your group displayed while drinking in our lobby. The Group Code of Conduct you signed upon check-in is clear about what areas are provided for group use, and the associated hours. Despite being provided alternatives for gathering space and time, you chose to do things on your own terms causing issues for other hotel guests and multiple staff members. The purpose of the Code of Conduct is to help ensure all guests have an enjoyable, quiet stay, and it was born out of the need to curb behavior demonstrated by poorly-behaved groups, not dissimilar to yours. Let it be known we will not tolerate juvenile, belligerent behavior by some to affect the satisfaction of all.

Director of Operations
Mt Holly
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I were staying two nights at this hotel. We arrived late Friday morning and was able to check right in. Small, quite and clean looking hotel. Gentleman at front desk was very friendly and helpful upon checking in, and even greeted me as a Gold Club Member with Holiday Inn.
We were up early Saturday morning and out of our room by 8:45am to hike the many trails in the local area of the hotel. After hiking more than 12 miles, we came back to our room to freshen up around 3:00pm, only to find our room was untouched by the cleaning staff. I went to the front desk to ask why our room was not cleaned and the gentleman at the front desk said, I can't answer than I have not talked to them, but I'm sure they will get to it. We decided to walk across the street to the outlet stores and come back later when our room was cleaned. At 3:30pm we went back to the front desk to another gentleman and said can you please make sure our room gets cleaned before we return at 4:15pm so we can shower before our dinner with business clients. The man at the front desk said, I cannot give you an answer when it will be done. We returned at 4:15pm, it's now been 71/2 hours and our room was still not attended to.
Needless to say anymore, their warm greeting at check in was short lived, and it does not matter whether you are a club member of Holiday Inn or not, you were not going to be treated any other way then their way, and I must say that was very poor. Not one of the two front desk gentleman ever said, I will call and find out why your room is not done, or I will send them immediately, they just said and did nothing.
After the fact when I spoke to the guy at the front desk again about the room not done yet, and his rude reply was "I'm sorry but we are busy" What ever that meant? I took it as being to busy to take care of your guests. I then asked to see a manager, he said there is no manager on duty today and none tomorrow. I said ok thank you, this will all show in my review of your hotel and ended our conversation. Shortly after he called the room to inform us that he contacted the manager, and will be giving us a small discount on our stay. Really! First of all the manager was not even courteous enough to speak to us themselves, and thanks for making us uncomfortable here's a small discount. That's like a chef serving you spoiled fish for dinner, then saying sorry the dinner was bad, dessert is on us.
No, our room never did get cleaned, but they did bring us clean towels after we begged for them.
What a shame, I expected more from Holiday Inn, and if I have to answer would I stay here again, I would have to think hard because I am partial to Holiday Inn's, but my answer would be "probably not." To many other hotels close by that may offer you more comfort and better service. I would recommend staying somewhere else, to avoid the same discomfort we experienced.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Posttime
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Posttime,
Please contact me at 302-227.4030 extension 137. I did receive your voice mail, but the date and time you were available to speak with me, I had already had scheduled meetings.
I look forward to hearing from you.